2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

You might ask if you can plan your MS like a first chapter of a PhD thesis as well, since you have this admit.  Lots of options. And fwiw, not trying to convince you of doing the PhD, but the PhD does qualify you for more jobs (and security) in industry. Having a PhD means you are much less likely to be laid off (Since PhDs in industry are more rare than MSc) as well. 

What if your interests change?  Accept the PhD, IMO.  I'm pretty sure (have seen it before but not specifically at your school) that you can choose to just get a M.S. after a year or so if that what you prefer.  You may find that you really enjoy it and having that guaranteed funding for additional years will be a nice peace of mind.  

Things I will keep in mind, thanks for the advice.  I can see why it could be a good idea to do the PhD but I am pretty ready to move on to life after school, but who knows.  I did think though that PhD students were less desirable to oil companies as they are a little over-qualified. 

I am pretty ready to move on to life after school, but who knows.

That's a really good reason not to do a PhD. 

Also, fwiw, Grad school feels a lot less like school than undergrad does. After the first year or so you barely take any classes, and the classes are super easy anyway. My undergrad courses were MUCH harder than any geoscience course I've taken. 

Another week gone by and still no new news :/ Luckily spring break is coming ! 

When is this year's spring break? Will the professors still work in that week?

When is this year's spring break? Will the professors still work in that week?

Depends on the school but typically sometime in March. Only exception I know is that schools in Louisiana have spring break in April because they get a "mini spring break" for Mardi Gras in February.

ETA: I would imagine professors at least check their email during spring break, maybe even more so than usual, because they don't have to deal with teaching classes.

Edited by turbidite

Depends on the school but typically sometime in March. Only exception I know is that schools in Louisiana have spring break in April because they get a "mini spring break" for Mardi Gras in February.

ETA: I would imagine professors at least check their email during spring break, maybe even more so than usual, because they don't have to deal with teaching classes.

Unless they use it to go out in the field. But yeah... grad students and profs tend to work year round. 

Got my first acceptance of the year to San Jose State University. Full funding with TA offer and possible RA funding later. Excited to finally get a funded offer, even though it's not my #1 school. It is possible to come back to grad school after taking time off to work. 

Only have 2 weeks to decide my POI says, so the pressure is on for the other two schools to come out with decisions. 

Edited by watsondoodle

So I got my official letter from the Jackson school today at UT Austin.  I applied as a masters student, have a masters-sized project in mind with my adviser, but was accepted as a doctoral student.  I don't want to be a doctoral student.  Are they just forcing me into a 5 year project?  Or what's going on

Congratulations!

That's a really good reason not to do a PhD. 

Also, fwiw, Grad school feels a lot less like school than undergrad does. After the first year or so you barely take any classes, and the classes are super easy anyway. My undergrad courses were MUCH harder than any geoscience course I've taken. 

What classes did you take or are you taking?

I'm worried that it'll be hard, but maybe it won't be as hard as I think

What classes did you take or are you taking?

I'm worried that it'll be hard, but maybe it won't be as hard as I think

I've taken a solid earth geophysics course based on Tourcotte and schubert and also a solid earth course based on fowler. I've also taken graduate level real analysis (that was actually hard, but thats a math course). I took a planetary physics course which was just paper reading. tectonics, which was the same. I've taken a earthquake seismology course that was based on stein and wysession. I took an applied geophysics course which was super easy (just geometry and fourier transforms ect).  I also took a rock magnetism course that was pretty easy.

Maybe I found it easy because I was a physics major, but they have all been less demanding, and maybe its just because i'm used to doing a lot of maths/physics all the time and programming is my bread and butter.

Anyway, its really hard to get less than a B at both the departments I visited.   

• Guys, has anyone received anything from u of Wyoming/Tulsa/Southern California or Colorado S of M?

• Guys, I would like to know, if assistantships are usually sufficient to pay for all expenses? And when do universities grant students with assistanships?

• What do you think of University of Calgary? Is it a good idea to study Petroleum Engineering there?

I've taken a solid earth geophysics course based on Tourcotte and schubert and also a solid earth course based on fowler. I've also taken graduate level real analysis (that was actually hard, but thats a math course). I took a planetary physics course which was just paper reading. tectonics, which was the same. I've taken a earthquake seismology course that was based on stein and wysession. I took an applied geophysics course which was super easy (just geometry and fourier transforms ect).  I also took a rock magnetism course that was pretty easy.

Maybe I found it easy because I was a physics major, but they have all been less demanding, and maybe its just because i'm used to doing a lot of maths/physics all the time and programming is my bread and butter.

Anyway, its really hard to get less than a B at both the departments I visited.   

Physics major... that explains it.

I hope I feel the same with the courses I take.

And what about Louisiana State University? Is Petroleum Eng good there?

PETE here is good, but the whole university just had its state budget cut by 78%.... soooooo

So I just heard back from my advisor at UH, and I am being waitlisted. He said I had good LOR's/application, but that he is waiting to hear back about his grant proposals that are still under review. :(

So I just heard back from my advisor at UH, and I am being waitlisted. He said I had good LOR's/application, but that he is waiting to hear back about his grant proposals that are still under review. :(

Did you contacted him or did he mailed you?

Lol, i don't know... but it wasn't quite the email I wanted. I'm worried that I won't get in because of funding. I have a very "different" application, so to know that someone is actually interested, but the money is in the way, kinda sucks. I really hope it all works out.  I still have to hear from Ok. State.

Lol, i don't know... but it wasn't quite the email I wanted. I'm worried that I won't get in because of funding. I have a very "different" application, so to know that someone is actually interested, but the money is in the way, kinda sucks. I really hope it all works out.  I still have to hear from Ok. State.

I didn't mean to come that way. I just meant that it is good that you are hearing. I have absolute nothing from 5 places.

1 rejection and a 2nd round hopeful at UT Austin (standard one) is all I got yet.

Don't know what they are upto. I don't think my application is that bad. Or may be it is. :unsure:

I didn't mean to come that way. I just meant that it is good that you are hearing. I have absolute nothing from 5 places.

1 rejection and a 2nd round hopeful at UT Austin (standard one) is all I got yet.

Don't know what they are upto. I don't think my application is that bad. Or may be it is. :unsure:

What are you going into again?... everybody's stats are so deeply buried in the back pages. We applied to similar schools, although I chose Ok State instead of Ok university. 

What are you going into again?... everybody's stats are so deeply buried in the back pages. We applied to similar schools, although I chose Ok State instead of Ok university. 

Looking by the previous years results, OSU/OU will start sending invites late in March. Good luck to both of us.