2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Has anyone who attended the UT-Austin prospective weekend gotten officially accepted or rejected yet? If so, did you get offered a TA or RA position?

I haven't heard anything yet. I know my POI wants to take me on as TA, so I'm unsure what my chances are. At PSW, he told me it would likely be a couple of weeks until I heard anything. A couple of current UT grad students seemed to think if you were invited to PSW, then you were pretty much accepted. We shall see...

I haven't heard anything yet. I know my POI wants to take me on as TA, so I'm unsure what my chances are. At PSW, he told me it would likely be a couple of weeks until I heard anything. A couple of current UT grad students seemed to think if you were invited to PSW, then you were pretty much accepted. We shall see...

I hope you are right. I'm fixated on UT now, and I think I will be very disappointed if it doesn't pan out despite having a good backup option or two.

I'm not sure what NSF grant they applied for, but NSF Geophysics tend to make decisions in may or june... 

Not always.  My advisor had a decision on a joint grant in February.  I was also under the impression that it was a 'once a year' kind of deal, but that doesn't seem to be true. 

Has anyone heard from Oklahoma University off late? I mailed my POI as well as the graduate assistant about 7 days back and haven't heard back. Given that they have been extremely quick in response, I wonder why none of the two replied.

Also, has MIT ERL/EAPS made offers?

I just got a "are you still interested?" email from my POI at UH. They have apparently just started their admissions process... which makes me feel a lot better that I haven't heard anything. It would be such a great opportunity and I know that their admissions rate is pretty low.

Good! Were you in good communication with him already? Either way it is encouraging. Good luck!

Has anyone been invited, rejected or accepted to UT recently ? Or to U Mass ? 

Nothing from UMass.  What does your spire status say?

Good! Were you in good communication with him already? Either way it is encouraging. Good luck!

I was... I talked with him a bit before the application was due, and he creeped my LinkedIn a bit.

I told him I was still really interested. He does seismic work. I hope my side profile is good enough. I've only had 1 reflection seismology course and 1 solid earth geophysics course. My perl, Matlab, and seismic UNIX are all pretty basic.

I was... I talked with him a bit before the application was due, and he creeped my LinkedIn a bit.

I told him I was still really interested. He does seismic work. I hope my side profile is good enough. I've only had 1 reflection seismology course and 1 solid earth geophysics course. My perl, Matlab, and seismic UNIX are all pretty basic.

Very good.

Anyone know how Scripps COA and Geoscience do their offers? I know some people have been invited to Open House Weekend and some have been accepted, but on their website it says most offers go out in Feb/Mar, and continue into April? It also says that the Open House invites don't necessarily go to all the top candidates (seems hard to believe....)?

They're the only school I'm still waiting on and it'd be nice to know if I'm still a legit candidate, am on a waitlist, or am just in a reject pile so I can move on with my life and start making decisions (and freeing up spots at the schools I don't choose.) I'm assuming waitlist or reject pile, but that little nagging uncertainty about my status makes it hard to let go of the idea that UCSD is a possibility.

It's weird knowing that in a month and a half, April 15th will have passed and I'll be done with this whole process and have chosen where I'll be spending the next 5 years of my life. April 15th is so close, but still feels so far away.

Anyone know how Scripps COA and Geoscience do their offers? I know some people have been invited to Open House Weekend and some have been accepted, but on their website it says most offers go out in Feb/Mar, and continue into April? It also says that the Open House invites don't necessarily go to all the top candidates (seems hard to believe....)?

They're the only school I'm still waiting on and it'd be nice to know if I'm still a legit candidate, am on a waitlist, or am just in a reject pile so I can move on with my life and start making decisions (and freeing up spots at the schools I don't choose.) I'm assuming waitlist or reject pile, but that little nagging uncertainty about my status makes it hard to let go of the idea that UCSD is a possibility.

It's weird knowing that in a month and a half, April 15th will have passed and I'll be done with this whole process and have chosen where I'll be spending the next 5 years of my life. April 15th is so close, but still feels so far away.

It depends - I've heard of POIs invite multiple students to the Open House where only spot is available.

So I got my official letter from the Jackson school today at UT Austin.  I applied as a masters student, have a masters-sized project in mind with my adviser, but was accepted as a doctoral student.  I don't want to be a doctoral student.  Are they just forcing me into a 5 year project?  Or what's going on

So I got my official letter from the Jackson school today at UT Austin.  I applied as a masters student, have a masters-sized project in mind with my adviser, but was accepted as a doctoral student.  I don't want to be a doctoral student.  Are they just forcing me into a 5 year project?  Or what's going on

Maybe they have funding for a PhD but not a master's student. It would be worth calling and asking.

I have never heard of this. Email your POI. It will all be sorted out. It could just be a mistake on the letter !

Edited by GeoDUDE!

I have never heard of this. Email your POI. It will all be sorted out. It could just be a mistake on the letter !

I did email him and the graduate adviser and it sounds like it may or may not have been a mistake but I can choose this fall whether to pursue my MS or PhD.  It's a nice option to have but I am definitely going MS, I was just worried they were trying to get me to commit to a 5 year PhD which I'm not interested in at the moment. 

I did email him and the graduate adviser and it sounds like it may or may not have been a mistake but I can choose this fall whether to pursue my MS or PhD.  It's a nice option to have but I am definitely going MS, I was just worried they were trying to get me to commit to a 5 year PhD which I'm not interested in at the moment. 

You might ask if you can plan your MS like a first chapter of a PhD thesis as well, since you have this admit.  Lots of options. And fwiw, not trying to convince you of doing the PhD, but the PhD does qualify you for more jobs (and security) in industry. Having a PhD means you are much less likely to be laid off (Since PhDs in industry are more rare than MSc) as well. 

What if your interests change?  Accept the PhD, IMO.  I'm pretty sure (have seen it before but not specifically at your school) that you can choose to just get a M.S. after a year or so if that what you prefer.  You may find that you really enjoy it and having that guaranteed funding for additional years will be a nice peace of mind.  

You might ask if you can plan your MS like a first chapter of a PhD thesis as well, since you have this admit.  Lots of options. And fwiw, not trying to convince you of doing the PhD, but the PhD does qualify you for more jobs (and security) in industry. Having a PhD means you are much less likely to be laid off (Since PhDs in industry are more rare than MSc) as well. 

This too.