2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Hello

Any idea when does Stanford release their result for the Masters program in PetE? The program is offered by ERE under the School of EESS. I can see a couple of rejections for the program but no acceptance, but judging from previous years' data, they have two rounds of acceptance (the first of which should have been over in mid-Feb). Maybe its just coincidence that noone who has been accepted has uploaded their result, or maybe they have changed their timings.

Thanks

About a month and a half ago on Skype. I'm assuming decisions are coming soon. Have you heard a timeline?

I actually applied just a few days ago as the POI I contacted encouraged me to apply even though it was last minute so I know less than you do.

163 Quant is an excellent score...your profile says you got a 151...you reversed the scores as I suspected. 151 Verbal is quite low for a native speaker but since presumably you are not a native English speaker, it is actually pretty good (in my opnion). I would presume the committe would be willing to look past your verbal score since you are a non native English speaker, the key is you got above 150 so I think you should be fine.

I would say your quant score is certainly good enough to get solid consideration at any school you applied to, at CSM you may  not stand  out with that score but you should be on solid ground.

I suppose your biggest obstacle is being a foreigner applying to state schools (as others have said). Even still I imagine it is probably more likely than not you will get into one of your schools. I might have applied to one more safety school if I were you but it is too late for that now.

No one considers 163 in Q as low (at least no one should) unless you are applying in top 5, for maths program.

Read your own stats mail, it says 151 in Q which is quite low.

In fact fromchaos also thought you quoted them the other way round.

A 163Q and 151V is decent and not low. A 163V and 151Q however is low for science and engineering.

Oh, really sorry, guys, I mistakenly wrote them in that way. Yes, my GRE Q is 163, and V is 151. 

Which school(s) would you consider as a safety school for me?

Thanks again for your replies!

Oh, really sorry, guys, I mistakenly wrote them in that way. Yes, my GRE Q is 163, and V is 151. 

In the grad school world, I've come to realize that there are no "safety" schools because of issues like fit and funding. Now you might stand a better chance at some schools then others based on GRE/GPA but still high marks does not mean you'll get in. I would apply to a range of schools so maybe 2 top ten programs and a couple of lower tier schools. My mistake I think was taking my advisors word on everything and I winded up wasting money by applying to schools like Stanford and Wisconsin. Possibly a few others too but that was my situation. GL

In the grad school world, I've come to realize that there are no "safety" schools because of issues like fit and funding. Now you might stand a better chance at some schools then others based on GRE/GPA but still high marks does not mean you'll get in. I would apply to a range of schools so maybe 2 top ten programs and a couple of lower tier schools. My mistake I think was taking my advisors word on everything and I winded up wasting money by applying to schools like Stanford and Wisconsin. Possibly a few others too but that was my situation. GL

In my opinion, FIT is the key. Everything else will take you to the door but if you are not fit, you won't make the cut. No matter if you are a 340 on GRE.

Hello

Any idea when does Stanford release their result for the Masters program in PetE? The program is offered by ERE under the School of EESS. I can see a couple of rejections for the program but no acceptance, but judging from previous years' data, they have two rounds of acceptance (the first of which should have been over in mid-Feb). Maybe its just coincidence that noone who has been accepted has uploaded their result, or maybe they have changed their timings.

Thanks

Hi!

I know for the EESS PhD program that they are "coming to the end in terms of recommending students admission" and I'm for that program we should probably be hearing within the next two weeks (according to my POI). However there already have been both acceptances and rejections.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Not to give false hope, but I'm not sure you should expect a rejection letter any time soon. Considering how popular Berkeley and MIT are, I would think that rejection letters have already been sent. You may be on a wait list. You could always contact a POI if you've had previous communication with them.

Heh, turns out idiochromatic was right - I emailed faculty at both places and was rejected by both! Looking forward to my rejection letters now... paid a hundred bucks for eaCH of them ;)

Heh, turns out idiochromatic was right - I emailed faculty at both places and was rejected by both! Looking forward to my rejection letters now... paid a hundred bucks for eaCH of them ;)

Now don't I feel like a jerk? Hopefully, you'll get good news soon!

