2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Does anyone remember when we were in hs and we were told that getting into a competitive school as a grad student is easier then getting into as an undergrad. Anybody think that still holds up ? Because I don't

It was a lot easier for me. My undergrad GPA was barely above 3.0. 

To be frank columbia09, you have the lowest GRE I have ever seen for a geology applicant. And funny as it may sound, but I think getting into a funded masters program is harder than getting into a funded PhD program. Most people have funding for 3 years (ala NSF) and don't wan to bifurcate it between two students if they don't have to. 

Still rooting for you, always a shot until you get a letter saying there isn't one.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

It was a lot easier for me. My undergrad GPA was barely above 3.0.

To be frank columbia09, you have the lowest GRE I have ever seen for a geology applicant. And funny as it may sound, but I think getting into a funded masters program is harder than getting into a funded PhD program. Most people have funding for 3 years (ala NSF) and don't wan to bifurcate it between two students if they don't have to.

Still rooting for you, always a shot until you get a letter saying there isn't one.

There's actually someone I know who scored a 140 in one of his sections but he didn't wind up applying. Also someone got into Princeton with scores very similar to mine, granted he did better in quantitative and I did better on the writing. thanks for the rooting though ! Edited by columbia09

2 yrs I was also a lab tech for a little bit as well. I started doing volunteer research my sophomore year in biology then it moved to geology and eventually my thesis. As undergrads how much research are we expected to actually have ?

That's actually quite a bit of research.  I think geoDUDE is right in that funding is harder for Masters than PhD.  Almost all of the masters students at my school are funded through TAs.  And since the department is allotted a certain amount of money from the graduate department for TAs, they have to meet the standards that the graduate school has which is typically a GRE of 300.  Of course, the graduate department has to prove themselves to the overall budget committee of the university.  The university had to prove themselves to the government which initially provides the funds.  Is it absolutely ridiculous to be rejected just because of the GRE?  Absolutely.  It's unfortunate that some of your POIs didn't have outside funding.  If they did, I think you would have very different results.  And I'm not convinced that you'll be rejected from all of the schools to which you applied. 

Edited by geographyrocks

That's actually quite a bit of research.  I think GEODude is right in that funding is harder for Masters than PhD.  Almost all of the masters students at my school are funded through TAs.  And since the department is allotted a certain amount of money from the graduate department for TAs, they have to meet the standards that the graduate school has which is typically a GRE of 300.  Of course, the graduate department has to prove themselves to the overall budget committee of the university.  The university had to prove themselves to the government which initially provides the funds.  Is it absolutely ridiculous to be rejected just because of the GRE?  Absolutely.  It's unfortunate that some of your POIs didn't have outside funding.  If they did, I think you would have very different results.  And I'm not convinced that you'll be rejected from all of the schools to which you applied.

No I agree I believe I'll get into at least one. I mean be honest with me besides my GRE how strong is my application ?

A little late to the game but nonetheless:

Undergrad Institution: Big State School with stellar geology program
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s):Environmental Studies
GPA in Major: ~3.6
Overall GPA: 3.28
Position in Class: Not ranked
Type of Student: 

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 165
V: 157
W: 4.0

Research Experience: At my school: A senior thesis in geology. Should be producing a paper of publishable quality soon. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Funding from NSF to fund my senior thesis research

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Student Leadership position at a campus job, president of geo club at school

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Strong LORs with connections

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Field Camp and other field work

Applying to Where:

CU-Boulder - Tectonics/Thermochron
Oregon State - tectonics
Washington (Seattle) - Geomorphology

Lehigh - tectonics

I emailed POI at Oregon State who told me I had a strong enough application to be admitted but first round of offers already went out so I was effectively wait listed there. Have not heard from the other three but I am nervous I did not apply to enough schools or too prestigious of schools for my stats/experience. Any advice?

No I agree I believe I'll get into at least one. I mean be honest with me besides my GRE how strong is my application ?

As long as you have a good fit (which was eloquently pointed out in your SOP) and your letter writers took the time to write great recommendations, I think you have a very strong application.  A lot of students don't manage to get any research done in undergrad.  A publication could help your application, but that's also just a bonus as it's not expected that undergraduates be published. 

That being said, places like Stanford will have a surprising number of applicants with just as much, if not more, research experience than you PLUS publications PLUS high GREs...you see where I'm going.  Places like Stanford are difficult because sooo many amazing applicants apply.  It's true that there are people who are admitted to schools like Stanford without the highest qualifications, but I always think of them as unicorns.  They're magical in some way.  :lol:

As long as you have a good fit (which was eloquently pointed out in your SOP) and your letter writers took the time to write great recommendations, I think you have a very strong application.  A lot of students don't manage to get any research done in undergrad.  A publication could help your application, but that's also just a bonus as it's not expected that undergraduates be published. 

