2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Then? Shall I contact (bother) my POI? I mailed Phil last week asking by when are the decisions made and he sent the generic reply that I will be notified when a decision is made.

You received an acceptance mail, didn't you ?

Yes, it was a mail, my ut direct page is still in review.

Phil told me (before acceptance) that they would be done by march.

I don't really know what you could do since you already contacted Phil and contacting your POI is apparently not right.

I wish all of you got your news faster, sorry.

I don't really know what you could do since you already contacted Phil and contacting your POI is apparently not right.

No worries, I'll wait. Nothing else I can at this time.

I feel bad every time I email Phil. Can you imagine the amount of inquiries he gets this time of year? Between organizing the prospective student weekend and anxious students asking for status updates, he probably just sends emails all day long.

I feel bad every time I email Phil. Can you imagine the amount of inquiries he gets this time of year? Between organizing the prospective student weekend and anxious students asking for status updates, he probably just sends emails all day long.

I think it would just be easier on him if they don't wait until April to send out rejections

Yup, stress stress stress, probably has the same response saved to just copy and paste, lol

I think it would just be easier on him if they don't wait until April to send out rejections

Maybe they don't want to reject any prospective students until they are sure all spots are filled.

Maybe they do send rejections but just to students that reall don't meet their criteria.

Right? I finally broke down and had to email him again today. I still haven't heard anything from my grad student host. I'm flying in on Saturday and still have no idea who I am staying with. He said he sent a reminder email to them and I should hear something soon. Have you heard from your host?

Right? I finally broke down and had to email him again today. I still haven't heard anything from my grad student host. I'm flying in on Saturday and still have no idea who I am staying with. He said he sent a reminder email to them and I should hear something soon. Have you heard from your host?

Yes, I heard from my host on Monday night. She lives in a house with 3 other grad students. They are hosting 2 additional students this weekend besides me. I have no idea how is that going to work. 

I wish I could go to the weekend. I would like to meet some people before starting, talk with my POI, other students, and get a possible roomate, rents are so high in Austin.

Send me a message if you have any questions!

I am extremely tempted to ask about the status of my applications, but I don't feel as though that will solve anything.

No they'll probably just say that once a decision is made you'll be notified. I spoke to my advisor and he emailed a couple of my POIs. The two he spoke to so far their committees didn't even meet yet. Well, at least with one of them I'm not sure about the other. He thinks I was waitlisted for VT but he was kind of surprised that I didn't get notified yet from anybody 

I applied to U of Colorado Boulder, UNLV, and Texas Tech. 3 years research experience, very strong CV (lots of abstracts/outreach), strong LORs. Thoughts on my chances at these institutions given my applicaiton info below? I have had contact with POIs for each school.

Undergrad Institution: State school, nothing special
Major(s): Geoscience
Minor(s): Geochemistry
GPA in Major: ~3.34
Overall GPA: 3.3 upon graduation and 3.25 at application time
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 155
V: 150
W: 5.00

I applied to U of Colorado Boulder, UNLV, and Texas Tech. 3 years research experience, very strong CV (lots of abstracts/outreach), strong LORs. Thoughts on my chances at these institutions given my applicaiton info below? I have had contact with POIs for each school.

Undergrad Institution: State school, nothing specialMajor(s): GeoscienceMinor(s): GeochemistryGPA in Major: ~3.34Overall GPA: 3.3 upon graduation and 3.25 at application timePosition in Class: near topType of Student: domesticGRE Scores (revised/old version):Q: 155V: 150W: 5.00

Not to dash your hopes, but your GRE scores are quite low for UC Boulder. It's a very popular program (over 600 applicants) which means there are a lot of spectacular profiles. However, if your POI has enough pull, your scores may not matter.

I applied to Boulder as my "pie in the sky" application. Would love to attend classes there. However, I am a bit realistic and understand my score to be low. Personally, I am thinking UNLV may be my best option at the moment with Texas Tech second. I met with advisors at national GSA from their booth and got in contact with several of their faculty members. I know that my GRE is low but I am hoping the rest of my application are enough. PS I should mention that I had a life altering event affect my GPA (terminal illness) that was expanded upon in my statement of purpose. I spent 4-5 months working on my SOP alone seeking edits from professors in other depts. here that I am close with all in the hopes of explaining my plight in simple yet in depth detail.

I must say, the wait for these responses is awful. Hoping to hear back soon.

SedRocks,

I met with them at GSA in Vancouver and they said they were actively looking to fill graduate positions. I came away with the impression that they were lacking in applicants.

I guess there should be no harm in writing a mail to my POI at UTA. They are anyway almost done IMO. I will drop a polite mail on Monday and just hope he has a clear picture (a miracle please!) post the student visit weekend.

I emailed my advisor today lets see what he says !

SedRocks,

I met with them at GSA in Vancouver and they said they were actively looking to fill graduate positions. I came away with the impression that they were lacking in applicants.

The professor I spoke to stated that they had over 100 applicants apply for the Fall Semester with only a handful of spot available. 

The professor I spoke to stated that they had over 100 applicants apply for the Fall Semester with only a handful of spot available. 

100 is a relatively small number. As I know, there are 600 applicants for UT Austin