2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Does anyone know much about spring admissions? It seems like some schools accept applications, but how many students do they admit? Are your chances significantly lower? I know it is likely dependent on the school, but just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

I know at my school last year they didn't have any TA positions for spring so they ended up more or less just tossing out the applications. I would only apply on a certainty of available funding.

Does anyone know much about spring admissions? It seems like some schools accept applications, but how many students do they admit? Are your chances significantly lower? I know it is likely dependent on the school, but just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

Spring admissions happens more than you think because faculty get an NSF grant after the fall admissions season (they are often awarded in may/june for geophysics) and they aren't able to get a student on a TA. I think you should contact individual  PIs about it. They are mostly based on research funding though since most if not all of the TAships tend to be taken up in fall (to get as many students as possible). 

Undergrad Institution: Azerbaijan State Oil Academy

Major(s): Petroleum Engineering
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 94.44/100
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 151
V: 163
W: 3.0

IELTS Total: 7.5

Research Experience: No research experience, if we don`t count BSc graduation thesis and the other research which had an educational purpose, I didn`t include them into my application.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: not few awards: twice BP Bursary, twice SOCAR scholarship, KCA-Deutag Scholarship, Presidential Scholarship, the highest university entry exam score in the department in which I did my BSc and the second place in the university.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1 year experience with BP as trainee, 1 year as an engineer in domestic company. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Applying to Where:

All-Petroleum Engineering:
Colorado School of Mines

University of Tulsa

University of Wyoming

University of Sothern California

University of Kansas

Please, assess my chances :)

Research Experience: No research experience, if we don`t count BSc graduation thesis and the other research which had an educational purpose, I didn`t include them into my application.

You should definitely have talked about those in your application.  You should always talk about any research experience. 

Your Q score is kinda low.  That may hinder your chances. 

Colorado School of Mines is extremely competitive.  Others can probably tell you more. 

Edited by geographyrocks

Undergrad Institution: Azerbaijan State Oil Academy

Major(s): Petroleum Engineering

Minor(s): 

GPA in Major: 

Overall GPA: 94.44/100

Position in Class: Top

Type of Student: International Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 151

V: 163

W: 3.0

IELTS Total: 7.5

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: not few awards: twice BP Bursary, twice SOCAR scholarship, KCA-Deutag Scholarship, Presidential Scholarship, the highest university entry exam score in the department in which I did my BSc and the second place in the university.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1 year experience with BP as trainee, 1 year as an engineer in domestic company. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Applying to Where:

All-Petroleum Engineering:

Colorado School of Mines

University of Tulsa

University of Wyoming

University of Sothern California

University of Kansas

Please, assess my chances :)

virtua,

My stats are better (although not sure about GPA...hard to measure between schools) and I just barely got an offer to visit UWyoming (POI went back and forth on which 2 out of 4 he would invite...this was after skype interviews and extensive conversations by email) and this is still not a guaranteed offer. I have not heard anything from UKansas (not sure if this is because they haven't decided or I was waitlisted/rejected). This is not to brag on my part just to give you an idea of numbers you may have other less tangible assets that I dont posses, or you may be a better research fit etc...NOTE: UWyoming average GRE 312 and average GPA 3.42 they admit about 10% 20 or so out of about 200 applications (last year) So your test scores are at least in the average range of admittance (although that quant may be too low)

The lack of research experience will hurt but I think your work experience could be helpful. Also these are state schools and as others have said you might be "up against it" as an international applicant. Do you have outside funding?

Also are your scores reversed? The Verbal is quite good for an international applicant but the quant is pretty low (not necesarily insurmountable but it does'nt help). Either way I suppose all are plausible but I wouldnt say any is particularly likely (maybe Tulsa? not sure).

Gl

For anyone waiting on University of Oregon, I emailed the department chair (who is also an advisor I wanted to work with) and they said they have sent all of their acceptances. Those wonderful automated rejections should be coming soon... 

Also, for data's sake, here are my results:

Rejected from OSU because of low GPA (3.1 overall, 3.8 in major) and low GRE (158Q 153V 3.5W). I applied to the VIPER program. 

Rejected from University of Oregon because there wasn't enough funding. Both of the POIs I talked to said they specifically remember my application, said that I was "highly qualified", and that it was a tough call (I'm hoping they meant it).

I didn't study for the GRE whatsoever and did it during AGU week when I was presenting, so at least there's a silver lining there... I can definitely score better if I actually study. Also, none of the POI's I emailed at UO received my emails at the beginning of application season.... I think they got filtered out or buried in other emails. Since they remember my application, this leads me to believe that they review all of the applications regardless of if you have built rapport with whomever you would like to work with (not saying rapport isn't important!).  

I am quite discouraged, even though the POIs told me that the rejection was not a criticism on my qualifications. I can't help but take it like that. 

