2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Is it common for a POI to say you're admitted but then the school rejects you ?

No, did this happen to you? Perhaps you misunderstood what he said? perhaps your not rejected ?

No, did this happen to you? Perhaps you misunderstood what he said? perhaps your not rejected ?

Well, I got a rejection today from Nebraska. I called the department up and they told me to email my POI and the committee chairman. I don't believe I misinterpreted him. He said that I would have a place regardless of funding at Nebraska. He said that I would be able to work for him so this is my situation now after I told my family that I was admitted. This is a nightmare it really is  

Well, I got a rejection today from Nebraska. I called the department up and they told me to email my POI and the committee chairman. I don't believe I misinterpreted him. He said that I would have a place regardless of funding at Nebraska. He said that I would be able to work for him so this is my situation now after I told my family that I was admitted. This is a nightmare it really is  

That's really unfortunate...

My guess is that the Graduate school rejected you despite your department recommending you for admission? Does the graduate school (not department) have minimum GPA/GRE scores?

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, Columbia.

Hopefully you'll enjoy good news soon!

That's really unfortunate...

My guess is that the Graduate school rejected you despite your department recommending you for admission? Does the graduate school (not department) have minimum GPA/GRE scores?

Minimum GPA is a 3.0 there is no minimum GRE listed. I don't understand this, he said that I was admitted. I'm just hoping that this is a mistake

Sorry to hear that Columbia09....I hope it's a mistake. Sometimes institutions don't communicate very well, so it could be a mistake.

Thanks I hope so too. If this happened at Nebraska then most likely it will happen at UT and Rice. Person who got into Nebraska, were you admitted with an RA or TA position ? 

Minimum GPA is a 3.0 there is no minimum GRE listed. I don't understand this, he said that I was admitted. I'm just hoping that this is a mistake

Depending on the admin structure there can be multiple layers of approval, as GeoDUDE! points out. Also, offering "a place regardless of funding" seems to me to be beyond the scope of what a professor can ensure.

You might reread the correspondence carefully to see if there weren't qualifiers in there. Certainly don't accuse the prof of reneging or act in any way churlish, but if you have an unequivocal assurance of admission in writing, that (in some cases) can be construed as a binding offer of admission. I wouldn't try to force the issue unless your PI will back you up at the departmental level though. Whereas, if this was all verbal you don't really have any recourse. There are a number of older posts demonstrating why verbal OKs may not translate into actual offers of admission.

Before you write any emails/make any calls that you may regret or could hinder your prospects, consider running the correspondence past somebody else for an informed point of view (not your paraphrasing, the actual letters). If you do it on the forums, please PM someone like GeoDUDE! or make a new thread so this one doesn't get too sidetracked from admissions news.

If things don't go your way this Spring, try not to fret too much--it may work out better for you in the long run if you go to grad school after a couple years of job experience. My personal experience is that my peers with a gap between undergrad and grad work are on average more mature and successful in their graduate work than those who continue directly. This isn't true of everyone of course, but taking the time to build your CV and hone your interests is unlikely to hurt your prospects. You may even decide that the lost wages and time in grad school aren't worth it after getting used to a 9-5 job at a living wage.

Fwiw it takes 1 full year to go to instate tuition in california. 

What I was talking about is something SDSU does called an out-of-state tuition waiver. Basically they agree to let you pay in-state tuition without actually being a resident.

Depending on the admin structure there can be multiple layers of approval, as GeoDUDE! points out. Also, offering "a place regardless of funding" seems to me to be beyond the scope of what a professor can ensure.

You might reread the correspondence carefully to see if there weren't qualifiers in there. Certainly don't accuse the prof of reneging or act in any way churlish, but if you have an unequivocal assurance of admission in writing, that (in some cases) can be construed as a binding offer of admission. I wouldn't try to force the issue unless your PI will back you up at the departmental level though. Whereas, if this was all verbal you don't really have any recourse. There are a number of older posts demonstrating why verbal OKs may not translate into actual offers of admission.

Before you write any emails/make any calls that you may regret or could hinder your prospects, consider running the correspondence past somebody else for an informed point of view (not your paraphrasing, the actual letters). If you do it on the forums, please PM someone like GeoDUDE! or make a new thread so this one doesn't get too sidetracked from admissions news.