I wouldn't say any of the schools you applied to are safe schools for you (maybe Tulsa? I don't know much about them). CSM is certainly a reach school for you, certainly worth a shot but still a reach...probably USC too. UKansas is strong in petroleum related stuff...and Wyoming has a 10% acceptance rate. I think you have a reasonable shot at getting into one of these schools but I certainly wouldn't say any of them are "safe". I would imagine your profile is good enough to at least get a close look at Tulsa KU and Wyoming...so if you interview well, have a good SOP, and LOR then you should have a good shot. 

It seems as though CSM, Wyoming, and KU have sent out first round of acceptances. CSM also sent out rejections too so the good news is you likely weren't rejected (maybe waitlisted). 

Which brings me to think of probability. Imagine your odds of making it off the waitlist are 1/10. If you are waitlisted at five schools this means your odds of getting acceptance off the waitlist are 41%. Waitlisted at only three schools? They drop to 27%...Two schools? 19%

If we assume the odds are better...1/5 then the above change to...67%, 49%, and 36% respectively. 

The point? Apply to lots of schools and if and when you get waitlisted, advocate for yourself to increase your odds of acceptance. Waitlisted is not a death sentence!

Is anyone aware of any movement on planetary science at either MIT EAPS or Berkeley EPS?

Admissions went out a few weeks ago for EAPS Planetary Science. I wouldn't expect anything to change until after visiting weekend (this weekend).

EDIT: sorry, I see this has already been well hashed over

Edited by Usmivka

Guys, I have been admitted to the University of Kansas! :) But I do not know if I get assistantship or not. When do they usually decide on it?

The funding offer is usually attached to the official acceptance email (or letter).  Were you notified officially or unofficially? 

Guys, I have been admitted to the University of Kansas! :) But I do not know if I get assistantship or not. When do they usually decide on it?

It depends on the funding situation of the department (for TA's) or your advisor (for RA's). I didn't get my assistantship until a couple months after being admitted, but I would imagine that's not particularly usual.

ETA: Congrats on the admission!

Edited by turbidite

Has anyone who attended the UT-Austin prospective weekend gotten officially accepted or rejected yet? If so, did you get offered a TA or RA position?

Has anyone who attended the UT-Austin prospective weekend gotten officially accepted or rejected yet? If so, did you get offered a TA or RA position?

Not yet for me. I visited this Monday instead of PSW and asked my POI when can I know the result, he just said it may be out in the following weeks. I am not sure what to expect. 

Not yet for me. I visited this Monday instead of PSW and asked my POI when can I know the result, he just said it may be out in the following weeks. I am not sure what to expect. 

Me either. My POI told me they wanted to take me on as an RA, but they are waiting to hear about an NSF grant. If they don't get it, I will have to fight for a TA position and my chances of admission will take a significant hit.

Me either. My POI told me they wanted to take me on as an RA, but they are waiting to hear about an NSF grant. If they don't get it, I will have to fight for a TA position and my chances of admission will take a significant hit.

I'm not sure what NSF grant they applied for, but NSF Geophysics tend to make decisions in may or june... 

I'm not sure what NSF grant they applied for, but NSF Geophysics tend to make decisions in may or june...

They told me they were expecting a decision later this month. The sooner the better.

I just got a "are you still interested?" email from my POI at UH.

They have apparently just started their admissions process... which makes me feel a lot better that I haven't heard anything. It would be such a great opportunity and I know that their admissions rate is pretty low. 

Are you applying for MS or PhD? I heard from a graduate student there that there are a lot of TA positions available. Every semester the department send out emails seeking for TAs. 

Are you applying for MS or PhD? I heard from a graduate student there that there are a lot of TA positions available. Every semester the department send out emails seeking for TAs. 

That's good news. I think I prefer TA to RA, but that's just a guess.

I applied for a MS. How about you?

That's good news. I think I prefer TA to RA, but that's just a guess.

I applied for a MS. How about you?

I am applying for PhD. It seems my POI recruits PhD as RA only, so it is RA or rejection. Wish you good luck.