2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Still waiting to hear from Ole Miss, CSULB (doubtful, no POI taking students), and UNLV (wait-listed). Still awaiting possible funding for Texas Tech (visiting their campus next week) and CSU Chico. Ugh!

I think it's pretty unfair to address these issues as if they are simply black or white, Columbia.

For instance, let's say hypothetically you REALLY REALLY wanted to go into O&G and your only admit was to UT-Austin with the caveat that funding for your first semester, or first year, may not be guaranteed. Requiring you to pay out of pocket for some period of time. Let's continue this by saying your hypothetical prof has all sorts of connections with the industry.

Would you not accept this offer?

It's easy to say you wouldn't, sure. But I think what's best for each person individually is what's really important.

I can see where you are coming from but for the record no I would not take that offer lol. Connections still doesn't garuentee that you'll get a job for example my advisor at my current school had connects with my POIs and almost all of them said no to me. I think another fact that must be considered is how much debt you have. Someone who has 5,000 dollars in debt will probably make a different choice vs someone with 70,000 + dollars in debt especially if they only got into a private or out of state school that costs 28,000 + a year. Some people want to gamble and others want to play it safe. I was told by multiple people here that of not offered funding to not accept the offer and reapply. Originally I was skeptical but by looking at what the school would cost, what expenses I would have to lay out etc, it wasn't worth it for me. Again my situation and my opinion Edited by columbia09

I can see where you are coming from but for the record no I would not take that offer lol. Connections still doesn't garuentee that you'll get a job for example my advisor at my current school had connects with my POIs and almost all of them said no to me. I think another fact that must be considered is how much debt you have. Someone who has 5,000 dollars in debt will probably make a different choice vs someone with 70,000 + dollars in debt especially if they only got into a private or out of state school that costs 28,000 + a year. Some people want to gamble and others want to play it safe. I was told by multiple people here that of not offered funding to not accept the offer and reapply. Originally I was skeptical but by looking at what the school would cost, what expenses I would have to lay out etc, it wasn't worth it for me. Again my situation and my opinion

Right. Your situation your opinion. I just felt those weighing partially funded options could use more constructive comments is all.

I can see where you are coming from but for the record no I would not take that offer lol. Connections still doesn't garuentee that you'll get a job for example my advisor at my current school had connects with my POIs and almost all of them said no to me. I think another fact that must be considered is how much debt you have. Someone who has 5,000 dollars in debt will probably make a different choice vs someone with 70,000 + dollars in debt especially if they only got into a private or out of state school that costs 28,000 + a year. Some people want to gamble and others want to play it safe. I was told by multiple people here that of not offered funding to not accept the offer and reapply. Originally I was skeptical but by looking at what the school would cost, what expenses I would have to lay out etc, it wasn't worth it for me. Again my situation and my opinion

I tend to agree with this thinking- it's not worth it if you have to pay, especially with the current geoscience job market. Hard rock, exploration, O & G, minerals are all doing bad. Government agencies have scaled back alot lately and pay poorly.  Only environmental is doing OK.  Is oil/hard rock/minerals going to recover in 2 years? Probably not. Sometimes I even wonder about my decision to go to grad school with my current funded offer. A potentially 50k+ loan isn't worth a M.S. in Geology right now. 

Edited by watsondoodle

I tend to agree with this thinking- it's not worth it if you have to pay, especially with the current geoscience job market. Hard rock, exploration, O & G, minerals are all doing bad. Government agencies have scaled back alot lately and pay poorly. Only environmental is doing OK. Is oil/hard rock/minerals going to recover in 2 years? Probably not. Sometimes I even wonder about my decision to go to grad school with my current funded offer. A potentially 50k+ loan isn't worth a M.S. in Geology right now.

What school ?

Undergrad Institution: IIT Kharagpur, India
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s): Chemistry, Maths
GPA in Major: 3.82
Overall GPA: 3.70
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: International, male
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 145
V: 162
W: 3.50

TOEFL Total: 106 ibT

Research Experience: summer intern at a geochemistry lab. experience with instruments like ICPMS, TIMS, LA-ICPMS, EPMA, Raman Spectrometer, SEM. 1 year dissertation project on metamorphic geochemistry.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Merit cum means scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: tutor (at home to needy students)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Summer intern guide very famous. Did PhD from Rochester and post-doc from Harvard.

