Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I knew it wasn't worth building up my hope that we'd hear anything by today but it's still such a let down checking ROSI & my OUAC and seeing nothing.

For those commenting on plan b's: if I don't get into any of the programs I applied to, I'll probably take the year off to work. Unfortunately, I can't actually get my summer job if I'm not still in school, so I think I would also (and to improve application chances) take a few online courses through somewhere like Athabasca or my own school's distance studies program. More in sociology / maybe a psych and it looks like Athabasca has a social work course, so I'd probably take those and then try and get a job close-ish to the field and make some money.

I honestly held my breath so hard last week that I was blue in the face. This week I have a totally new perspective. I have told myself not to expect anything until at least April. I was so so distracted last week by checking this forum and checking ROSI that I had a hard time getting things done. I am two weeks out until my undergrad is DONE, I need to end with a bang. In terms of plan B, I would definitely find a job in my field (Child and Youth studies, so something in child and youth worker, etc.) as well as volunteer in as many organizations as possible. For example, the children advocacy centre in Niagara, the Sexual assault hotline, etc. 

If we did hear something this week, It would be a nice little surprise, but again, I have given up holding my breath. 

I honestly held my breath so hard last week that I was blue in the face. This week I have a totally new perspective. I have told myself not to expect anything until at least April. I was so so distracted last week by checking this forum and checking ROSI that I had a hard time getting things done. I am two weeks out until my undergrad is DONE, I need to end with a bang. In terms of plan B, I would definitely find a job in my field (Child and Youth studies, so something in child and youth worker, etc.) as well as volunteer in as many organizations as possible. For example, the children advocacy centre in Niagara, the Sexual assault hotline, etc. 

If we did hear something this week, It would be a nice little surprise, but again, I have given up holding my breath. 

Me too! I procrastinated my work and had such a bad temper last week. I have decided only check my rosi or SGS once a day this week. Hopefully I can get more of my work done and calm down a little bit. Good luck to everyone!  

Anyone else being redirected to a weird page when signing into LORIS?

When I go on 'online form' it's actually taking me to an address change form and a whole bunch of other tabs. Before it took me to an error page. Maybe they've done something to their system to update, not sure

Hey everyone, 

I am wondering if anyone has heard anything from York regarding applications, I know a few people mentioned they tried to get in contact but I am wondering if anyone had success? 

My myfile still has no change, my ROSI is still no registration history I am really hoping that we get something this week at this point I am ready to know either way

Hey everyone, 

I am wondering if anyone has heard anything from York regarding applications, I know a few people mentioned they tried to get in contact but I am wondering if anyone had success? 

Seconded! My friend, who is currently in the program, said that the admin person at York has been away sick, but is back in the office today, so chances are good that if people are going to get a reply at all, it will come in the next few days.

I know some people have received emails that they have gotten in or been waitlisted, so it would be awesome to know where that leaves the rest of us. I know last year, people received acceptances and wait list statuses at the very end of March, and then I had emailed York a few days later asking about the status of admissions, never got a response of any kind, and then my myfile changed to "Decision made- unsuccessful" almost a month later. So if anyone has heard anything, that would be great. 

I haven't gotten in touch with them this year, but if I haven't heard anything by the first week of April I figure I will send off an email.

What does it mean if you aren't hearing back in a while? I know that York and Windsor have sent out responses, I have nothing so far. I know sometimes rejections may be sent out last but I think with Windsor they send those as well. I second what b39 said at this point I wNt to know whatever the answer is.

I emailed Laurier late last week and informed them that link has not been working since Feb.  Maybe they just looked into it and fixed it.  Mine works now too.

Hoping to hear something soon about admissions!!

Edited by mish2

Hey everyone, 

My myfile still has no change, my ROSI is still no registration history I am really hoping that we get something this week at this point I am ready to know either way

I e-mailed gradsowk@yorku.ca  on March 13, I will post in here if I ever hear anything! Good luck.

What does it mean if you aren't hearing back in a while? I know that York and Windsor have sent out responses, I have nothing so far. I know sometimes rejections may be sent out last but I think with Windsor they send those as well. I second what b39 said at this point I wNt to know whatever the answer is.

I am in the same situation as you. I haven't heard back from u of t, windsor or laurier. I emailed the graduate admissions at windsor on friday beca use like your said some people have been accepted and rejected. When I get an answer back I'll let you know! Hang in there !!

I am in the same situation as you. I haven't heard back from u of t, windsor or laurier. I emailed the graduate admissions at windsor on friday beca use like your said some people have been accepted and rejected. When I get an answer back I'll let you know! Hang in there !!

If you get a response please do let me know! I emailed them the week prior to that (before I knew they sent out letters) but I got no response.

I feel for some of you that have said the waiting really got to your productivity level. And I was so crabby all of last week. I took a break this weekend and just shut off my brain about it. And even though I'm checking less and trying to be calm about it I can't say that I don't feel defeated by the end of the day when it's another day of no news. Second guessing everything the more time that passes. Just hoping for the best. Anyway enough of that, good luck to everyone.

So according to the previous threads, it looks like Laurier sent out the first acceptance emails for the 2-year program on March 22nd the past two years...I'm really hoping that means that we'll start hearing news tomorrow! And I recently found out that my job is ending in a few months, so I have no idea what my plan B will be if I don't get in this year. :/

uggg, I miss-read that as the acceptances went out already and gave myself a small heart attack. (I should not be on this site when I'm sick lol).

As someone else mentioned, LORIS fixed the link, so maybe they are ready to send out those emails soon ^.^ ....hoping, hoping...

I've been following this thread and it's been enlightening so I'm now joining in. I applied for 2-year U of T and York (still waiting!). I noticed people who got into U of T and York have several years of experience in social service-related fields--was this all full-time paid work? Is it all direct contact with patients/clients or can it be research related? I'm trying to figure out a plan B myself if I don't get in and want to re-apply to either of the Toronto schools. I'm wondering what type of job I should look for, what's feasible to get. It seems that many jobs in the social services require you to have a BSW or MSW, or they require years of experience in the first place! I feel trapped and wonder what type of jobs one can get without these degrees. I do have an undergrad and masters in psychology/science (and therefore years of research experience), and volunteer experiences in mental health/disability support services. Does that get me anywhere? I'd appreciate anyone similar sharing their experiences in the social services workforce!

Hello everyone,

I had a hard time finding work in Toronto last year with a B.A in Psychology ( I have an accelerated SSW diploma as well). So I decided to extend my search area to GTA, and networks where I did my placement suggested I apply to North Halton Community Living since they are always looking for relief staff. I really enjoy working there and supporting the clients needs. In addition getting valuable experience in group homes and working with individuals with developmental disabilities.

I know not everyone has access to a car (to commute to Milton/Georgetown), but hoping it brings some encouragement. 

Best of luck finding something and stay positive :) 

I'm confused about LORIS - how can we know if we've been accepted through that portal?

I don't think we find out anything through the portal. From what I heard is that you either get accepted by email or rejected by snail mail. Not sure how they let waitlisted candidates know.

Still wont let me login to LORIS ... whatever I guess I will just not try and wait for an email to come from them! 

Im assuming they email the applicants .... ? 

There are two LORIS sites.  One for students and one for applicants that allows you to look at your references and change your information online.  Maybe you are trying to log into the wrong site.  The following is the one we are supposed to use:

https://telaris.wlu.ca/ssb_prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

When I received my confirmation email from Laurier stating that they received my application, it stated that decisions would be emailed.

Hope that helps.