Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Also, tomorrow is Friday! I know we are all kind of leaning towards the idea of more offers going out tomorrow so I just want to throw out a huge good luck to everyone, I find the vibe in this forum to be very uplifting and it would be a complete joy to attend a grad program with everyone here! Best of luck tomorrow!

Good luck to you too!!! 

And good luck to everyone! Indeed, it would be amazing to attend U of T with you all! :)

Also, tomorrow is Friday! I know we are all kind of leaning towards the idea of more offers going out tomorrow so I just want to throw out a huge good luck to everyone, I find the vibe in this forum to be very uplifting and it would be a complete joy to attend a grad program with everyone here! Best of luck tomorrow!

YES finally. I hope there's a lot of good news to go around tomorrow (should this be when they send out more acceptances)!! Good luck everyone and hang in there :)

YES finally. I hope there's a lot of good news to go around tomorrow (should this be when they send out more acceptances)!! Good luck everyone and hang in there :)

Good luck everyone! Just out of curiosity: why is everyone anticipating that more acceptances will be sent out tomorrow? Because first round offers went out last friday?

Edited by beareisland

Receiving good news tomorrow would be amazing. I really think it would give me that extra push/motivation to concentrate do well this semester. Fingers crossed. 

I have a question, for those who got an acceptance to the MSW 2 year program, did you submit your application on the deadline date or in advance? Maybe that's a factor? 

@purplegrey I submitted my application the morning of December 15th (yes I know, terrible).

I received an offer last Friday. I don't think it would do anything as someone else on the forum said they only started reviewing in beginning of march.

I hope everyone hears good news tomorrow! If not, I am thinking that if they truly are waiting to see how many people from last weeks offers decide to accept and we are just getting our instructions now then it might take another week before they are able to make a solid estimate.

All the best! You all have unique qualities that make you excellent candidates and/or future social workers!

Your welcome, someone I know know someone who works there and she agreed to meet with me because of that person and she told me that :). She high in the department so I know she is telling the truth and she knows what she is talking about

This makes me so excited for tomorrow, I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight of detach myself from my phone tomorrow! 

It would be so nice to have a happy ending (or rather a new beginning!) to the last 2 years of applications and waiting:) 

A number of you PM'd me about my experience so I thought I'd finally make a post about it!

I'm just completing my undergraduate degree now. My average at the time of the application was low B+ (3.3 GPA), and after updating it with my previous semesters marks I got it up to a mid-B+. I think my application strengths were in my experience, references and written statements. A brief summary of some of my experience:

-worked as a youth lead on a national mental health collaborative aiming to reform the youth mental health-care system

-2 years as a phone operator as well as member on the executive board of a crisis line

- worked in both hospital settings and community health settings with youth transitioning to the adult health-care system (facilitating groups, providing feedback on programs, and creating materials for the youth)

-facilitated a program for chronic health self-management via Sick Kids hospital

- worked with youth, barrier free, and elderly persons with dementia in a community health centre on various programs as a facilitator

-member of various organizations on campus that aim to empower and advocate for diverse populations

-completed a certificate program where I was able to examine diverse populations from a critical lens

-1 year volunteering in a lab, followed by 1 year as a research assistant in a lab

As a result of some of my bigger projects I was fortunate to be connected with some very strong references in the field, which I am very grateful for. I really hope you can feel confident in your applications by believing in your experience and what you have to offer the program. Stronger aspects of your application can most definitely make up for weaker ones, so if you're worried about how one aspect might really pull you down (as I worried) I would not lose hope! Good luck to you all, I hope I will be meeting you all this coming semester, and I hope that tomorrow brings more acceptances! If you have any more specific questions please feel free to PM me :)

Edited by wishingonuoft

Congratulations to everyone who heard some good news today :) and here's to hoping that tomorrow there's some good news for some of us waiting for U ofT. I'm suretomorrow is not the last day they will be sending acceptances, but I know we all want the wait to end!

Sending positive vibes all around.

Fingers crossed everyone for tomorrow! I really hope we get good news. It would be so nice knowing that we are in somewhere before the weekend hits and we have to wait all over again. REMEMBER: Everyone post tomorrow by 6pm whether you did or did not hear anything from U of T !!!! Thanks :) Good luck everyone :)

Thank you! It is amazing (and a little scary) to think of how long a memory these systems have!