Applying to Where:

Rice- selected with TA (accepted)
Florida State University- selected with RA

UNLV- rejection

USC- rejection

UoI- rejection

UK- rejection

Looking for accommodation near Rice. Also looking for a room partner. Please contact here if applicable.. 

Just to play devil's advocate -- if you aren't competitive enough to get the funded grad school positions now, what makes you think you'll be competitive enough for jobs later?

Being competitive for a job and funding for graduate school are not necessarily related (they could be, but don't have to be).

I think what I am trying to get at is that most people I have spoke with have this sense of entitlement for full financial support. Somewhere along the lines of, "I refuse to go to Graduate school unless its fully funded, and I will not accept anything else." The honest truth is that a lot of schools only take students they can fund; however, other schools may take 20 students but only fully fund 3 of them. Does that mean the other 17 should pass on that offer until they too can receive funding?  I believe if you absolutely need your masters degree to get the job you wish, then do not stress the extra money unless it is extremely expensive. The guy who originally posted had TA offers but would still end up with are 5k a year in tuition (and that is a good offer rather than saying no to graduate school in general).

Being competitive for a job and funding for graduate school are not necessarily related (they could be, but don't have to be).

I think what I am trying to get at is that most people I have spoke with have this sense of entitlement for full financial support. Somewhere along the lines of, "I refuse to go to Graduate school unless its fully funded, and I will not accept anything else." The honest truth is that a lot of schools only take students they can fund; however, other schools may take 20 students but only fully fund 3 of them. Does that mean the other 17 should pass on that offer until they too can receive funding? I believe if you absolutely need your masters degree to get the job you wish, then do not stress the extra money unless it is extremely expensive. The guy who originally posted had TA offers but would still end up with are 5k a year in tuition (and that is a good offer rather than saying no to graduate school in general).

Yea, this was my original argument as well. Although, I didn't do the greatest job clarifying this..

I think what I am trying to get at is that most people I have spoke with have this sense of entitlement for full financial support. Somewhere along the lines of, "I refuse to go to Graduate school unless its fully funded, and I will not accept anything else." The honest truth is that a lot of schools only take students they can fund; however, other schools may take 20 students but only fully fund 3 of them. Does that mean the other 17 should pass on that offer until they too can receive funding?  I believe if you absolutely need your masters degree to get the job you wish, then do not stress the extra money unless it is extremely expensive. The guy who originally posted had TA offers but would still end up with are 5k a year in tuition (and that is a good offer rather than saying no to graduate school in general).

Good points :)

I am in the "refuse to go to Graduate School unless it's fully funded" camp because I am thinking about PhD programs when I make these statements. In these programs, it is definitely the norm to fully fund students and I think that not getting a fully funded offer is kind of a red flag (that the program would make such an offer but also that it might mean your application was fairly uncompetitive). 

I completely agree with these sentiments though in reference to terminal Masters programs that provide a good opportunity for a good job afterwards.

Good points :)

I am in the "refuse to go to Graduate School unless it's fully funded" camp because I am thinking about PhD programs when I make these statements. In these programs, it is definitely the norm to fully fund students and I think that not getting a fully funded offer is kind of a red flag (that the program would make such an offer but also that it might mean your application was fairly uncompetitive). 

I completely agree with these sentiments though in reference to terminal Masters programs that provide a good opportunity for a good job afterwards.

Yes, the conversation here is bifurcating based on expectations about 1. academia, or 2. a terminal masters. The latter is like a professional degree, and it is not unreasonable to evaluate the costs, benefits, and risks in the same way one might if they were getting an MBA or JD. However, once you are on track to a PhD and subsequent postdoc, accepting dept makes little sense, even if you later decide to leave academia.

