2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has heard from Stanford EESS yet? In their automated email response after you submitted the app they said that we would hear by the end of the month - but in previous years people heard towards the beginning of January (however those entries are rather sparse). I'm just starting to get nervous and am wondering if anybody has any more info than I do...!

Good luck everyone! 

I called up the department they said that the applications are still in review and that they haven't made any final decisions yet. She also told me that she thinks my application wasn't reviewed yet. 

You didn't happen to ask about mine did you?  ;)

I heard from UT Austin (acceptance into PhD program) as well today via email, but haven't posted to the results search yet. The email included information about funding and the dates of admitted students days.

Someone posted an acceptance to the geophysics program at UT-Austin today. Hopefully, a deluge of application news is on the horizon.

Oh man! one less spot for me to fill...... 

anyway congratulations to whoever it was, I hope to join him/her soon.

I heard from UT Austin (acceptance into PhD program) as well today via email, but haven't posted to the results search yet. The email included information about funding and the dates of admitted students days.

Congrats! Is UT your first choice?

Congratulations moochie! 

Do you mind me asking your stats?

Just got an email from my POI from U Mass. Again with the no funding and very little TA positions being available like VT. What the hell is going on ! 

Getting a TA spot is always super competitive, no matter the rank of the school. You are not only competing against new students, but students already admitted who are coming off grants (and already promised funding). So don't feel so down that you got rejected by schools whom your POI does not have grant funding: the acceptance rate of TAs is super low!

Thanks for the congrats! I'm not entirely sure where my first choice is yet. I applied to 6 very different schools, and I'm hoping that the visit weekends will help me figure out which is the best fit for me. If I'm gonna live/work/study somewhere for 5 years, I wanna make sure it's somewhere I feel like I fit in!

My stats are fairly unique/identifying, so I don't want to post them until I have gotten responses from the rest of my schools. However I can tell you that my GPA was significantly lower (sub 3.5) and my GRE was approximately the same as the person who posted about getting into geophysics, and I still managed to get admitted with a generous funding package. I really do think the grad schools evaluate applications as a whole and don't judge test scores and GPA as much as undergrad programs do.

Thanks for the congrats! I'm not entirely sure where my first choice is yet. I applied to 6 very different schools, and I'm hoping that the visit weekends will help me figure out which is the best fit for me. If I'm gonna live/work/study somewhere for 5 years, I wanna make sure it's somewhere I feel like I fit in!

My stats are fairly unique/identifying, so I don't want to post them until I have gotten responses from the rest of my schools. However I can tell you that my GPA was significantly lower (sub 3.5) and my GRE was approximately the same as the person who posted about getting into geophysics, and I still managed to get admitted with a generous funding package. I really do think the grad schools evaluate applications as a whole and don't judge test scores and GPA as much as undergrad programs do.

That's absolutely true did you see the stats from that guy who got accepted into Princeton ?! I'm hoping my GPA will out weigh my horrible GRE score especially now that I have to fight for a TA position at two of my schools. I also applied to UT Austin and haven't heard anything yet. :/   

Edited by columbia09

That's absolutely true did you see the stats from that guy who got accepted into Princeton ?! I'm hoping my GPA will out weigh my horrible GRE score especially now that I have to fight for a TA position at two of my schools. I also applied to UT Austin and haven't heard anything yet. :/   

You and me both. I think I'm going to start getting anxious again. Fortunately work has been really busy these days.

My POI is on the admissions committee for UT Austin... I hope I didn't sound like a complete idiot in my application.

I know I made a big mistake in my SOP now that I've been in this forum for a couple of months, at the time I didn't think much of it but now... well, I hope it does not  matter.

Yeah, I went back and looked through all of my application details. I didn't have any glaring mistakes but I didn't have the strongest SOP, as I didn't go into enough detail as to what I really want to do. I was sooooo stressed at that point in time, with 17 semester hours, research, travel blah blah blah

Ah all of us UT hopefuls... I was doing some moderate stalking (only joking of course) and saw that their graduate students have very diverse backgrounds, such as; students with high and low uGPAs, students with TONS and students with NO research experience (in undergrad). I believe this is a good indication that what we all spend our time worrying about, like gpa, gre, and research, may only play a small roll in the admissions decisions.

Who knows.. Maybe it's all just a crapshoot?

Ah all of us UT hopefuls... I was doing some moderate stalking (only joking of course) and saw that their graduate students have very diverse backgrounds, such as; students with high and low uGPAs, students with TONS and students with NO research experience (in undergrad). I believe this is a good indication that what we all spend our time worrying about, like gpa, gre, and research, may only play a small roll in the admissions decisions.

Who knows.. Maybe it's all just a crapshoot?

Oh man, I just hope to get in, it's the perfect fit for me for so many reasons.

I've heard the biggest advantage to applying to UT is being from Texas. Not sure how true it is.

It makes sense but I guess it's like other Universities where they assign certain percentages of admissions for locals and undergrads from their school, another small bit for international and such.

FWIW, I got an acceptance from Caltech today. Was told that official letters will be sent out in a couple weeks.

Congratulations!! I really regret not applying to earth science there. GPS treats its students really well.

I know I made a big mistake in my SOP now that I've been in this forum for a couple of months, at the time I didn't think much of it but now... well, I hope it does not  matter.

What mistake did you make ? Did you show it to anybody in your geoscience department? I showed mine to two of them and got their opinions on it. They're honestly probably the best people to show your essay to since they have a lot of experience with these sort of things  

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance!  :D

I am also a UT hopeful, but I am trying to not get too nervous about not hearing anything yet. 

Waiting it out is much more difficult than I imagined it would be! But I got an invite to a prospective student weekend at Duke in February, so I am pretty excited about that. I was somewhat surprised by this because I had received an email over the weekend informing me that the application deadline had been extended to February 28th. I guess their applicant pool was smaller than they had hoped? 

I've heard the biggest advantage to applying to UT is being from Texas. Not sure how true it is.

I am attending a school in Texas, and I can give some insight. A fair number of UT attendees do come from Texan schools:

1) Residency allows half the savings on tuition bills. Schools in Texas like Rice & SMU don't distinguish residency and so there is a large number of international students with a HUGELY disproportionate number of them coming from China. In fact, I believe everyone in the geophysics graduate department here, and who are international students, came from China. I don't recall having met a geophysics graduate student who isn't either chinese or white.

2) The Texan G&G community is close-knit, and chances are if you are doing your UG in Texas, your POI will know your undergraduate research professor. This means you would know your POI on a more personal level and be able to build rapport, giving you a huge leverage for seeking admissions. 

Oh man, I just hope to get in, it's the perfect fit for me for so many reasons.

It makes sense but I guess it's like other Universities where they assign certain percentages of admissions for locals and undergrads from their school, another small bit for international and such.

It's perfect for many other people, and for so many reasons too :l

Texas yeah!

Edited by prospecting