Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey ppl applying to 2 year MSW at carelton,

I just spoke on the phone to sue Brady and she said that admission decisions are going out in a week to a week and a half so not today .... She said the earliest would be end of the week and latest is last day of feb!

Just wanted to provide an update! Hold tight everyone!!!

nutella 14 - thank you for the reply! :) I am less interested in the clinical social worker designation than I am in the actual content covered in the courses taken at a clinical school. My roommate is a social worker in a clinical area in Vancouver (she is a therapist at a residential treatment facility for people with eating disorders), and actually went to U of C herself, but did not end up going for the clinical designation because she saw no benefit to her in her career. She has met all the requirements with her coursework and her hours, but is choosing not to pursue that route. That being said, she is an amazing therapist, and she credits much of it to the strong base she obtained from getting her education at a clinical MSW program. Does that make sense? :) I may or may not go for that designation after finishing my MSW, but more importantly I would like to say I got the education I desired. 

One thing I am concerned about is entering the job market in a city where I did not go to school. That's another reason why I wanted to go to Calgary for my practicum - making connections! It would be a little harder to go to U of T for my MSW and practicum, and then move back to Calgary without any contacts in the field. Challenging, but not impossible, I suppose. 

The 2 Year Admissions feels so far away and with the Advanced Standing applicants awaiting their letters so soon, I feel even more impatient now ! Good luck to everyone :)

I feel the same way, I tried to tell myself that I'd wait patiently for the letter to physically arrive in the mail this year as opposed to obsessively checking ROSI every 2 minutes but something tells me that is not going to happen I am already starting to get antsy from waiting. 

Looking through some of UofT's co-op options online makes me even more excited for the opportunity to attend their program, fingers crossed. 

Good luck to everyone who has started hearing back from schools :)

Thank you!! Now I will stop refreshing the portal every 5 minutes haha. That makes me feel so much better - I can actually concentrate on all the work I have to do this week :)! Thank you. 

I just spoke on the phone to sue Brady and she said that admission decisions are going out in a week to a week and a half so not today .... She said the earliest would be end of the week and latest is last day of feb!

Just wanted to relax some people applying to York - technically they had 750 applicants for 80 spaces total last year.  They had 20 spaces for 2 year, 40 for advanced standing and 20 for PT advanced standing, with 750 applicants total.  They don't actually break down the applications, so maybe that sounds better than 750 for 20?

Hey jjmr89, 

I am also hoping to become a therapist, and work with clients who are battling eating disorders! :)

I also applied to UBCO but am still waiting to hear back. I didn't submit my application until close to the deadline - how about you? 

It's super daunting to me to move away from everyone I know, including my partner, for a whole year. If it's any consolation, you won't be alone. Many other people will be in the same boat. You may also want to look into doing your practicum throughout the school year. It sounds like a lot of work, but sometimes they will allow students to do practicum 2 days/week concurrently with coursework.

I also applied to UofT - they are a really good clinical program too, so no worries there. 

Good luck!! 

Edited by cheekss

Just wanted to relax some people applying to York - technically they had 750 applicants for 80 spaces total last year.  They had 20 spaces for 2 year, 40 for advanced standing and 20 for PT advanced standing, with 750 applicants total.  They don't actually break down the applications, so maybe that sounds better than 750 for 20?

Hey wxyyyz

Did you get those numbers from the forum or from York??

I emailed them in October and they said:

"We receive over 500+ applications for the 2 YR MSW program and we accept 20 applications. 

Most students that we accept have an A range GPA, that is not to say that we do not and have not accepted students with a B+ average however, the higher your GPA the better.    This program is a very competitive program to gain entrance to."

:(

Did she happen to say anything rejection letters? Will they be sent at the same time as admissions? 

They're from the York site.

I guess that means that over 500 of the 750 applicants were applying to the 2 year, so that's good news for advanced standing applicants I guess?

I was just pointing out that their info on the website doesn't break down applicants in terms of which program they applied for.

Not that there's anything we can do to change the future by talking about it, but everyone seems so anxious! I know I can't focus well right now, waiting.

Cheekss - I applied just before Christmas, I believe… though my documents were not all submitted and confirmed until early January. From what it sounds like, they are processing applications as they receive them. I talked to someone who knows a few current MSW students at UBCO and apparently they did not find out about their acceptance until March.

Awesome to connect with another person who wants to work in the eating disorders field! If I could do my practicum during the school year at UBCO, I totally would. I will look into that as an option. It appears as though UBCO’s course load is a bit more intense – there are nine courses to complete on top of practicum, as opposed to U of T’s six. This would make it more challenging to do the practicum during the year at UBCO, but not impossible, especially if it were only a two day per week placement. That all being said, the difference in required courses makes me wonder if U of T’s program is simply more dense (i.e. the required courses are more demanding and that is why there are fewer of them compared to UBCO). Or maybe their program is actually less intense overall. I suppose it is hard to say without hearing from people who have taken the programs.   

I keep checking my phone all day and obviously, nothing.  What is even more scary is coming on here to see if someone has said, "I got an acceptance email from Laurier!" because once that happens I know all hope is lost.  I just want to know one way or another.  This is going to be a very long week!

I wish schools would just aim for one day when everything was announced. I would call my schools and ask for a timeline if I didn't think I would sound like a complete crazy person on the phone.