For example, I'll be in my mid thirties by the time I finish my first postdoc--I will never make up the "lost" income from my years as a grad student compared to what I might have made in industry, as whatever my initial salary is will not have sufficient time to grow (should I be so lucky as to work for an employer that provides raises beyond inflation, eg no university ever). Taking on any debt at all would be extremely poor financial judgement compared to working and reapplying to school later or never.

Consider doing a return on investment calculation (eg http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2014/09/30/is-grad-school-worth-it-7-steps-to-calculating-the-roi/) to see whether debt makes any sense for you and your specific circumstances.

Edited by Usmivka

So I am about a week away from a big decision and I keep having second thoughts. Here is my situation again: I have an offer that includes a TAship with about a $15k/year stipend. However, the school does not do tuition waivers so I'd have to pay about $15k/year in tuition. I am lucky enough to have very generous and loving parents who are willing to pay $20k/year for me. However, it is not so easy for me to accept because of the guilt factor and the mentality that I should be able to get full funding somewhere that includes a tuition waiver. However, this is my best offer on the table and I'm not sure that will change. Any thoughts?

So I am about a week away from a big decision and I keep having second thoughts. Here is my situation again: I have an offer that includes a TAship with about a $15k/year stipend. However, the school does not do tuition waivers so I'd have to pay about $15k/year in tuition. I am lucky enough to have very generous and loving parents who are willing to pay $20k/year for me. However, it is not so easy for me to accept because of the guilt factor and the mentality that I should be able to get full funding somewhere that includes a tuition waiver. However, this is my best offer on the table and I'm not sure that will change. Any thoughts?

So, my first question is- have you aquired any debt from your undergraduate studies? secondly, is this a Phd or an MS degree we are talking about? Thrice, is the school somewhere you WANT to be with a project you WANT to work on?

I'm sure others will have other questions that may help you but those are the first I thought of.

So, my first question is- have you aquired any debt from your undergraduate studies? secondly, is this a Phd or an MS degree we are talking about? Thrice, is the school somewhere you WANT to be with a project you WANT to work on?

I'm sure others will have other questions that may help you but those are the first I thought of.

I have acquired a small amount of debt in undergrad but under $10k and I am not overly concerned about it (but maybe I should be?). This is an MS degree and yes it is somewhere I want to be with a project I do want to work on. 

I have acquired a small amount of debt in undergrad but under $10k and I am not overly concerned about it (but maybe I should be?). This is an MS degree and yes it is somewhere I want to be with a project I do want to work on.

I wish I only had 10, 000 k in debt -_-

How do we all think the O&G industry will be in a couple years?  Going into my first year of a masters at UT Austin so I'm hoping I'll get an internship and be fine, but idk how bad it is

How do we all think the O&G industry will be in a couple years?  Going into my first year of a masters at UT Austin so I'm hoping I'll get an internship and be fine, but idk how bad it is

You need to start trying to get an O&G internship now for summer of 2016, fwiw. 

How do we all think the O&G industry will be in a couple years? Going into my first year of a masters at UT Austin so I'm hoping I'll get an internship and be fine, but idk how bad it is

I would also suggest talking to your prospective prof about his industry connections. In my experiences, if you are well liked, professors will jump through hoops to get you an internship. This has been my experience, at least.

Undergrad Institution: Top100 school outside US
Major(s): Geological Engineering
Minor(s): na
GPA in Major: 3.92 by the time of application
Overall GPA: 3.63
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: international male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161 80%
V: 145 25%
W: 3.5 38%

TOEFL Total:  IELTS banch score 7

Research Experience: unpublished, fields: sedimentology, stratigraphy

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: deans honor list and several scholarship awards 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2 industry internships

I have applied to Rice University Earth Science PhD program, but still haven't received any offer and got rejections from other applications.

my question is about the contacting POI, when I was applying I think I did the most stupid thing I could have. I didn't contact any professor in the grad school and just listed them in the application. Considering horrible gre scores as well, can I get any offer late this season? or do universities accept students without contacting POI's as the final decision is up to them

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have got admit from USC in MS Petroleum program Fall 2015, as of now the letter doesn't say anything about funding.

Did anybody else received funding for the program or can guide about the same?

Program is expensive and is it worth to put up that kind of money in loan?