Okay but I'm a current U of T student and I can't see anything on my ROSI? There's absolutely nothing about the MSW program :/ .

Okay but I'm a current U of T student and I can't see anything on my ROSI? There's absolutely nothing about the MSW program :/ .

It doesn't say anything on any of our ROSI accounts

It will only show you have been invited to the MSW program after you have been accepted. From my understanding current UofT students see their undergraduate information unless they get accepted, then the MSW stuff gets added and shows invited (if they get accepted) 

Non- UofT students only show "no registration history" unless they get accepted

so your ROSI won't show anything about the MSW unless you get accepted :) hope that helps

I know this is a post about MSW applications, but as many of you appear to have BSWs, I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding UVIC's bsw program? I've heard it's extremely competitive, and am feeling very daunted by the amount of experience most people seem to have! I won't find out if I got in until the end of April, most likely, and at this point, it is what it is... but does anybody know what "competitive stats" would be? At this point, grades-wise I think I am okay (A- average) but extremely worried about my experience! Any insights? Again, sorry for hi-jacking the post with a BSW question.. 

I did my bsw at uvic (grad 2009). Pre-BSW I had three years paid experience running mental health support homes for adults and two years paid doing community outreach. Also lived in Ukraine for 8 months working in state run orphanages/street outreach for children and volunteered in a local hospital (geriatric occupational therapy) for a year. I had community social service worker diploma with b's and a's (including multiple practicums). I didn't feel like I had more or less than other students and even now I wouldn't be able to say where that would have placed me on the spectrum. One key is focusing on anti-oppressive practice/theory and incorporating women's studies and Aboriginal understanding into your paper/essay - they're very big on social justice. I don't know if that's at all helpful - the one thing I do remember is other students saying the distance is harder to get into than on campus but I couldn't tell you if that's accurate.

Hope that's helpful! Good luck!!

Thank you "Ed's"! That is very helpful (and also very scary - that is some impressive experience you've got there). Thank you so much for sharing that info with me :) 

EDIT: thank you B39 for clarifying.

Also, I really don't have the energy to properly contribute to this conversation, but I'm incredibly disappointed in some posters' attitudes towards marginalized folks. I'm disabled. I'm mentally ill. I'm a survivor of multiple forms of violence. I'm bisexual/queer. I've accessed social work services throughout my youth. Trust me when I say that hostility toward efforts to value lived experience as real, valid knowledge will only hurt your clients/patients and your career, if social work is headed in any good direction as a profession.

Edited by Rox

Also, I really don't have the energy to properly contribute to this conversation, but I'm incredibly disappointed in some posters' attitudes towards marginalized folks. I'm disabled. I'm mentally ill. I'm a survivor of multiple forms of violence. I'm bisexual/queer. I've accessed social work services throughout my youth. Trust me when I say that hostility toward efforts to value lived experience as real, valid knowledge will only hurt your clients/patients and your career, if social work is headed in any good direction as a profession.

I agree. Thanks for sharing your opinion! 

I agree. Thanks for sharing your opinion! 

Just to continue this conversation,

I wanted to say that 've noticed many times that we who work or learn in social services have a tendancy to run each other down (I'm guilty of this as well). I'm not sure why do it - maybe it's because the profession places us on the precipice of privilege and marginalization, and while we're there it's hard not to take something someone says as a personal invalidation. My own goal is to one day be able to (a la Marshall Rosenberg) have the strength to really hear what someone is saying to me without responding in a way that loses us the opportunity to learn things from each other. Anyway, from this learner to you, I wanted to say that I appreciate what everyone has contributed to this huge thread so far, and I hope that it's still a safe place for everyone to contribute their ideas.

Received an acceptance email yesterday for the 2-year program!

that's great congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet so maybe I got waitlisted :) i'm thinking they already sent rejections because i had a friend who got that email!  Do you mind me asking if they offer anything?

that's great congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet so maybe I got waitlisted :) i'm thinking they already sent rejections because i had a friend who got that email!  Do you mind me asking if they offer anything?

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if they had another round of admissions like the other schools. I would guess that there is still time to be accepted too :)

They didn't offer anything in the email, but from the sounds of it, I'll get more info from the admission package they're mailing. I can let you know if they do provide different information in the package next week

Looks like we are in the same "no news" group! Congrats to everyone else who heard something.