That being said, places like Stanford will have a surprising number of applicants with just as much, if not more, research experience than you PLUS publications PLUS high GREs...you see where I'm going.  Places like Stanford are difficult because sooo many amazing applicants apply.  It's true that there are people who are admitted to schools like Stanford without the highest qualifications, but I always think of them as unicorns.  They're magical in some way.  :lol:

That or they have some really good connections. I'm not that disappointed in Stanford my POI just got hired as a new faculty and will probably be setting his lab up for the first year which might retard my research/graduation. I really want to get into one of the Texas schools though. Besides all the oil connections and everything the guys down there are cute haha jk sorry after last night I had to

I depends on how well you interviewed, how strong your SOP is (not what you've done, but what you want to do). A lot of people make the mistake of making their SOP a rehash of their CV.  Almost everyone has strong letters that are connected to at least someone on the committee. Academia is a small world, even at big schools. 

Reasonably, they might have been super impressed by your application, but liked someone else more! Just because a professor likes your application doesn't mean he doesnt like someone more. If you are in a popular field, chances are you are competing against a lot of people. 

Maybe  you didn't convey enough confidence in your application (certainly you haven't in your posts here). There are a lot of reasons why someone can get rejected, like its been stated before. 

I'm not really sure a ton of research experience helps, but more like quality. Most undergraduate research is very mechanical, "easy mode". Professors are looking for evidence of being able to persevere, diligence when things aren't working. Now I'm not saying your work isn't quality obviously, I've never seen it, but there is a tendency for people to overvalue research experience that hasn't resulted in a publication. People with the most research experience tend to be people with the best grades and GRE scores, so its really hard to say whats more important.  I think research experience is important because people who have it are able to make a much high quality application with a strong SOP and strong interactions with future colleagues. I'm not so sure that research experience itself is such an important attribute (because there are some people who can do those things without having done a lick of research as an undergraduate, and they have all done well in grad school). In my program we have people with very little research before graduate school. 

Yeah, one mistake I made is i didn't put enough in my SOP about my future plans. Big mistake. Can't fix it now, and I did my best at the time.

My SOP was about 10% past and 90% future plans and how those fit with the department. FWIW.

I depends on how well you interviewed, how strong your SOP is (not what you've done, but what you want to do). A lot of people make the mistake of making their SOP a rehash of their CV. Almost everyone has strong letters that are connected to at least someone on the committee. Academia is a small world, even at big schools.

Reasonably, they might have been super impressed by your application, but liked someone else more! Just because a professor likes your application doesn't mean he doesnt like someone more. If you are in a popular field, chances are you are competing against a lot of people.

Maybe you didn't convey enough confidence in your application (certainly you haven't in your posts here). There are a lot of reasons why someone can get rejected, like its been stated before.

I'm not really sure a ton of research experience helps, but more like quality. Most undergraduate research is very mechanical, "easy mode". Professors are looking for evidence of being able to persevere, diligence when things aren't working. Now I'm not saying your work isn't quality obviously, I've never seen it, but there is a tendency for people to overvalue research experience that hasn't resulted in a publication. People with the most research experience tend to be people with the best grades and GRE scores, so its really hard to say whats more important. I think research experience is important because people who have it are able to make a much high quality application with a strong SOP and strong interactions with future colleagues. I'm not so sure that research experience itself is such an important attribute (because there are some people who can do those things without having done a lick of research as an undergraduate, and they have all done well in grad school). In my program we have people with very little research before graduate school.

I mean how much more could I have conveyed in my confidence ? My SOP was looked at by two professors in my department, one of which, my advisor, sits on the admissions committee here. My SOP basically explained what my current research was about and what my interests are. True I've been in doubt because of the GRE but can you blame me for being worried ? As you said it's the lowest score you've seen and its putting me in danger at all of my schools (again I'm confident that I'll get into at least one). I know at this point I sound like a broken record about the GRE and how it's horrible and the bane of my existence Blah blah blah but I do feel that I'm a strong applicant. I would've put in my application that the GRE does not reflect my abilities and that I have a history of doing poorly on standardized tests but my advisor told me not to. I still feel like that would've helped me at least a little bit I could be wrong though Edited by columbia09

I mean how much more could I have conveyed in my confidence ? My SOP was looked at by two professors in my department, one of which, my advisor, sits on the admissions committee here. My SOP basically explained what my current research was about and what my interests are. True I've been in doubt because of the GRE but can you blame me for being worried ? As you said it's the lowest score you've seen and its putting me in danger at all of my schools (again I'm confident that I'll get into at least one). I know at this point I sound like a broken record about the GRE and how it's horrible and the bane of my existence Blah blah blah but I do feel that I'm a strong applicant. I would've put in my application that the GRE does not reflect my abilities and that I have a history of doing poorly on standardized tests but my advisor told me not to. I still feel like that would've helped me at least a little bit I could be wrong though

I think the difference that geoDUDE! is getting at is the difference between a rote SOP that describes what the applicant has done and an SOP that discusses what the applicant has learned from past experiences, and how the applicant's future plans and ideas have been informed by that. So it's taking the leap from "I did research for 2 years as an undergraduate, which culminated in a presentation I gave at GSA" and rather, "I was introduced to [area of interest] through two years of undergraduate research, in which I learned X, Y and Z. School A's program will give me the opportunity to do more of X while also integrating A, B and C to answer innovative new question S."

