2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Looks like it is from the department itself. I was wondering about the email from your POI where he said he would accept you with or without funding. Maybe others can help you interpert it.

That was over the phone........I'll find out what's going on soon enough

That was over the phone........I'll find out what's going on soon enough

It sounds like you misinterperted what was said. Either way they may have done you a favor and saved you money.

It sounds like you misinterperted what was said. Either way they may have done you a favor and saved you money.

His exact words, you'll be accepted I just got to figure out funding, you have a place here.

His exact words, you'll be accepted I just got to figure out funding, you have a place here.

So maybe he didn't find funding. I imagine the Professor has a lot of sway but in the end the committe has to approve you.

A professor in my department has a student that he really wants to take on. Department politics ensued and he wasn't able to get a position for the student because other professors received priority. I'm guessing they've brought in more grant money or attention lately.

So it is definitely possible to have a professor want you and have the department say no.

I had a somewhat similar situation and ended up waitlisted. Sometimes people talk out of their ass.

Why us !!! I still think he said I'll get admitted without funding. He even had a student who was accepted without funding for the first semester but later got funding. If accepted without funding, I was going to either defer my acceptance until funding was available or attend if they could refund me. Dark days these are dark days

Why us !!! I still think he said I'll get admitted without funding. He even had a student who was accepted without funding for the first semester but later got funding. If accepted without funding, I was going to either defer my acceptance until funding was available or attend if they could refund me. Dark days these are dark days

If it makes you feel better I now have offers from three schools two of which I consider more prestigous than the waitlist school and they all have better funding packages then I assume the waitlist school could provide.

The Professor asked me when I graduated and if I could come out early in the Summer to get a head start on the Fall. He also mentioned how he wanted me to start thinking about fellowships because he was going to have me apply for a bunch in the fall. Not only did he act as if I was accepted but he acted as if I had accepted the acceptance.

That being said I am better off now with the offers I have and I think you are better off not paying a semester or more of out of state tuition.

Congratulations on the acceptance! 

I also applied to UH, and still haven't received anything. In the search page usually by now some acceptances were posted in past years but it seems they are late this year.

Well it's good to hear that you and others haven't heard back from them yet.

As for the other stories involving a "yes" from professors then getting rejected, not so encouraging. I guess there are so many variables and hoops to go through that you can never be sure even if a professor explicitly says you're good to go. Hope that's not my case. Professors DO know this though and as a result should never lead candidates on as much as they do sometimes. No matter how sure they are that you are the one for the job.

SDSU admission is out for those wondering...I'm "in state" so they were curious if I will take the offer before they send the official letter. Apparently they can only take a few in state students this year due to budget cuts.  I'm at the point of deciding between CSULB and SDSU, but I think next week's fellowship decision for CSULB will sway me one way or the other. 

Edited by watsondoodle

Got rejected from school 2. I kinda knew it was going to happen when my POI stopped answering my emails lollz. I'm pretty apathetic, but I think that's because once I was waitlisted at school 1, I realized that I really really like that project and couldn't find myself as excited about school 2. Even if I got accepted at school 2 and rejected from school 1, I don't think I would've accepted it. Let's, hope for the best :)

Guys, I have been accepted to MEng (master of engineering) in the University of Tulsa, but I haven`t received any assistantship offer yet, do they offer assistantship for MEng or it is only for MSc?

Guys, I have been accepted to MEng (master of engineering) in the University of Tulsa, but I haven`t received any assistantship offer yet, do they offer assistantship for MEng or it is only for MSc?

When did you receive the offer? And as per most of the graduate program websites I have looked at, assistantships are given only to MSc students

When did you receive the offer? And as per most of the graduate program websites I have looked at, assistantships are given only to MSc students

Last friday, but I have applied for MSc, I do not know why they put me in MEng, probably my application was not strong enough

Last friday, but I have applied for MSc, I do not know why they put me in MEng, probably my application was not strong enough

Sounds strange. I also applied for MSc in Tulsa, the wait is killing me now !! Anyone has any idea if they have already sent all their offers?

Sounds strange. I also applied for MSc in Tulsa, the wait is killing me now !! Anyone has any idea if they have already sent all their offers?

I received my acceptance there last week. No word on funding yet.

Edited by SedRocks

I know this might be echoing many people here, but isn't it a tad unreasonable to have not sent out any notification of acceptance, rejection or "no decision"? With most schools having a decision deadline of April 15th, that would give applicants 30 days to respond to an offer. This is a huge decision, and I understand the advantage a school gains by putting a time frame on accepting a position, but at what point does this become unreasonable or wrong? We paid for the application fee, we should be entitled to a decision at least in this timeframe. 

I received my acceptance there last week. No word on funding yet.

Can you both please share your profiles on the Results page? Thanks

That was on the phone...........

I thought maybe. It might still have been possible to go back and get acceptance if you ultimately were awarded an external fellowship this summer or he got NSF funding from the February funding cycle.  But I think that is unlikely now, because you directly inquired at the departmental level without first talking to your prospective PI, and forced the chair to respond. At the very least you've made things awkward for your PI, so even if funding changed in the near future I doubt he'll be back in touch with you. If anything similar happens moving forwards, consider sitting on your response for a couple days and get some advice from a third party. Reiterating what I and multiple others have said--this isn't the end, and even if it was your last shot this application season, there are a lot of reasons to be happy about NOT being in grad school.

__

EDIT: And everything said above about the department overruling the PI can be true. Departments have limited funds, and there is a lot of horse-trading that goes on between identifying a candidate and offering acceptance. Your prospective PI is just as disappointed as you, but for different reasons (no cheap labor, increased work output, advising experience for brownie points with his faculty committee and tenure review).

Edited by Usmivka

I thought maybe. It might still have been possible to go back and get acceptance if you ultimately were awarded an external fellowship this summer or he got NSF funding from the February funding cycle.  But I think that is unlikely now, because you directly inquired at the departmental level without first talking to your prospective PI, and forced the chair to respond. At the very least you've made things awkward for your PI, so even if funding changed in the near future I doubt he'll be back in touch with you. If anything similar happens moving forwards, consider sitting on your response for a couple days and get some advice from a third party. Reiterating what I and multiple others have said--this isn't the end, and even if it was your last shot this application season, there are a lot of reasons to be happy about NOT being in grad school.

__

EDIT: And everything said above about the department overruling the PI can be true. Departments have limited funds, and there is a lot of horse-trading that goes on between identifying a candidate and offering acceptance. Your prospective PI is just as disappointed as you, but for different reasons (no cheap labor, increased work output, advising experience for brownie points with his faculty committee and tenure review).

I have to agree that by forcing a response from the department, your POI was likely embarrassed at the most, and annoyed at the least. I would try in the future to be less hasty, and occupy your time elsewhere. If you jump too quickly, even if you had a chance at remediation, you could ruin it.

I thought maybe. It might still have been possible to go back and get acceptance if you ultimately were awarded an external fellowship this summer or he got NSF funding from the February funding cycle. But I think that is unlikely now, because you directly inquired at the departmental level without first talking to your prospective PI, and forced the chair to respond. At the very least you've made things awkward for your PI, so even if funding changed in the near future I doubt he'll be back in touch with you. If anything similar happens moving forwards, consider sitting on your response for a couple days and get some advice from a third party. Reiterating what I and multiple others have said--this isn't the end, and even if it was your last shot this application season, there are a lot of reasons to be happy about NOT being in grad school.

__

I don't think he's that sensitive really. Not saying that you're wrong who knows. Plus anyway I didn't cc the chair the department did. Also person who got rejected from UT was that UT Austin ?

Edited by columbia09