Does anyone know any schools that have decent volcanology programs, or people who do interdisciplinary stuff with volcanoes and geomorphology? NOT OSU OR U OF O PLEASE. 

Does anyone know any schools that have decent volcanology programs, or people who do interdisciplinary stuff with volcanoes and geomorphology? NOT OSU OR U OF O PLEASE. 

I think you should reapply to those places with a higher GRE and better rapport to POIs. You might do better next time around.

Schools that have excellent volcanology/geomorph programs that I know of are LDEO, University of Hawaii, University of Alaska Fairbanks, University at Buffalo, Syracuse(experimental none the less) and here at UC Davis. 

For anyone waiting on University of Oregon, I emailed the department chair (who is also an advisor I wanted to work with) and they said they have sent all of their acceptances. Those wonderful automated rejections should be coming soon... 

Rejected from OSU because of low GPA (3.1 overall, 3.8 in major) and low GRE (158Q 153V 3.5W). I applied to the VIPER program. 

Rejected from University of Oregon because there wasn't enough funding. Both of the POIs I talked to said they specifically remember my application, said that I was "highly qualified", and that it was a tough call (I'm hoping they meant it).

I didn't study for the GRE whatsoever and did it during AGU week when I was presenting, so at least there's a silver lining there... I can definitely score better if I actually study. Also, none of the POI's I emailed at UO received my emails at the beginning of application season.... I think they got filtered out or buried in other emails. Since they remember my application, this leads me to believe that they review all of the applications regardless of if you have built rapport with whomever you would like to work with (not saying rapport isn't important!).  

I am quite discouraged, even though the POIs told me that the rejection was not a criticism on my qualifications. I can't help but take it like that. 

How did you find out about OSU?  I have yet to hear back from them.

Oregon was probably my most disappointing application. I got such an encouraging response from my POI in the fall that I decided immediately I was applying there. In the spring though, it was complete radio silence. I emailed the grad secretary last week, and I have one of those automated rejections coming my way. I thought I was a strong applicant. I talked to another person who applied to the same POI last year, and told me the same story. I know it is ridiculous, but it almost makes me wonder if schools encourage students to apply so they can get the application fees.

but it almost makes me wonder if schools encourage students to apply so they can get the application fees.

They encourage students to apply because 1) they genuinely don't know who they are going to take 2) don't know if who they want will accept their offer 3) don't know the number of spots available until the adcom first meets  4) don't know who else is taking on students that might stop them from getting a new student and finally 5) don't know their funding situation. 

They encourage students to apply because 1) they genuinely don't know who they are going to take 2) don't know if who they want will accept their offer 3) don't know the number of spots available until the adcom first meets  4) don't know who else is taking on students that might stop them from getting a new student and finally 5) don't know their funding situation. 

well sure, that too i guess :)

I haven't received anything formally, but I happened to check the UNLV application page (not the MYUNLV page) and it says that I was rejected. I emailed my POI to confirm as they sounded very optimistic about me attending. They stated in an email that "our graduate admissions committee has met, and some decisions have been made, but we are still waiting on updates for funding to know how many more students can be admitted". That email was from 3 days ago and I just checked the website now. Does this mean I am completely rejected from attending or is it possible that I am still wait-listed? I assume completely rejected..

Oregon was probably my most disappointing application. I got such an encouraging response from my POI in the fall that I decided immediately I was applying there. In the spring though, it was complete radio silence. I emailed the grad secretary last week, and I have one of those automated rejections coming my way. I thought I was a strong applicant. I talked to another person who applied to the same POI last year, and told me the same story. I know it is ridiculous, but it almost makes me wonder if schools encourage students to apply so they can get the application fees.

I feel the same. I had pretty good rapport with my POI, via many emails about projects, and meeting at AGU. At AGU they told me to definitely apply. Then rejected, so soon! Such bummer. I have heard that OSU is very, very competitive. They get more strong applicants than spots available. At least you didn't get rejected in the first round of cuts! ;) 

How did you find out about OSU?  I have yet to hear back from them.

I got an automated email two weeks after the deadline. I was in the first round of cuts. I found out why by sending a nice email to the grad secretary and she told me that it was low GPA/GRE. I'd say shoot her an email, she's really good about replying. 

I think you should reapply to those places with a higher GRE and better rapport to POIs. You might do better next time around.

Schools that have excellent volcanology/geomorph programs that I know of are LDEO, University of Hawaii, University of Alaska Fairbanks, University at Buffalo, Syracuse(experimental none the less) and here at UC Davis. 

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Hi fromchaos. I also applied U of Wyoming. I had a skype chat with my POI in the mid-february but heard nothing since then. Do you know if they have sent out first round of offers?

