2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

So when all n+x people accept it, what do they do? do they reject those x number of applicants??

This is super unlikely. However, if it does happen, then they simply accept fewer people next year. In my current program, we accept on average 6-8 people and expect 4-5 to attend. If you look through the past few years, you will see that there are years where only 0-2 people accept, and this is usually followed by a year with 10 or so admittances**. If you trace the history further you will also see that there were two years in a row where 8 people accepted two years in a row--in the following year, we only made 4 offers. 

This means that your chances of getting into various programs can vary from year to year, based on factors completely out of your control (like the one above) and government funding decisions.

**Note: In my program, they will not accept people that they don't think meets their standard, so even if there are years where they want to make 10 offers, if they don't find 10 applicants they think is good enough, then they will just wait another year.

This happened 2 years in a row in my dept, they basically have to use extra dept funds to fund all the TAs. It also means that the following years less people get accepted, at least for us.

but even the best depts rarely get 100% of acceptances to matriculate, most departments are probably at the 60% level with the better ones reaching 70-80% on average.

I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of schools overextended themselves last year funding wise.  I know my department did.  As far as I can tell, I think we're only accepting about half of the students that we accepted last year. 

People turn down every school.  I think the schools that have good yield from their acceptances get about 70-80% of their applicants on average.  Schools that accept a huge amount of applicants tend to have lower yields as well. 

My program is lucky to get 50% yield across all departments. Look at it this way--if someone is getting into one top program, they are likely getting into more. And you can't accept at two schools.

If you look through the past few years, you will see that there are years where only 0-2 people accept, and this is usually followed by a year with 10 or so admittances**.

Ditto. It's like arctic foxes and snowshoe hairs, asynchronous peaking.

Undergrad Institution: Foreign (South Asia)

Major: Geology (126 credit hours)

Minors:  Physics (8 credits), Chemistry (8 credits), Calculus (4 credits) 

GPA in Major: 3.832 (in last 40 credits)

Overall GPA:3.55

Position in Class: within top 20%

Type of Student: International,female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):308/1210

Q:156

V:152

W:3.5

TOEFL Total: 113 ibt

Research Experience: RA at Geotechnical and Engineering Geo Lab ( about 1 yr), 1 paper-5th author :P

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: fresh graduate,no job experience

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: organizer of national level earth olympiad competition

Special Bonus Points: Strong Recommendations, moderate  SoP ( I guess)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: need fellowship/ assistantships 

Applying to Where:

CSU,Long Beach -Geology-Tectonics-MS

WVU-Geology-Tectonics-MS

U of Arkansas,Fayetteville- Geoscience -MS 

U of Miami, Ohio -Geology-Geophysics-MS

IUPUI -Earth Science-PhD

*** please suggest me some moderate and ambi universities that provide funds  for MS/PhD***  :) 

Applied to : IUPUI- PhD in  Applied Earth Sciences ,Auburn University : MS in Geology, WVU : PhD in Geology, Miami University Oxford : MS in Geology

Accepted: IUPUI

Rejected : WVU

Why is that ?

Implicit bias (now explicit since I said it?). I'm in a marine science program--both UMass Boston and UMass Dartmouth have marine focused earth scientists and departments that I am aware of and occasionally collaborate with. Amherst does not, but it probably has the largest hard rock geology contingent of the three. Anyway, the other two jump to mind first when I'm thinking of earth science departments.

Edited by Usmivka

Hello

I received the following reply regarding my application for Masters in Petro from Tulsa :

"Your application is still being reviewed by the department. It may be another week or two before we receive a decision from the department. We thank you for your patience during this busy time. "

I have heard that the department has already sent some acceptances. Does that mean that the first round of acceptances have already been sent and I should wait if the department decides to send the second round of acceptances? Or are acceptances sent on rolling basis at Tulsa?

Well I received my rejection from Texas today as well, on my birthday nonetheless. Happy birthday to me.....

So I'm out of three schools (OU, UT, CSM), waitlisted at two schools (Kansas, Texas Tech) and yet to hear from two schools (A&M, UH).

I would update it on the bottom banner (?) if I knew how. Congrats to all who have received good news. 

Got my rejection from UT and an acceptance from CSM!!!

Congrats! That's awesome news. Also, an excellent reason to stay optimistic this late in the application season.

Congrats! That's awesome news. Also, an excellent reason to stay optimistic this late in the application season.

I'd definitely say so! I was contacted by my POI and interviewed the next day. Totally out of the blue, but I'm extremely excited!

With being waitlisted for funding at UH, rejected at UT, and no word from OkState... I've started looking for jobs. Lol

Sjoh, 

When did you hear from UH? I saw your name on the list of the other applicants from that school. Also heard from another credible source who was accepted without funding, so I don't see why they would waitlist you. 

I heard from my POI directly. He wasn't able to secure a TA position, and is still waiting to hear back from his grants. So he said he would put me on a waitlist and see what happens basically. 

I didn't know UH even admitted without funding... perhaps that might happen with me. I don't really know if I can afford it though lol.

I heard from my POI directly. He wasn't able to secure a TA position, and is still waiting to hear back from his grants. So he said he would put me on a waitlist and see what happens basically. 

I didn't know UH even admitted without funding... perhaps that might happen with me. I don't really know if I can afford it though lol.

Out of state wise at UH its around 20k ish for the first year (off the top of my head). However, after the first year you might get funding for your second year, and tuition for instate students would drop you down to only 8k for the year. Hopefully you get accepted.