Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Please don't be discouraged! They accept so many this cannot be the end. I'm sending out many positive vibes for all of you !!!!!

I am so excited but I just want that letter in my hands so there's no way I can doubt it

Congratulations to everyone who got invited today!

Still nothing on my part, I feel like I'm going to be sick.

However, I don't think this automatically means rejection. I do believe we will get some more news in the next two weeks (maybe they are doing this in three waves). They did say until mid-April!

Where did you find your application status? I didn't find anything in my Loris webiste

There is no application status on LORIS.  It is only for checking to see if all your reference letters have been received and for changing your contact information.

MY ROSI JUST UODATED. Omg I literally can't breathe right now

Congratulations !!!!! So exciting! Have a good night of relaxation tonight because you finally can ! :D

Still no change for me but I am not losing hope !!!!

Congratulations to those that received invitations today! :)

To everyone else, don't lose hope! There are DEFINITELY more acceptances coming your way, it's not even April yet!!!! 

Edit - I know it's easier said than done not to freak out - but try to take care of yourselves during this terrible waiting period!

Edited by ChristinaB1990

Nothing for me yet on ROSI.

Still choosing to believe that this is not the end. It's not the end till I have the rejection in my hands.

Congrats to everyone who heard today!!

What do you guys think? Do you think they will update more or do you think we are looking at waitlist and rejections?

To be honest, I'm really trying to remain optimistic, but with every round of acceptances that go out I feel less and less hopeful that I will get in. On the bright side, I knew before applying that my credentials might not be enough to land me a spot in the program, so I will be disappointed of course, but not surprised if I am rejected.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!

Do people only have ROSI accounts if they've been to uToronto before? 

No. This has been answered at least a dozen times before, multiple in the past few days. If you search back through the forum for ROSI you'll find the answer on how to get your student number & sign in.

To be honest, I'm really trying to remain optimistic, but with every round of acceptances that go out I feel less and less hopeful that I will get in. On the bright side, I knew before applying that my credentials might not be enough to land me a spot in the program, so I will be disappointed of course, but not surprised if I am rejected.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!

Katkatkat, I feel the exact same way. I am prepared to not get accepted because I don't have too much in the way of direct social work experience, but I figured my research experience and other strong points would be worth applying; however, I am still optimistic! I hope I at least get wait-listed and not rejected everywhere, it would mean that I am on the right track.

I really like how I got a lot of feedback from the question I asked  ("what your plan B's are?"). It's really refreshing to see everyone's different approaches on what they will do if they get rejected. I'm still waiting to hear back from York and U of T.  I 've been using the sgs website for u of t to see if I got accepted/rejected. On the u of t website (ROSI), how I do I check? I know my student number and password, but what part of the website can you see if you get accepted or not??

Edited by sunshinerain

I just want to add my two cents in regarding plan B options although it may stir the pot a little. Personally, I'm surprised that there are programs that don't require substantial, paid, work experience to get into the msw program if you are planning to work frontline. That being said, if I had had the opportunity to apply right out of my undergrad I would have happily done so. I am SO glad that I didn't because my work and personal experience over the past few years have dramatically changed the path of how I plan to apply myself to the program. I know the common complaint is that inability to find a job with a bsw/ba but there are lots of jobs you just have to be willing to move. I know this isn't possible for some due to a variety of issues but a lot of the barriers can be overcome. I find the mentality in southern Ontario around this is very different from the rest of the country. I know very few people who were able to remain in the same place without ever having to take a job outside of their home community. I can guarantee you that there are many places who would jump to hire any of you.. but usually this requires moving for contract positions. There are rural group homes for children who fly people in and out for contracts.. go anywhere in Alberta and you can get hired with a degree into the health and child protection systems. Go to Nunavut, the NWT, the Yukon.. go to northern Ontario.. and no Barrie is not northern haha! Doing things like this demonstrates so much to admission committees... especially in the social work field. You may not be interested in rural social work but it's not really about that.. it's about gaining the skills the comes along with taking a chance like that and stepping out of your comfort zone. Maybe instead of moving, you set up your own little consulting business and run summer social skills groups for kids with aspergers, become a foster parent for teens, babysit two special needs children on an ongoing basis, become a respite provider (this in itself you could start a business off of in almsot any rural community), go teach english overseas (I saw someone posting about this and I believe it has lots of transferable skills and demonstrates a lot about you as a person). The skills are completely transferable to an urban setting. There really are so many options out there, it just depends how badly you actually want it... get out of your comfort zone and get creative :)! It will make you stand out on your application by leaps and bounds. Personally I don't think that volunteering or going on to add more education, in of themselves, will add a whole lot to an application. If you're unable to put your creative/strategic/problemsolving thinking cap on to give your own life a boost in the direction you desire, it'll likely be difficult to effect change in your clients lives. I hope this post doesn't come across badly, it was just making me sad seeing people talk about giving up on their dreams and I truly believe where there is a will there is a way :).

My friends had to leave Canada to find job elsewhere. Those jobs also pay better and only require a undergrad. I wish i had the option to do this. But I totally agree with you 100%. I feel like some people focus too much on volunteering and going back to school to improve their chances, but that may not be the answer for everyone. 

Hey all,

Just thought I would share. I emailed an updated CV to Angela for the 2 year MSW at WLU about 2 weeks ago and she responded today saying that it had been added to my application - which makes me think applications are still being reviewed.

Good luck in the coming weeks!

Hey all,

Just thought I would share. I emailed an updated CV to Angela for the 2 year MSW at WLU about 2 weeks ago and she responded today saying that it had been added to my application - which makes me think applications are still being reviewed.

Good luck in the coming weeks!

Hope it goes as is shown in the SGS as under review...Finger crossed.

Good luck everyone! Both in plan A and Bs.

I also wanted to let you all know that Angela responded to my message about my updated Resume/CV and said it will be added to my file. This definitely means that they have not even reviewed all the files yet! Hang in there everyone :)