2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

My nice official-ly looking letter notifying me that for the only time ever as a student... I made the dean's list, was a nice break from constantly looking in mailbox to find nothing. Doesn't really make a difference at this point though lol.

Judging by the results forum, it looks like the majority of rejections go out in April.

No doubt. I've got 3 likely rejections hanging in the balance. I'd prefer to get them out of the way, but I am guessing I will have to wait until after student visits. The life of an alternate.

Some schools do (WashU notified me, put a very small number on the wait list (single digits)). Some schools don't. Columbia09, is really early, you should be freaking out if you haven't heard anything by late march / early april. Do your self a favor and pour yourself into your studies and social life. There is pretty much nothing you can change now.  I didn't get my MS acceptance until late Feburary. MS students are a low priority at many of the schools you listed. Its entirely possible they are just waiting to see if they can get PhD students before offering someone a MS. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

My current advisor at UT told me this. "I checked into this. Turns that prospective students must have a mentor submit their name to the Dean's office. Clearly no one from UT did that for you, probably because they figured you knew the place already."

Not sure what to think. Still hopeful on hearing back from them.

Undergrad Institution: Large State School solid reputation
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: ?
Type of Student: non traditional

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 168
W:5.0

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: nothing too significant
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: UNewMexico(waitlist), UFlorida(accepted), UMontana(accepted), UWyoming(visit)

Undergrad Institution: Large State School solid reputationMajor(s): GeologyMinor(s):GPA in Major: 3.4Overall GPA: 3.6Position in Class: ?Type of Student: non traditionalGRE Scores (revised/old version):Q: 158V: 168W:5.0TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)Research Experience: nothing too significantAwards/Honors/Recognitions:Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:Applying to Where: UNewMexico(waitlist), UFlorida(accepted), UMontana(accepted), UWyoming(visit)

Did you contact a POI at UNM?

Don't rely on the utdirect page. Mine still says the same and I was accepted last week.

Then? Shall I contact (bother) my POI? I mailed Phil last week asking by when are the decisions made and he sent the generic reply that I will be notified when a decision is made.

You received an acceptance mail, didn't you ?

Then? Shall I contact (bother) my POI? I mailed Phil last week asking by when are the decisions made and he sent the generic reply that I will be notified when a decision is made.

You received an acceptance mail, didn't you ?

He told me the same thing to yet from looking at the search results it appears that rejections don't come out until April. It might be different for PhD vs masters but idk 

Deepwater, Columbia09..

From reading the posts and looking at the results it sounds as though you did not make the first cut but you havent been outright rejected. If and when spots open up your files will probably be looked at and considered, until then you probably won't hear anything. If you were straight up unadmissible you probably would have heard by now. I don't have any first hand knowledge but that seems logical from what I have heard.

Columbia I know first hand one of the state schools you are applying to has not even met yet (would rather not say where I go to school) so hopefully that makes you feel a bit better.