If things don't go your way this Spring, try not to fret too much--it may work out better for you in the long run if you go to grad school after a couple years of job experience. My personal experience is that my peers with a gap between undergrad and grad work are on average more mature and successful in their graduate work than those who continue directly. This isn't true of everyone of course, but taking the time to build your CV and hone your interests is unlikely to hurt your prospects. You may even decide that the lost wages and time in grad school aren't worth it after getting used to a 9-5 job at a living wage.

I just emailed the two people involved stating that I was by ..... That I would be admitted with or without funding may you look into this ? I know what my advisor said so I don't know what happened at all. As for working, my thesis advisor contacted people in environmental consulting which is unrelated to what I want to do. I guess I should grab whatever I can get though

I just emailed the two people involved stating that I was by ..... That I would be admitted with or without funding may you look into this ? I know what my advisor said so I don't know what happened at all. As for working, my thesis advisor contacted people in environmental consulting which is unrelated to what I want to do. I guess I should grab whatever I can get though

Did you get your rejection from the department or from the graduate school? I have a friend whose POI & dept. accepted him, but then got a rejection letter from the graduate school. Apparently, he got automatically rejected because his GRE scores did not make the cutoff (I think 300?). Anyway, the POI sent word to the graduate school that he wanted him, and they quickly rectified the issue. Hopefully this is the case with you as well. 

Did you get your rejection from the department or from the graduate school? I have a friend whose POI & dept. accepted him, but then got a rejection letter from the graduate school. Apparently, he got automatically rejected because his GRE scores did not make the cutoff (I think 300?). Anyway, the POI sent word to the graduate school that he wanted him, and they quickly rectified the issue. Hopefully this is the case with you as well.

The email was from the department so I'm guessing it was the departments committee

I got an e-mail from Nebraska today saying that my app status has changed, that recommendation has been received by the grad admissions office. Anyone know how to take this? Wouldn't the dept just reject me outright?

I got an e-mail from Nebraska today saying that my app status has changed, that recommendation has been received by the grad admissions office. Anyone know how to take this? Wouldn't the dept just reject me outright?

It doesn't show up on there you have to email Janelle

Columbia09,

I did and she said that they are working on letters and will be sending them next week. What'd she tell you?

She told me to email her and she sent me a rejection from the committee chair person

Look at it this way, the rejection may have saved you a lot of money. If they sent you an official acceptance I am not sure how they can go back on it unless you falsified documents. It is possible the department accepted  you and the grad school rejected you. I think that is pretty rare but it happens, ususally the grad school requires a 300 GRE so maybe that is the issue.

Hi Janelle,

I spoke to Dr. two weeks ago and he stated that I would get an acceptance to Nebraska with or without funding. May you look

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 01:40 PM, Janelle Gerry <jgerry2@unl.edu> wrote:

Dear

I am sorry to report that our graduate committee did not recommend you for admission.

As you might imagine, competition is keen for spaces when there are many qualified and deserving applicants. We can assure you every application is thoroughly evaluated and the faculty considers many factors when making admission decisions. The number of students who can be responsibly mentored and supervised in each research area is limited, and therefore we are unable to admit all students who seek admission.

We appreciate your interest in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and wish you the very best in your future academic endeavors.

Sincerely,

Dr. Clinton Rowe

Professor of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

Director of Graduate Admissions

Hi Janelle,

I spoke to Dr. two weeks ago and he stated that I would get an acceptance to Nebraska with or without funding. May you look

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 01:40 PM, Janelle Gerry <jgerry2@unl.edu> wrote:

Dear

I am sorry to report that our graduate committee did not recommend you for admission.

As you might imagine, competition is keen for spaces when there are many qualified and deserving applicants. We can assure you every application is thoroughly evaluated and the faculty considers many factors when making admission decisions. The number of students who can be responsibly mentored and supervised in each research area is limited, and therefore we are unable to admit all students who seek admission.

We appreciate your interest in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and wish you the very best in your future academic endeavors.

Sincerely,

Dr. Clinton Rowe

Professor of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

Director of Graduate Admissions

Looks like it is from the department itself. I was wondering about the email from your POI where he said he would accept you with or without funding. Maybe others can help you interpert it.

Looks like it is from the department itself. I was wondering about the email from your POI where he said he would accept you with or without funding. Maybe others can help you interpert it.

That was on the phone...........