Maybe your app did exactly that. None of us have seen it and this isn't a blast on you--this is most helpful for future applicants. Nobody is saying that you're wrong to be concerned or worried--you are only human--but the tone you take in an SOP and the maturity level there is really important.

I know I'm a little late. I've been lurking for awhile and decided to make an account because it makes me feel a bit better that so many of you haven't gotten responses.

Undergrad Institution: "Elite" (Non-Ivy)
Major(s): Earth and Planetary Sciences
Minor(s):----
GPA in Major: ~3.9
Overall GPA: ~3.8
Position in Class: No Clue
Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164
V: 158
W: 4.5

Research Experience:  2 years in same lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Summer Research Award from University (just some money to stay on campus over the summer, not really competitive or anything)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: On various exec boards for student groups, but not really anything pertinent

Special Bonus Points: None?

Applying to Where:

Stanford - EESS (I know they already interviewed, so not sure why they haven't sent me my rejection yet)
MIT - Civil & Environmental Engineering (only non-geo program)
Penn State - Geosciences
University of Delaware - Geology
Princeton - Geosciences
CU - Boulder - Geosciences

Edited by talkcherty2me

I know I'm a little late. I've been lurking for awhile and decided to make an account because it makes me feel a bit better that so many of you haven't gotten responses.

Undergrad Institution: "Elite" (Non-Ivy)

Major(s): Earth and Planetary Sciences

Minor(s):----

GPA in Major: ~3.9

Overall GPA: ~3.8

Position in Class: No Clue

Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 164

V: 158

W: 4.5

Research Experience:  2 years in same lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Summer Research Award from University (just some money to stay on campus over the summer, not really competitive or anything)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: On various exec boards for student groups, but not really anything pertinent

Special Bonus Points: None?

Applying to Where:

Stanford - EESS (I know they already interviewed, so not sure why they haven't sent me my rejection yet)

MIT - Civil & Environmental Engineering (only non-geo program)

Penn State - Geosciences

University of Delaware - Geology

Princeton - Geosciences

CU - Boulder - Geosciences

I dont gamble (maybe I will if I accept at UNLV), I like your odds at CU, Penn and Stanford.

^^Unfortunately, I didn't have great contact with POI at Stanford (already didn't interview) and applied to big names at Penn State (already sent out first round) and CU. I liked Delaware though and its a great research fit for me, so thankfully I have a good choice already anyway (even though its ranking isn't great).

Edited by talkcherty2me

^^Unfortunately, I didn't have great contact with POI at Stanford (already didn't interview) and applied to big names at Penn State (already sent out first round) and CU. I liked Delaware though and its a great research fit for me, so thankfully I have a good choice already anyway (even though its ranking isn't great).

My department head got his PhD from Delaware and spoke highly of it. I understand the importance of ranking but at the end of the day I think producing quality research that gets attention and published in reputable journals is the real importance. That comes down to projects and your work. Ranking didn't really influence my applications, I applied where I thought I would fit well and had POIs that were looking for students.

Thanks for letting me know, C_def. It seemed like a nice fit and my POI was great, so I'd be happy to go there as long as rankings won't affect my future career prospects too much.

Speaking of

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2015/02/university_hiring_if_you_didn_t_get_your_ph_d_at_an_elite_university_good.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_top

Just so everyone knows SDSU accepts applications until March 1st.  Might be something to look into.

With that deadline in a week, wouldn't it be too late if we haven't been in contact with a POI there? As I have stated in this thread, I applied to UNLV, Boulder, and Texas Tech but it appears I will not be accepted to any of them (3.25-3.3 gpa, 305 combined GRE). Is SDSU outside of my available schools this late in the game?

Just so everyone knows SDSU accepts applications until March 1st.  Might be something to look into.

As just an FYI, if its possible to be accepted after applying this late I would go through the process immediately. Please let me know what everyone thinks asap. My professors are already gone for the day so I am not able to consult with them.

As just an FYI, if its possible to be accepted after applying this late I would go through the process immediately. Please let me know what everyone thinks asap. My professors are already gone for the day so I am not able to consult with them.

I don't know about the department specifically, but I know people who have applied a month after the deadline at top schools and have gotten in. Its usually with an advisor connection, and they meet at a conference or something and they are like oh you should come here. 

So yes, in general its possible.

I don't know about the department specifically, but I know people who have applied a month after the deadline at top schools and have gotten in. Its usually with an advisor connection, and they meet at a conference or something and they are like oh you should come here. 

So yes, in general its possible.

One of my TAs got in this way it goes to show you the power of connections.......