2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Rice, no. I actually never heard from any POIs from Rice. I am counting only on my application material there. Aside, I heard back from UT Austin. The phase 1 decisions are made and I did not made the cut. Second phase will run by April and technically there are chances. But don't we all know the probability?

What about your responses from Rice? Anything? Ever?

I actually spoke to my POI from Rice on the phone. He's very interested in doing work with me but that might change because of the you know what. Really UT contacted you ? Did the department contact you or did your POI ? And yes I believe 30 - 50% of people decline acceptances to UT Austin Edited by columbia09

I actually spoke to my POI from Rice on the phone. He's very interested in doing work with me but that might change because of the you know what. Really UT contacted you ? Did the department contact you or did your POI ? And yes I believe 30 - 50% of people decline acceptances to UT Austin

Typically there is an initial round of offers, and as they get declined (generally in late march/april) the 2nd or 3rd tier candidates get there offers. Not all schools do this. For example, my department sends offers to both its 1st and 2nd tier potential students (so if they want 10 students, they will make ~ 15 offers). If all the students accept, less students come the next year ect. 

Penn State is a big oil recruiter school and so is U Mass (actually I'm unsure about U Mass.....). Obviously though they are quite far from Texas so they are exceptions probably.

Yeah I was about to say that the main "exceptions" that come to my mind are Penn State, CU Boulder, and CSM. Makes sense though, because Penn State is near the Marcellus shale play, and CU/CSM are near Denver (prob the 2nd biggest oil city in the US).

I actually spoke to my POI from Rice on the phone. He's very interested in doing work with me but that might change because of the you know what. Really UT contacted you ? Did the department contact you or did your POI ? And yes I believe 30 - 50% of people decline acceptances to UT Austin

I mailed my POI and he replied back. He is a genuinely nice person but then there is only so much people can help you with. I would be happiest man if 30-50% is true and I could make a cut but I don't come as an optimistic man.

Regarding Rice and 'you know what', I will only suggest not to worry too much. Your POI atleast spoke to you and showed interest, you might well get in. Don't give yourself a hard time, I come with a GRE of 330 and am yet to make it to anywhere.

All you can do is try and I can see that you do. Good luck for the coming weeks.

Just heard I've been accepted to UT.  Pretty excited, and I'm going to UCSB tomorrow so I have some tough choices to make.  I hope everyone here worrying about acceptances hears back soon with good news, because I know I've been doing a lot of stressing too and it's not fun.  Good luck everyone!

Just heard I've been accepted to UT.  Pretty excited, and I'm going to UCSB tomorrow so I have some tough choices to make.  I hope everyone here worrying about acceptances hears back soon with good news, because I know I've been doing a lot of stressing too and it's not fun.  Good luck everyone!

This is pretty awesome! You mean UT Austin?

1st rejection today. I will not be attending CU Boulder this Fall. This wasn't too surprising, as my POI didn't think he'd have the funding to take on a new student. Best of luck to anyone else who applied there!

Any other non-rock/geology people out there? :)  Earth science is so broad and diverse

The earth science subforum got particularly oily this year.

I've also noticed that the biology forum has a number of microbial ecologists/biogeochemists/earth science applicants this year that feel out of place there. Perhaps we ought to make a dedicated thread for non-geology centric earth science within the subforum next year, but it varies so much between application cycles I'm not sure that will actually be useful.

Edited by Usmivka

Congratulations!

It's lonely with all of these rock people, isn't it? :-P

Haha so lonely!!! 

I'm in 2 of the "standard" intro geology classes and they're kind of the bane of my existence right now. I'm more into environmental geochemistry/biogeochemical cycling.

Wooo! Same here! I'm looking to go into glacial biogeochemistry

The earth science subforum got particularly oily this year.

I've also noticed that the biology forum has a number of microbial ecologists/biogeochemists/earth science applicants this year that feel out of place there. Perhaps we ought to make a dedicated thread for non-geology centric earth science within the subforum next year, but it varies so much between application cycles I'm not sure that will actually be useful.

That's a good suggestion! Even if the distribution of applicants varies each cycle, I think it would still be helpful for those looking into advice from previous years. I guess I'll take a peek at what's going on in the chemistry forum.

That's a good suggestion! Even if the distribution of applicants varies each cycle, I think it would still be helpful for those looking into advice from previous years. I guess I'll take a peek at what's going on in the chemistry forum.

I think that is good, and while I don't think there should be a separate discussion for my field (because there is geophysics and then there is "geophysics") a lot of people applying in geodynamics actually go on the physicsgre forums!

Which department are you referring to darkstar? Any news from the Oceanography department?

I don't know about oceanography. I got my information from the Graduate Coordinator, Sandy Thoms.

Glacial biogeochemistry? I didn't know that was a field. That's awesome.

It's relatively new and tiny, but I love it. When I was looking through threads from previous years, I was very impressed with how diverse the research topics were. I hadn't heard of half that stuff before. 

GeoDUDE, I have no idea what you mean by geophysics and "geophysics"  (sounds the same to me lol!)

GeoDUDE, I have no idea what you mean by geophysics and "geophysics"  (sounds the same to me lol!)

There are the geophysics that geologists study, which is "geophysics" and then there are the geophysics that physicists study, which is geophysics..... I guess i'm a bit biased hahahaha.