Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey I know this has probably been posted in the past, but for those of us who are now "invited" on ROSI, how long does it take to receive something in the mail?

Hey there, Angela said it was mailed out the afternoon that ROSI changed so April 1st. I would assume those of us in the Toronto area will get them in the mail Tuesday or Wednesday... I don't think post works on Easter Monday. 

Hey everyone! 

I made a group on gradcafe for those of us accepted into the UofT MSW (2 year and advanced standing) I'm not sure if I am the only one without Facebook, but just in case anyone wants to keep the conversation going on gradcafe :) here is the link: 

An SSW is good experience however I dont think it would make a BIG change in your application. Why is your application lacking? Are your grades an A? If they are not I strongly suggest taking more undergrad courses to boost your GPA. If it is solely experience, i would recommend volunteering with your local Childrens Aid Society, as I beleive that was really helpful to my application. These are my thoughts. Good luck! 

IF you do not mind, would you mind sharing your social work experience/volunteer experience briefly?

I don't know how to use the search tool in these forums to see if you already mentioned it. If you did, I apologize.

Does anyone have experience with raising their gpa? I've been finished undergrad for 2 years so I'm not really sure how to go about this. What about taking a couple online courses from Athabasca? Or will admissions not count this as undergrad average?

Does anyone have experience with raising their gpa? I've been finished undergrad for 2 years so I'm not really sure how to go about this. What about taking a couple online courses from Athabasca? Or will admissions not count this as undergrad average?

Bettyg, Athabasca is a great way of boosting your GPA. I completed my undergrad many years ago and have been taking Athabasca courses intermittently throughout my career, they have all been included in the GPA calculation. You have to make sure that the courses you take are not Introductory level, other wise, they will be included. 

Depending on your GPA and the University you are applying to, it may take a while to increase your average, but Athabasca is a great way of doing it. Doing an online BSW is another option, although this would take more time.

Good luck!

For anyone admitted/accepting the HBSW at Orillia - can you PM me your facebook name(s)? I'll set up a closed group on facebook for the class but require another member to start it up! Then hopefully we can start to get our heads around this program and the move ahead of us!

Anyone who has not heard back from Laurier yet, has your LORIS changed where the references are?

Hey mish2,

My LORIS hasn't changed at all. It looks the same since I applied. Is it supposed to change? I assumed it only changed after you were notified through email that you got in. 

Hey mish2,

My LORIS hasn't changed at all. It looks the same since I applied. Is it supposed to change? I assumed it only changed after you were notified through email that you got in. 

Hey kjamieso4,

Mine has not changed either but I think I read in earlier posts (when advanced standings were hearing back) that some may have changed before they received an email.  I would also assume that it would not change before email notification and hoping that it only changes when you hear through email.  Small glimmer of hope still, lol

If you want to boost your gpa and get better academic references I recommend taking classes in person, at university. I took some elective social work courses to boost my gpa; I learned more about the field (this helped me as I was wring personal statements) and got better references. At the same time, taking courses online is very convenient. Make sure that whichever route you choose, you take 300-400 level courses. I know that Laurier, Toronto, York, Calgary, and UNBC accept these courses and use them to calculate your GPA. Some schools (Carleton, Windsor, UBC, Victoria, and McGill) calculate gpa in a way that reduces the amount of "boost" your gpa gets from upgrading. I don't think Windsor even accepts upgraded courses. If you are unsure, make sure that you check with a school before you apply.

Edited by Leah_N

I was accepted to Laurier (2year) and mine only changed after I received the email. Once in the acceptance email you get all the necessary information to log-in as well as your new email/password etc. So personally, I wouldn't think too much about LORIS because it doesn't tell you anything (unfortunately). 

Hey mish2,

Hey kjamieso4,

Mine has not changed either but I think I read in earlier posts (when advanced standings were hearing back) that some may have changed before they received an email.  I would also assume that it would not change before email notification and hoping that it only changes when you hear through email.  Small glimmer of hope still, lol

Anyone who has not heard back from Laurier yet, has your LORIS changed where the references are?

Hey :) If anyone is interested in making a Facebook group for Laurier (2year) let me know! I don't mind creating one but I just need to add 1 member while creating it in order for it to work. There are previous previous groups for 2012,13,14,15 and 16 but none for 2017 yet. 

Attention Lakehead Orillia Students! You can find the link to our facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258019147700354/

Woohoo! Looking forward to meeting everyone and for the year ahead!

Side note: Does anyone from the 2014-2015 cohort have a list of texts used for the three summer courses that they might be willing to share?

I was accepted to Laurier (2year) and mine only changed after I received the email. Once in the acceptance email you get all the necessary information to log-in as well as your new email/password etc. So personally, I wouldn't think too much about LORIS because it doesn't tell you anything (unfortunately). 

