2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

For anyone following my posts, my POI said one of the two people that were offered spots informally accepted. So if the second person declines, I would get the spot. I don't think I've ever hoped for someone else to get an acceptance at another school so bad before haha. I wish I knew what schools they applied to :P

murder is also an option, fwiw. 

I am in the exact same position at one of the schools I applied to so I totally get it!

Did you get any other acceptances?

murder is also an option, fwiw.

Lol! Hmmmm tempting....

I only applied to two schools, so just waiting to hear from the last one. Have you heard from your top choice??

I think I can safely say they are all my top choices! Which is lucky for me. I have yet to hear from UNC, which probably offers the most exciting project. So, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! I hope things work out for you in the coming weeks!

If you go to the site your GRE scores just barely make the cutoff (upper 50%)...your Verbal 45% Quant 60%...average 52.5%. The vast majority of applicants are going to have much higher scores in both GRE and GPA. Many of them probably have similar CVs (these are the best applicants in the nation). Why would you think you have a realistic shot at CU? It is unlikely but possible you could recover from either low GPA or GRE but both are much lower than the average of applicants at the CU. I don't mean to pick on you but I think a lot of people on here have over inflated views of their grad profiles (a few have underinflated views). When a school has hundreds of applications they use GRE and GPA to widdle down the number they take a serious look at. There are plenty of schools I am sure you would have a good shot at but CU is a top school and your GRE scores barely make the cutoff at far inferior schools and your GPA is just ok.

If CU is your pie in the sky reach school then fine but hopefully you didnt think this was a place you were likely to get into.  Again I apologize if it seems like I am picking on you but it is kind of annoying when people apply to schools they have no shot at getting into and then whine about it. I hope for your sake you applied to a safety school.

Fwiw I got into a school with GRE scores lower then his but I also had a really high GPA and other things going for me. Don't give up hope !

Is there any website similar to thegradcafe but only for UK universities?

Yes, I have been in it but I don't remember the name right now, I ran into it when looking into Aberdeen and Imperial College programs.

There's also the IHOP part here, I think they talk about international universities, check it out.

People posting on the Oceanography results page, please post your profiles too.  -_-

You don't need an account to post results, you do to post a profile. For a number of reasons, only a fraction of people who might post in the results would also choose to make an account. This thread is not very oceanography centric at any rate, so there is no reason to assume that someone so inclined has dug through the forum enough to know that this is where they might post a profile anyway!

I registered a couple of days ago and I just saw that you posted it. It looks good. Are you registering?

Yes, I have. Anyway, what else I have to do. I am not going to a school this year.

By the way, for those interested - Just got a rejection from Oklahoma University.

Yes, I have. Anyway, what else I have to do. I am not going to a school this year.

By the way, for those interested - Just got a rejection from Oklahoma University.

Damn... sorry to hear that. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ok. State. 

Damn... sorry to hear that. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ok. State. 

It's alright! I guess it's not my year.

And yes, best of luck to you. Hope you hear good things, soon.

Edited by Deepwater

You don't need an account to post results, you do to post a profile. For a number of reasons, only a fraction of people who might post in the results would also choose to make an account. This thread is not very oceanography centric at any rate, so there is no reason to assume that someone so inclined has dug through the forum enough to know that this is where they might post a profile anyway!

They could at least post their GPA, GRE stats along with the results. 

And yeah, this thread is definitely not oceanography centric. In fact, I think you are the only user I've seen in this thread who is attending an Oceanography program.

I don't see any harm if you could secure a TA position. I'll take it any day. Good luck.

Oh yea I have no problem with that I just hope they reward me something. He said my scores/LOR don't pose any danger but my chances are about 50/50. I will pray to the geoscience God  :D