I agree! 

nutella 14 - thank you for the reply! :) I am less interested in the clinical social worker designation than I am in the actual content covered in the courses taken at a clinical school. My roommate is a social worker in a clinical area in Vancouver (she is a therapist at a residential treatment facility for people with eating disorders), and actually went to U of C herself, but did not end up going for the clinical designation because she saw no benefit to her in her career. She has met all the requirements with her coursework and her hours, but is choosing not to pursue that route. That being said, she is an amazing therapist, and she credits much of it to the strong base she obtained from getting her education at a clinical MSW program. Does that make sense? :) I may or may not go for that designation after finishing my MSW, but more importantly I would like to say I got the education I desired. 

My cousin did the MSW program at U of T and there are lots of great clinical opportunities. She has been a family therapist for 5+ years since completing the program. What stream did you apply to? I know that U of T has a wide range of hospital placements, they also have connections with family therapy agencies such as Hincks-Dellcrest, Reach Out Centre for Kids, Oolagen Community Services, etc. From what I've been told the health and mental health stream is a better bet if you're hoping to do hospital social work, but the children and families stream has a lot more courses related to therapeutic intervention (e.g. learning how to conduct narrative therapy, solution-focused therapy, etc).

I wish schools would just aim for one day when everything was announced. I would call my schools and ask for a timeline if I didn't think I would sound like a complete crazy person on the phone.

Agreed! I remember last year when I was in the final semester of fourth year all my friends were applying to teacher's college and they knew that all responses would be on April 1 and only on April 1. I could hardly focus through exams and final assignments while they knew exactly when they would all find out. Hopefully this year they will magically finish decisions super early :) 

Did she happen to say anything rejection letters? Will they be sent at the same time as admissions? 

she didnt say ... however i am sure u can call up and ask ... 

also do you think if we call up and just say "i really need to know if i was accepted or not" then they would just tell us over the phone? 

I want to know sooo badly ... I cant wait! 

I agree. I have called up schools multiple times and ask general questions without revealing my name... that way if i sound like a crazy person and they are starting to feel harassed. .. they wont connect it back to me :P

I just want to know soo badly! 

I really don't think they could divulge that information. My guess is that they technically probably don't know yet since it still has to get approved by the graduate faculty so they wouldn't be able to tell you if you got in or not. My suggestion would be try and be as patient as possible. I know that seems like something impossible to do but I'm looking at it this way. They said they are not releasing any information before Friday - so basically until Friday there's no point in thinking about it because we won't get an answer regardless. On friday we can have mini freakouts throughout the day, but if by 5pm we still haven't heard anything, then it will go until Monday. 

I'm leaving for Cancun Tuesday morning so... half of me wants to know before I leave so I can celebrate, but half of me doesn't because I don't want it to ruin my trip if it's a rejection. But I would deff be interested in knowing when they are sending rejection letters. I'm too nervous to call though, haha. 

she didnt say ... however i am sure u can call up and ask ... 

also do you think if we call up and just say "i really need to know if i was accepted or not" then they would just tell us over the phone? 

I want to know sooo badly ... I cant wait! 

My cousin did the MSW program at U of T and there are lots of great clinical opportunities. She has been a family therapist for 5+ years since completing the program. What stream did you apply to? I know that U of T has a wide range of hospital placements, they also have connections with family therapy agencies such as Hincks-Dellcrest, Reach Out Centre for Kids, Oolagen Community Services, etc. From what I've been told the health and mental health stream is a better bet if you're hoping to do hospital social work, but the children and families stream has a lot more courses related to therapeutic intervention (e.g. learning how to conduct narrative therapy, solution-focused therapy, etc).

I applied to the health and mental health stream... to be honest I didn't even look at the children and families stream, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have considered it.  Sounds like there are so many great placement agencies in Toronto! :)

purplegrey - Have a great time in Cancun!  Hopefully when you get back you will have some awesome news!  I wish I could go away somewhere.  The only thing "distracting" me from waiting for an answer is my kids science fair tomorrow.  I spent the entire night with a stick of glue helping putting together two display boards (the fun of having two kids a grade apart in school - double all the assignments!) :rolleyes:  So much fun! :P

jjmr89 - A lot of the placement opportunities are available for a number of different streams.  There are definitely TONS of options so I'm sure if you get in you will find something you love.  I am hoping to get a placement totally outside of my previous field of work to diversify my resume.  I've been working in the field of sexual assault/domestic violence for the last 6 years so I am wanting to be really open to placement opportunities and just find something where I can do a lot of learning.

For those of you in Ontario applying to advanced standing MSW programs, have you tried to enter the job market with a BSW? I graduated with my BSW in May 2014 and found it really difficult to find a job in the GTA/Kitchener/Guelph/Waterloo/etc area. I ended up moving to Alberta for a six month contract in July 2014. My contract recently ended and I chose not to renew (rural Alberta honestly is just not for me...). As of now I'm trying to decide if I should just move back to Ontario whether or not I get into an MSW program and try to find work.. or if I should try to land a job in Calgary or Edmonton as those cities at least seem less competitive than the GTA.  I would love to hear people's experiences of trying to find work in the GTA! :)

Edited by sdp732