2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

IDK if I have said this before but next year's cohort of students seems like it will be really small... we have only had a few students visit. 

Yeah, its a bummer.  I'm hoping for some good news from ASU and BSU soon.  

Guys, please, I need advice, what do you think of the University of Wyoming? Is it a good place to study Petroleum Engineering? 

I looked at ranking: it is closer to the bottom, rather to the top :(

Guys, please, I need advice, what do you think of the University of Wyoming? Is it a good place to study Petroleum Engineering? 

I looked at ranking: it is closer to the bottom, rather to the top :(

It is a good school and they place lots of students into the Oil and Gas industry.

Has anyone heard from Indiana? I was told I am an alternate there, but that my POI was "not in great need of a student right now." I assumed that meant a rejection, but it has been a few weeks and I've heard nothing else. It is probably my best research fit, even though my POI and I haven't had a lot of communication.

It sounds like it means, that you are an alternate therefore the committee thinks you are admissible but as stated the POI doesn't really need a student therefore it is highly unlikely you will get a position. In other words you are in a group of candidates that could be admitted but they are going to fill positions for POIs that need students first.

Got into CSU Long Beach today with TA for 1st semester, followed up by RA funding. Fellowship under consideration still. Hope everyone hears back here soon too.

Long Beach is a cool city too. Congratz! 

One of the schools I applied to offers TA positions but with no tuition waiver. I talked with POI today and he seemed very interested in bringing me on but also warned me about the no tuition waiver and out of state fees. I did not know this when I applied and am not sure it is worth attending in that case since I am out of state. However, it may be the only school I get accepted into as I have been waitlisted at two and not heard back from other two. He does some groundbreaking research that I think would be a good fit but the no tuition waiver caught me off guard. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

It is a good school and they place lots of students into the Oil and Gas industry.

What else do you know about it? 

I was quite disappointed by rankings, I made little research and almost found nothing good about it, although I must say I found nothing about it at all. 

One of the schools I applied to offers TA positions but with no tuition waiver. I talked with POI today and he seemed very interested in bringing me on but also warned me about the no tuition waiver and out of state fees. I did not know this when I applied and am not sure it is worth attending in that case since I am out of state. However, it may be the only school I get accepted into as I have been waitlisted at two and not heard back from other two. He does some groundbreaking research that I think would be a good fit but the no tuition waiver caught me off guard. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Is this for an MS or a PhD? You should not do a PhD unless the tuition is fully waived and a stipend is provided. Paying for an MS is more a judgment call, but it's probably a bad idea unless your earning potential will be significantly increased by the MS.

Also, out-of-state tuition would eat up almost all of the TA salary, depending on the university.  If you don't know how much that tuition figure is, you could follow up to see if the numbers could work with a TA salary.

What else do you know about it? 

I was quite disappointed by rankings, I made little research and almost found nothing good about it, although I must say I found nothing about it at all. 

Maybe this could help... http://www.quora.com/How-good-is-the-University-of-Wyoming-for-petroleum-engineering 

Anyway, it seems that it's good but maybe not as famous as others, BUT if oil and gas companies go and recruit there it is a good thing.

Also you could look at the publications made by your POI, it may not be the best University but maybe your POI is prolific in his publications or does research in a subject you are interested in.

* It also says in one page that their campus is not safe so maybe you should look that up.

Edited by GeoMex

Maybe this could help... http://www.quora.com/How-good-is-the-University-of-Wyoming-for-petroleum-engineering 

Anyway, it seems that it's good but maybe not as famous as others, BUT if oil and gas companies go and recruit there it is a good thing.

Also you could look at the publications made by your POI, it may not be the best University but maybe your POI is prolific in his publications or does research in a subject you are interested in.

* It also says in one page that their campus is not safe so maybe you should look that up.

GeoMex,

Good points except for the "not safe" part. Wyoming is one of the safest places in the country and probably the world (crime wise). I suppose if Yellowstone erupts you wouldn't be so safe but yea it is safe. My POI said he doesn't even lock his doors most of the time.

Virtua

I feel like you should have figured this out before you applied. You are going for an MS in Petroleum Engineering, so presumably you want a job in the field, they have connections. Are they as prestigous or as well connected as UTexas? No...but only so many people can get into Texas, Wyoming is a good second tier school. In the end if they have the connections and you get the job who cares. Have you been invited/accepted to Wyoming?

