Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I've been looking for ways to cope with the anxiety brought on by the prospect of not getting accepted (I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.)

Just now, I made an intensive list of everything I could do with a year off for both personal growth as well as academic benefit for future applications (i.e. finally read the entire harry potter series (I haven't, don't judge), take up regular meditation, have months to focus on writing amazing mission statements for next round of applications, etc.). Writing the list was the first thing that helped me feel better about the idea of not getting in, which I have to accept is a very possible reality. 

I just thought I'd share because I think it's a very valuable exercise if this application process is really getting to you as it is to me!  :)

I want to thank  you for this post. Because, after reading this, I did exactly that. I feel so MUCH better. Life does not end with a rejection from masters (ah heart breaks as I say that!). The anxiety had made me into this awful, sad, anxiety ridden person. Infact, the past few days I have been waking up in the middle of the night panicking! So, really, honestly, thank you! 

It doesnt say it, BUT if you want your academic referees to be credible and valuable then they should be a PHD grad (its an unwritten rule) 

How do they know, though? I just took another look over the reference form and it never asks for the referee's level of education. One of my references is the program director, so they can assume his, and one is a recent grad of U of T's MSW PhD program, so the admissions people will likely recognize the name, but for my third reference and anyone's references, particularly field references, how would they even know? I'm not sure how much I buy that referees have to have a minimum education if they have no way of knowing for many of the referees they're going to get. 

How do they know, though? I just took another look over the reference form and it never asks for the referee's level of education. One of my references is the program director, so they can assume his, and one is a recent grad of U of T's MSW PhD program, so the admissions people will likely recognize the name, but for my third reference and anyone's references, particularly field references, how would they even know? I'm not sure how much I buy that referees have to have a minimum education if they have no way of knowing for many of the referees they're going to get. 

It is a very, very small world and you would be surprised at who knows who. Academia in particular is very gossipy and people in certain professions often know of each other from networking events, conferences, professionally, etc.

Furthermore, your references will usually sign your letter with their full credentials and position: Dr. XXX, MSW, PhD, Program Director for YYY. So they make sure it is known.

References often mean more if the person writing them is already highly successful in their field. It is not hard to imagine that a PhD is better able to comment on research ability than a part-time lecturer with an MSW who mostly works in practice. Further, a reference from a well-known, prolific researcher will look better than the one from a guy who graduated last week. This is all well-known stuff. I would not bother to submit an academic reference from anyone without a PhD. It is below competitive.

However, what matters most for all references is prominence. In academia, usually that is associated with a PhD, position and research productivity. However, for an MSW clinical reference, I doubt that they would have to be a PhD. For example, if your work reference is the director of your agency it would still look good regardless of whether they have a PhD. You impressed that person enough that they were willing to write you a letter and they know how you compare to other students.

Now that is not to say that you will not get in without prominent references (most people do not have them) but they are a huge competitive advantage. Having the Director of U of T s program and a PhD graduate from the same program is a strong, strong endorsement.

Edited by anonynon

I didn't speak directly to uoft regarding references but I asked carleton direct and York and the answer that I got was to pick individual who, above anything else, have the most positive things to sy about you. Only one of my references has those high credentials and my other two do not, I picked them because k worked extensively with them in social work settings and knew they would give me more than a generic letter. Up until this point I thought my references were very strong, but if what you say is true I am now very very worried......

Can't stand waiting anymore so many other people in other programs are already hearing back and making all these grand plans for after graduation and I feel like I'm at a standstill.. :( anyone else feeling lost?

Thanks Yweang ! At the end of the day it all boils down to YOU and your academic ability aka GPA and your statement of purpose/intent(how well it was written. This would show your academic( writing skills) and intellectual ability. The letters of reference only count for small portion. If you take a look at westerns website it'll tell you how the admissions grade is calculated. I think references only counted for either 10 or 20%. The university of Toronto specifically stated that the statement of intent would weigh significantly when making the decision.

Thanks for the elaboration. I also think U of T focuses more on your academic achievement rather than the reputation of your referees. I applied U of T in 2010, and my referees were Jack Layton, Mary-Ann Chambers and John Bassili- a well respected psychology professor at UTSC, and I still didn't get in. My friend got into MSW program without strong references, but her GPA was 0.5 above me..... so I think your GPA is still the most important factors the program looks at.

Yes, I certainly did not mean to imply that this one factor matters over everything else, but it is one of many that gives you a competitive advantage. But yes, a strong endorsement from a respected person who can comment on the reference area (academic, clinical) will matter, but that is not all that matters. A top researcher can give you a good but lackluster reference because he only taught them in one class. The same researcher can give another student a brilliant reference because they worked together on a project over an extended period of time. Which is a better reference? Obviously the second.

So, of course the same alone does not matter. But I was responding to someone who was dubious that academic references should have a PhD and so my response focused mostly on that issue. 

I think that what everyone needs to remember is that these are all pieces of a puzzle for graduate schools. They are looking at all factors and weaknesses in some areas can be compensated for by strengths in another. But if the pieces are all strong and lock together, then of course that improves your odds of admission to competitive schools dramatically. A student who gets a brilliant reference from someone who is prominent in their field likely also has other achievements and experience, so the relationship is not necessarily one-to-one.  

Thanks Yweang ! At the end of the day it all boils down to YOU and your academic ability aka GPA and your statement of purpose/intent(how well it was written. This would show your academic( writing skills) and intellectual ability. The letters of reference only count for small portion. If you take a look at westerns website it'll tell you how the admissions grade is calculated. I think references only counted for either 10 or 20%. The university of Toronto specifically stated that the statement of intent would weigh significantly when making the decision.

