Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Accepted to UVIC today - fall MSW distance. Do they have a funding program similar to other universities or did I miss my window when I applied? Good luck to all!

Last year's waiting game had 68 pages of posts altogether, we're at 79 pages and it's only mid-march #eager

I know right! I must admit I am so thankful for this forum and everyone on it, there is something that we all share that nobody in my family understands about this process it really is amazing to have this supportive community! :) 

Am thinking maybe uoft sent out offers to the students who they offered funding packages because they don't offer funding to everyone.

I know right! I must admit I am so thankful for this forum and everyone on it, there is something that we all share that nobody in my family understands about this process it really is amazing to have this supportive community! :)

I completely agree! Although I am obsessively on this forum, it is so nice to have the support and advice from everyone here. 

My mom just urgently called me and pretty much sang "YOU'VE GOT MAAAIL" into the phone, so my acceptance has arrived! I won't be opening it until this weekend though so I can't speak to if I got any funding, but I doubt it!

Accepted to UVIC today - fall MSW distance. Do they have a funding program similar to other universities or did I miss my window when I applied? Good luck to all!

I'd love to know the answer to this - I also got an e-mail today accepting me into UVic's 2 year program. I live in Vancouver, so it was my top choice by far - but it doesn't seem there is any funding, unless I missed it? I got the $15,000 from York so now I am going crazy trying to figure out which I should choose.. 

Yes it does mean they made a decision. You should check rosi to see if it says invited but definitely the decision was made as if to invite or reject you

so if you're still on a wait list it would say under review? and if it says decision made it would mean the final decision...I'm so nervous! I checked ROSI there was nothing posted yet. 

Does anyone know if it is bad news for those of us who haven't heard anything? It seems UofT and York 2-year have sent out both acceptances and wait-lists but no rejections yet (except to the people who did not meet the minimum requirements)...

I wish we could have all found out at once - rejections and all.

Edited by Fenris70

Does anyone know if it is bad news for those of us who haven't heard anything? It seems UofT and York 2-year have sent out both acceptances and wait-lists but no rejections yet (except to the people who did not meet the minimum requirements)...

My guess for York is that they have sent out all their acceptances and waitlists since they accept so few. I imagine rejections will be coming in the next couple days (just a guess)

As for U of T I honestly don't know and I'm very emotionally involved in that one so I think my answer would be trying to be hopeful haha

My guess for York is that they have sent out all their acceptances and waitlists since they accept so few. I imagine rejections will be coming in the next couple days (just a guess)

As for U of T I honestly don't know and I'm very emotionally involved in that one so I think my answer would be trying to be hopeful haha

Yeah, York was my top choice and I thought I had a better chance there than anywhere because I have a good amount of research experience and I do know it is a research-based program, which I was looking forward to. I just hope we find out soon and can start to think about concrete alternative plans if we get rejected.

Edited by Fenris70

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post, but I have spent the last 2 days reading all 80 pages of this forum, so I feel pretty up to date on everything! I applied to the 2 year MSW programs at both York and U of T, and haven't heard anything from either school yet! Before reading all of these posts I truly felt as though my chances were 50/50. I wouldn't have been surprised if I was rejected, but I also thought I had a pretty good shot of getting in. WELL! As much as I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts and was happy to read that so many people feel the exact same way I do, it also made me 100 times more nervous! I can't believe some people have already gotten acceptances to the 2 year programs at U of T and York! Although I have thought about it every day since submitting my application, I did not think I would hear anything until April, and did not know ROSI existed! So, now I am obsessively refreshing ROSI and checking my email like the rest of you guys! All I can say is I am so happy we're in this together because this is so stressful! Fingers crossed for all of us still waiting to hear and congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances thus far!!

lisaa - I'm sorry but that person who said that it means you are either accepted or rejected is misinformed.  Changing to decision made just means they have made the decision about your file and have notified you.  And they have - they have told you that you are waitlisted.  If you are accepted off the waitlist you will either get a phone call or an email.

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post, but I have spent the last 2 days reading all 80 pages of this forum, so I feel pretty up to date on everything! I applied to the 2 year MSW programs at both York and U of T, and haven't heard anything from either school yet! Before reading all of these posts I truly felt as though my chances were 50/50. I wouldn't have been surprised if I was rejected, but I also thought I had a pretty good shot of getting in. WELL! As much as I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts and was happy to read that so many people feel the exact same way I do, it also made me 100 times more nervous! I can't believe some people have already gotten acceptances to the 2 year programs at U of T and York! Although I have thought about it every day since submitting my application, I did not think I would hear anything until April, and did not know ROSI existed! So, now I am obsessively refreshing ROSI and checking my email like the rest of you guys! All I can say is I am so happy we're in this together because this is so stressful! Fingers crossed for all of us still waiting to hear and congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances thus far!!

