Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I am in the same boat as you, even though I doubt any statuses will change until the end of this week or more likely next week I can not help but keep checking haha :) Good luck!

That is what im thinking too, next week seems more plausible.But who knows! Any clues as to when laurier will be sending responses, havent read anyone post about them. (I know with UofT someone was told by Angela that they will begin "mid-march")

That is what im thinking too, next week seems more plausible.But who knows! Any clues as to when laurier will be sending responses, havent read anyone post about them. (I know with UofT someone was told by Angela that they will begin "mid-march")

I'm basing my estimate on wishful thinking since I am not doing well with this anticipation. According to the email confirming that my application had been received Laurier will be sending their offers out Early April: 

Your MSW application package has been received.

Electronic Offers of Admission to the MSW two year full-time program will begin to be sent out early April using the email address provided in your application.

**Please note: Email is the primary form of communication during the application process.

Admissions Office

Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work

Wilfrid Laurier University

Confidential Admissions email: socialwork@wlu.ca 

Anyone else getting depressed by how little job opportunities there are with a BSW?

Oh yes! I have been searching job and it seems most want MSW or at least a couple years experience with the BSW. It just shows why it is so hard to get into MSW even with the BSW because so many people are having to upgrade. I feel your pain!

From  York University website:

"It changes from year to year. Most recently we admitted 20 students to the Two-Year Program, 40 students to the Advanced Standing Full-Time Program, and 20 students to the Advanced Standing Part-Time Program. We received approximately 750 applications for all these program collectively-the most being for the Two-Year Program."

so if you applied for York 2 year MSW program, the admission rate is 25 to 1...... Meanwhile, the average admission rate for Ontario Medical schools is about 4 to 1.....

I just received a letter today from U of T, letting me know that I'm on the waitlist for the advanced MSW 1-year program. I applied to the mental health stream. The letter was dated for March 6th. My status on ROSI didn't change. Ughhhhhhh.

Just found out that I got wait-listed for U of T 1 year advanced standing MSW mental health and health stream. Nothing changed on SGS website or ROSi. My letter was dated March 6th as well. 

Omg I heard back from UofT and I'm wait listed too! & I'm in mental health and health as well. not sure when letter was dated cause my parents just called me and I haven't seen it. Oh wells!

I received a letter in the mail today indicating that I was placed on the wait-list for the UofT Advanced-Standing MSW (yes, it was also dated March 6th). I also applied for the mental health and health field. Although being placed on the wait-list is not ideal, I am sure that many candidates who will be receiving rejection letters would switch places in a heartbeat, so I figure it would be rather distasteful to not be appreciative. In the meantime, I am going to continue living my life, and whatever will be will be. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

For those who got waitlisted for UofT your status on ROSI will not change.  It only changes for acceptances.  I know there is usually movement on the waitlist so hopefully some of you will get acceptances in the next month or two.  I am still hoping on Laurier so if I get in there I will be turning down UofT and opening up a spot for someone.  So if you know someone who got into Laurier tell them to turn it down! LOL

It seems as if there are a lot of us placed on the wait list. Almost makes me think that we may have gotten in had we chosen other streams. 

Im curious to know how many of you are considering staying on the waitlist as opposed to accepting other offers:
Also, anyone rejecting the offer from UofT (haha totally hoping some of you does :$) 

selis - Don't worry that you would have gotten in if you'd selected another stream.  They do not admit people based on stream.  They admit them based on suitability for the MSW and the size of the specializations is random.  It looks like there are a higher number of people waitlisted for the mental health and health specialization because that is the most common specialization.  The specializations in popularity are 1) mental health and health, 2) children and families, 3) social justice and diversity, 4) gerontology, and 5) social service administration.  But again, admissions are not done by specialization.

If I were in the 1 year stream and it was a possibility I would switch with you in a heartbeat. Lets hope both our waitlists move in our favour :)

For those who got waitlisted for UofT your status on ROSI will not change.  It only changes for acceptances.  I know there is usually movement on the waitlist so hopefully some of you will get acceptances in the next month or two.  I am still hoping on Laurier so if I get in there I will be turning down UofT and opening up a spot for someone.  So if you know someone who got into Laurier tell them to turn it down! LOL

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I have applied to the 2 year  MSW programs at U of T, York, and Windsor. I was just wondering if anybody knows if offers of admission are conditional or if they are final? It is likely that the offers will be sent out before final grades come out, so I was wondering how that works. Also, if it is conditional, does anybody know the conditions?

Thanks

@2yearMSW Your letter would indicate whether or not your offer is conditional as well as outline what those conditions are contingent on. Offers for U of T will hopefully start coming out in the next few weeks, but I can not speak to York or Windsor as I am not familiar with their timeline of admissions. However, most universities will look at your most recent grades in addition to the other documents that were sent with your application (ex. reference letters, statement of interest, CV etc.) to make a decision. Typically, if you are offered a conditional acceptance the university would require you to maintain a certain average for the semester or specific to the course. In some cases conditional offers are made with a request that you complete a course in the summer prior to entering the program (ex. research methods).