Edited by Initial J

Hi fromchaos. I also applied U of Wyoming. I had a skype chat with my POI in the mid-february but heard nothing since then. Do you know if they have sent out first round of offers?

So as far as I understand it the grad committed met and selected "admissable" first round candidates. Then the professors get to pick one or two to fly out. It sounds like you made the first round of acceptable candidates but you weren't chosen to be flown out. It could also be that your POI hasn't notified you yet or has chosen who to fly out, but I imagine they would have done that by now. I would imagine that worst case scenario you would be on the short list if others dont accept their admissions. Contact your POI thank him or her for the interview and ask what their decision is or was...or will be.

virtua,

My stats are better (although not sure about GPA...hard to measure between schools) and I just barely got an offer to visit UWyoming (POI went back and forth on which 2 out of 4 he would invite...this was after skype interviews and extensive conversations by email) and this is still not a guaranteed offer. I have not heard anything from UKansas (not sure if this is because they haven't decided or I was waitlisted/rejected). This is not to brag on my part just to give you an idea of numbers you may have other less tangible assets that I dont posses, or you may be a better research fit etc...NOTE: UWyoming average GRE 312 and average GPA 3.42 they admit about 10% 20 or so out of about 200 applications (last year) So your test scores are at least in the average range of admittance (although that quant may be too low)

The lack of research experience will hurt but I think your work experience could be helpful. Also these are state schools and as others have said you might be "up against it" as an international applicant. Do you have outside funding?

Also are your scores reversed? The Verbal is quite good for an international applicant but the quant is pretty low (not necesarily insurmountable but it does'nt help). Either way I suppose all are plausible but I wouldnt say any is particularly likely (maybe Tulsa? not sure).

Gl

• Thank you very much for your reply! Although I`m a bit frustrated after reading it, but better now than later. Because I really need the realistic feedback, without consoling me. To be honest, I`m a bit surprised that 163 (Q) is considered as low, and you are not the 1st person telling me that 163 is low, but I still don`t know why it is low  :) I mean, is it low for the places I have applied or it is low in general?

• Unfortunately, no, I do not have an outside funding. Actually, I was thinking to pay for my education and living expenses through TA or RA, but now, I suppose, I better not hope for assistantship  :( In that case, it doen`t make any sense for me to apply. Because, I do not have enough money to pay for my education and living expenses on my own.

• Yes, GRE scores are in revised format.

Where would you suggest me to apply for better chances to be admitted and get assistantship?

Edited by virtua

There's been a UT Austin rejection !!!

That's a harsh rejection -- they have good stats. 

There was a Stanford one from yesterday though that was worse, for different reasons.

Hi,

Anybody got response for

MS PE- UT Austin- In review

PhD EER-Stanford- Just don't know where to track the application can anyone help on that?

MS PE- USC- In review

Waiting for long now getting seriously tensed

Thanks

• Thank you very much for your reply! Although I`m a bit frustrated after reading it, but better now than later. Because I really need the realistic feedback, without consoling me. To be honest, I`m a bit surprised that 163 (Q) is considered as low, and you are not the 1st person telling me that 163 is low, but I still don`t know why it is low  :) I mean, is it low for the places I have applied or it is low in general?

• Unfortunately, no, I do not have an outside funding. Actually, I was thinking to pay for my education and living expenses through TA or RA, but now, I suppose, I better not hope for assistantship  :( In that case, it doen`t make any sense for me to apply. Because, I do not have enough money to pay for my education and living expenses on my own.

Where would you suggest me to apply for better chances to be admitted and get assistantship?

No one considers 163 in Q as low (at least no one should) unless you are applying in top 5, for maths program.

Read your own stats mail, it says 151 in Q which is quite low.

In fact fromchaos also thought you quoted them the other way round.

A 163Q and 151V is decent and not low. A 163V and 151Q however is low for science and engineering.

Edited by Deepwater

There was a Stanford one from yesterday though that was worse, for different reasons.

It's because his POI had no funding probably or he didn't want a masters students. I don't even know what the funding situation is with my POI down there 

163 Quant is an excellent score...your profile says you got a 151...you reversed the scores as I suspected. 151 Verbal is quite low for a native speaker but since presumably you are not a native English speaker, it is actually pretty good (in my opnion). I would presume the committe would be willing to look past your verbal score since you are a non native English speaker, the key is you got above 150 so I think you should be fine.

I would say your quant score is certainly good enough to get solid consideration at any school you applied to, at CSM you may  not stand  out with that score but you should be on solid ground.

I suppose your biggest obstacle is being a foreigner applying to state schools (as others have said). Even still I imagine it is probably more likely than not you will get into one of your schools. I might have applied to one more safety school if I were you but it is too late for that now.

That Stanford rejection was brutal! I can only hope it's a troll...