Thank you purplegrey!  I don't think I am going to get an acceptance this year but there is still a little bit of hope :)

Congrats on your acceptance!!

Thank you! Don't give up hope, there's still a chance :)

Thank you purplegrey!  I don't think I am going to get an acceptance this year but there is still a little bit of hope :)

Congrats on your acceptance!!

Anyone on here still hoping for U of T? I mostly feel as though that ship has long sailed, but I'm still hanging onto a glimmer of hope...

They haven't announced any waitlisted individuals so far. I feel like there's still some acceptances to go out.

Anyone on here still hoping for U of T? I mostly feel as though that ship has long sailed, but I'm still hanging onto a glimmer of hope...

Unfortunately I think that's over. There's so many people on this forum who have been accepted so I don't think chances are on our side at this point. I just feel like I spent the last three or four weeks stressing and obsessing and it's made me miserable. So personally I am closing that door and focusing on how to improve my application for next year.

Unfortunately I think that's over. There's so many people on this forum who have been accepted so I don't think chances are on our side at this point. I just feel like I spent the last three or four weeks stressing and obsessing and it's made me miserable. So personally I am closing that door and focusing on how to improve my application for next year.

I am with Betty on this one. 

Hello Beareisland,

I am 100% convinced that there are still letter/notices to go out! 

When I looked at previous years (via the research tab in grad cafe), people weren still being accepted up until the following dates/years for U of T (2-Yr-MSW):

2010: Until April 11

2011: Until April 20

2012: Until Apri 13

2013: Until Apri 19

2014: Until April 15

When I log into the ""http://rosi.utoronto.ca/" website will change to invited! 

Overall, a lot of people have been accepted on this forum, but they accept 140 people for 2-year standing @ U of T! If I were to guess, I would say the last acceptance will be done by this weekend or early next week. Quote on quote, Angela (from admission) says that all admission decisions are done by the middle of April. So, until that date, I will be waiting! 

Also, if anyone ends up getting wait-listed, the first round of acceptance off of the waitlist (according to grad cafe) seem to go out the end of May (around the 25th)! 

So, remain hopeful! :)

Edited by ShayRonee93

I haven't heard back yet from Laurier, but I just checked my LORIS account and it won't let me sign in anymore. It says the following:

You are not authorized to use the Web Information Systems! 

If you are a student, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (519) 884-1970 for more information.

If you are an alumnus, please contact the Alumni & Development Office for more information.

If you are an employee, please contact Human Resources at hr@wlu.ca for more information.

Haven't heard, still have the references when I click "Master of Social Work". I think it only changes if you get accepted.

Still hoping. It's not over till the rejection letter arrives!

I haven't heard back yet from Laurier, but I just checked my LORIS account and it won't let me sign in anymore. It says the following:

If you are a student, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (519) 884-1970 for more information.

If you are an alumnus, please contact the Alumni & Development Office for more information.

If you are an employee, please contact Human Resources at hr@wlu.ca for more information.

Make sure you're logging into the LORIS - Admissions thing instead of just regular LORIS. They're different! I can still get into the admissions portal myself.

I think you may have gone to the wrong LORIS site.  There are two.  One for students and one for applicants.  Try this one and see if it lets you in.

https://telaris.wlu.ca/ssb_prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

Make sure you're logging into the LORIS - Admissions thing instead of just regular LORIS. They're different! I can still get into the admissions portal myself.

I think you may have gone to the wrong LORIS site.  There are two.  One for students and one for applicants.  Try this one and see if it lets you in.

https://telaris.wlu.ca/ssb_prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

Yes! I was logging in to the wrong website! Thanks  :D

Hello Beareisland,

I am 100% convinced that there are still letter/notices to go out! 

When I looked at previous years (via the research tab in grad cafe), people weren still being accepted up until the following dates/years for U of T (2-Yr-MSW):

2010: Until April 11

2011: Until April 20

2012: Until Apri 13

2013: Until Apri 19

2014: Until April 15

When I log into the ""http://rosi.utoronto.ca/" website will change to invited! 

Overall, a lot of people have been accepted on this forum, but they accept 140 people for 2-year standing @ U of T! If I were to guess, I would say the last acceptance will be done by this weekend or early next week. Quote on quote, Angela (from admission) says that all admission decisions are done by the middle of April. So, until that date, I will be waiting! 

Also, if anyone ends up getting wait-listed, the first round of acceptance off of the waitlist (according to grad cafe) seem to go out the end of May (around the 25th)! 

So, remain hopeful! :)

Yeah, I think there might be a few offers left to be sent. However, they might be deciding on the waitlist right now, which would explain why no one got a rejection or waitlist letter.They did send out answers super early this year, so we can't really base ourselves on the previous years... Unfortunately :(