Welcome !

And kudos to you for reading all 80 pages ! I have subscribed to receive notifications sent to my email and sometimes I have 20 to 30 emails within a hour ☺ this is a great support network !!! And I know what you mean completely, seeing others get accepted could make you lose faith in yourself ! But if you haven't heard back from any schools yet don't doubt your self !!!! Its hard to not think negatively but no news is not necessarily bad news ☺ hang in there !!!!

U of T has been sending out waitlists?? I don't think I've seen anyone get a letter saying they were waitlisted!!

U of T has been sending out waitlists?? I don't think I've seen anyone get a letter saying they were waitlisted!!

Agreed. I haven't seen anyone who was waitlisted yet. U of T (as I've noticed from reading) sends out their acceptances in rounds. Maybe York does it differently?

Last year UofT sent out all acceptances, waitlists, and rejections the same day (March 3).  It is highly possibly that they have sent out waitlists and also rejections, people just haven't received them yet.  Hopefully people will get some answers by the end of the week.

Here is my opinion.... not sure if any of you agree or not but here goes (its about U of T - 2 year). 

So I was the one that Angela told me I could submit an updated resume/CV because they havent reviewed my file yet and are in the organizing stage. 2 days later people start getting acceptances.... My friend at a grad program at U of T explained this and I agree with her. 

They look through the applications one at a time, and decide if they are a yes, a no, or a maybe. If it is a for sure yes then they get accepted. Otherwise it gets put in a pile to review again later. They may accept people without having read everyones application because they do it as a "rolling admission". Since they are a pro at reading applications and knowing if they are good enough, they can accept people "as they go". 

What do you all think? 

Also I was told they often send out admissions on Fridays ... so perhaps the next round of admissions and files they reviewed since then will hear on Friday. 

Edited by Social Work 93

Here is my opinion.... not sure if any of you agree or not but here goes (its about U of T - 2 year). 

So I was the one that Angela told me I could submit an updated resume/CV because they havent reviewed my file yet and are in the organizing stage. 2 days later people start getting acceptances.... My friend at a grad program at U of T explained this and I agree with her. 

They look through the applications one at a time, and decide if they are a yes, a no, or a maybe. If it is a for sure yes then they get accepted. Otherwise it gets put in a pile to review again later. They may accept people without having read everyones application because they do it as a "rolling admission". Since they are a pro at reading applications and knowing if they are good enough, they can accept people "as they go". 

What do you all think? 

Also I was told they often send out admissions on Fridays ... so perhaps the next round of admissions and files they reviewed since then will hear on Friday.

I would have to agree with you just so I can stay sane !!!

What do you all think? 

I really want to believe this theory but I have to say that it is really hard to imagine UofT not doing their applicants justice by reading everyone's application at least once before making any decisions. 

We all paid a fee to have our applications considered fairly and they wouldn't accept people without reading through everything at least once, it would be completely unjust to their applicants after all our hard work in creating the application.

I do agree that they are probably separating applications into groups like "yes" "maybe" "no" and then going through the yes/maybe piles in more detail and possibly debating about who gets into the final cut. 

I am more prone to believe last Friday's acceptances were the "creme de la creme" so to speak. They are most likely waiting to see if they get any rejections from those who got accepted because that impacts how many acceptances get sent out in the next round. I would assume that if all the acceptances/rejections/wait-lists got mailed the same day like they have been in the past that some of us would have gotten something in the mail today. I am definitely inclined to believe that it is a rolling admissions system this year but I suppose we have to wait until Friday to really find out :) 

Hello! 

I received an email from York last Wednesday saying I had been accepted, but have not received an actual letter yet that includes details about funding package/TA-ship. Has anyone else received a letter? When was it dated?

I also received an email from Ryerson, and eventually found my letter on their online portal RAMSS, and did not receive any funding. For people who did, was it listed in your letter?

I think I am leaning towards attending McMaster, but feel like no one else mentions them... Is anyone else on the thread heading to Mac for their MSW? :)

I did my BSW at McMaster. Everyone speaks highly of the program but the elephant in the room is that it is 90 % white bougie white kids. Most importantly, there's not a lot of support for racialized students. The expert on anti-oppression is a straight white able-bodied british man who is worshiped like a god there and i just found this odd. 

Another important note is that Mac MSW does not have a placement and is thesis based. 

Edited by cheesecake