It really depends which school you applied for.. if you GPA is only 3.7 and don't have research paper published,  but you have extensive work experience and a memeber of socially disadvantaged  group(s), then  you chance of getting into York or Ryerson is much higher than UofT.

Can't stand waiting anymore so many other people in other programs are already hearing back and making all these grand plans for after graduation and I feel like I'm at a standstill.. :( anyone else feeling lost?

Yes- so so lost! I may not have a summer job due to the length of this wait time, and I'm struggling to apply to other jobs without having any idea if I'll be a student. It's just tough you know?

I want to thank  you for this post. Because, after reading this, I did exactly that. I feel so MUCH better. Life does not end with a rejection from masters (ah heart breaks as I say that!). The anxiety had made me into this awful, sad, anxiety ridden person. Infact, the past few days I have been waking up in the middle of the night panicking! So, really, honestly, thank you! 

All the feels! So glad it helped you!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes- so so lost! I may not have a summer job due to the length of this wait time, and I'm struggling to apply to other jobs without having any idea if I'll be a student. It's just tough you know?

That's exactly my problem too!!! You don't know whether to apply for partime or full time (don't wanna make a commitment and then have to back out ). And also location, I don't know whether I will be in the gta or whether I meed to look elsewhere, potential housing may need to be found....so many things.

And not to mention the more time that goes by the more I get convinced that I'm not getting in. March is going by SO slowly

That's exactly my problem too!!! You don't know whether to apply for partime or full time (don't wanna make a commitment and then have to back out ). And also location, I don't know whether I will be in the gta or whether I meed to look elsewhere, potential housing may need to be found....so many things.

And not to mention the more time that goes by the more I get convinced that I'm not getting in. March is going by SO slowly

Yeah!! Like I have applied to programs in so many places. My main choice is U of T so that I can live at home and commute, but I've applied to Lakehead in TBay and a program out east - if I get in somewhere not-U of T I really need to figure out housing and moving which is so overwhelming.

Exactly, my summer job for the past two years (a foodbank that I love working at) wanted an answer by Feb 28th - but they can only hire me if I'm a student (non profit that hires under a gov't grant), plus one program I applied to starts in July. I told them I couldn't give them an answer but that I hoped they'd take a chance on me - still no word from them. It's just very stressful.

I agree, reading this forum freaks me out a lot but it is also keeping me semi-sane - if no one else has heard I still have a chance!

@magfish did you apply for advanced standing or the 2 year

@prairiegirl2015 I applied for 2 year at U of T, Laurier, and Laurentian, and one year BSW's at Lakeheard & St Thomas (NB). Currently in History & Gender studies at Queen's. So I know I have no reason to know yet- there's still at least a few weeks if not a month, doesn't make it any less stressful. :(

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who took the MSW for Working Professionals through U of Windsor. It was originally my second choice - however the more I learn about the program, the more I'm considering it for my first choice. My main concern is just balancing working full time while having class every other weekend. For those who took it - was it a very intense program as so much information is crammed in to such a short amount of time?

sondraelizabeth-my coworker did the program..she just graduated in the last class. She is a single mother to two school aged children and also worked full time in child welfare.  She said it really helps if you know people in the program if you are driving any distance for car-pooling or bouncing ideas off of etc, but she did say she was exhausted and it was a lot of work...I mean that's to be expected I think with taking a full time masters and working full time with children...I imagine it's gona be very hard and take a lot of organization and time management ...however it is doable !  I also think a benefit to this would be if you can do the placement at the agency you work for...so you aren't doin a placement on top of work..as well I think it's better that placement is done at the end of the degree as opposed to in the middle of it with all the courses running at same time. 

It doesnt say it, BUT if you want your academic referees to be credible and valuable then they should be a PHD grad (its an unwritten rule) 

I cannot speak to this "unwritten rule" but none of my references hold a PHD and I was accepted (Advanced standing) !! Keep your heads up folks !!

For those applying to 2-year @ U of T and are worried about their marks not being up to snuff, I got this email from Angela:

Hello,

I am responding to your message.  The average GPA for the admitted class in 2014 was high B+ to A-

We certainly accept applicants in the B+ range.  Keep in mind that the committee is reviewing the complete application – academic history; references; statement and work/volunteer experience.

Thank you for your interest in our programs.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

I wonder what the chances of still getting accepted to U of T advanced standing are at this point. It seems several waves of acceptances already went out February 11th and 24th, and I think after that. Starting to feel hopeless!

Hello everyone, I'm a long-time lurker first time poster. I applied to the 2 year at U of T, York, and Windsor...super freaked out about everything as I'm sure we all are here. Thought I'd join the party since I'm on the forum so often anyway!

I've been looking for ways to cope with the anxiety brought on by the prospect of not getting accepted (I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.)

Just now, I made an intensive list of everything I could do with a year off for both personal growth as well as academic benefit for future applications (i.e. finally read the entire harry potter series (I haven't, don't judge), take up regular meditation, have months to focus on writing amazing mission statements for next round of applications, etc.). Writing the list was the first thing that helped me feel better about the idea of not getting in, which I have to accept is a very possible reality. 

I just thought I'd share because I think it's a very valuable exercise if this application process is really getting to you as it is to me!  :)

also thank you for posting this, I did this yesterday and it really helped me calm down! 

@goodnews did you apply for Advanced Standing or the 2 Year Programs?

2-year! I know it is still a little bit early but I can't help but still check haha

2-year! I know it is still a little bit early but I can't help but still check haha

I am in the same boat as you, even though I doubt any statuses will change until the end of this week or more likely next week I can not help but keep checking haha :) Good luck!