GeoMex,

Good points except for the "not safe" part. Wyoming is one of the safest places in the country and probably the world (crime wise). I suppose if Yellowstone erupts you wouldn't be so safe but yea it is safe. My POI said he doesn't even lock his doors most of the time.

Virtua

I feel like you should have figured this out before you applied. You are going for an MS in Petroleum Engineering, so presumably you want a job in the field, they have connections. Are they as prestigous or as well connected as UTexas? No...but only so many people can get into Texas, Wyoming is a good second tier school. In the end if they have the connections and you get the job who cares. Have you been invited/accepted to Wyoming?

Thank you very much, guys! You can`t imagine, how much your posts are valuable source of information for me :) Because I do not have anyone to ask about it, because I`m international student. 

Yes, I have been accepted, but I still wait for responses from other schools.

I do not care so much about ranking, but I do care about oil companies` attitude toward this university. I mean whether they do recognize this university as, let`s say, 'competent' or not.

Is this for an MS or a PhD? You should not do a PhD unless the tuition is fully waived and a stipend is provided. Paying for an MS is more a judgment call, but it's probably a bad idea unless your earning potential will be significantly increased by the MS.

MS. I agree and I am definitely looking for a tuition waiver. However, there may be a possibility of receiving an out-of-state tuition waiver and paying resident tuition. Tuition at SDSU is not terribly expensive either and the POI I would work with does some really interesting research so that's why I am even considering it in the first place. That and the fact I am waiting on decisions from my other schools so it's possible it would be my only option besides waiting and applying again the next cycle or finding a job. But I would much prefer graduate school to finding a job.

Also, out-of-state tuition would eat up almost all of the TA salary, depending on the university.  If you don't know how much that tuition figure is, you could follow up to see if the numbers could work with a TA salary.

This is half-true. As I just mentioned tuition at SDSU (even out-of-state) is not terribly expensive and there may be a possibility of bringing my tuition down to resident tuition. Again I'm only considering it because of the relatively low tuition, may be my only option and the research my POI does is very interesting and definitely research I'd like to be involved in. Tough decision...hopefully I get an offer elsewhere with a tuition waiver *fingers crossed*

Thanks for your guys' input.

So I know at most schools they give you until Mid April for you to decide on acceptance. If a lot of students decide to go elsewhere do they send out another round of acceptances after that? Does anyone have a good understanding of how it all works?

Fwiw it takes 1 full year to go to instate tuition in california. 

So one must establish one year of residency before applying for in-state tuition is what you are saying? With that said, lets say I go to a Cal State school...the first year I'd pay out of state and then the second year I could pay in-state?

So I know at most schools they give you until Mid April for you to decide on acceptance. If a lot of students decide to go elsewhere do they send out another round of acceptances after that? Does anyone have a good understanding of how it all works?

It depends. The department likely knows already who will get offers if others decline at the april 15th deadline. They likely won't review applicants (though again this could depend on the department). A lot of those times those spots go unfilled, unfortunately because they do not want ot take what they consider a less quality candidate and their 2nd and third choices for those spots have already accepted some where else.

So one must establish one year of residency before applying for in-state tuition is what you are saying? With that said, lets say I go to a Cal State school...the first year I'd pay out of state and then the second year I could pay in-state?

It depends on what state, but in California that's how it works. My department (and I'm sure other UCs) only pays 1 year of out of state tuition, after that you are expected to establish residency and only the instate tuition is waived. 

Oh Ok.State, Ok. State. Where art thou Ok. State? Why doth thou ignore me so? 

Let me embrace thee, O acceptance letter, for now doth time waste me.

But O, how bitter a thing it is to look into the happiness of another man's eyes, whence he has received such acceptance.

~Shakespeare's exact words when he applied to grad school and still hadn't heard back by March 11th

Edited by sjoh197

Does anyone know when NSF grant decisions are typically received? Is there a specific date for all decisions to be made by?

It all depends on when the grants are turned in. You can largely assume 6-7 months after they are due. For example, we turned in a grant for NSF geophysics in December  and expect to hear in May/June.