Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

On the website I found that there are generally 150-200 applicants give or take. Everything happens for a reason, so like you said "what will be, will be." Where would you be moving from? I'm currently in Montreal so Ottawa makes sense for me because it's not far to move and the cost of living is relatively the same, whereas I don't think I can afford to live in Toronto. It's so expensive! 

That makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who did one essay! 

Yeah, I'm currently finishing my undergrad at McGill University - women's studies major, with a double minor in education and sociology. How about you? 

I read on the past forum that if it changes to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" it's like oh my, they are reviewing it - on the edge of your seat panic. and then once it says, "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved" that's YAY!, or the one we hope to not get "Decision made: Declined Admission". They are all on the website, just type in carleton admissions status. 

Oh gosh I did not know that they accepted so few people!  Do you know how many apply?  That brings my confidence down a bit but what will be will be! it would definitely be a big move for me If i were to go there but at this point i just want at least one acceptance so i can get my degree moving haha!  as for the personal statement i also did 1 long essay, I think that is better because you really get your whole story out that way so we did that well I think!  Are you doing your undergrad right now?

That is my status right now too.  i was reading the past forum and someone had something about a change in their status to something longer so I was wondering if that was suppose to be good news or not haha just looking out for any clues! i don't know how i will last the next couple weeks.....

Edited by purplegrey

Hi everyone!

I have been just following along with the posts and finally decided to join in! I applied to University of Windsor's 2 yr MSW and Lakehead's 1yr HBSW.

Congratulations to FeistyFem for getting accepted into Windsor! If you do not mind me asking...what kind of volunteer experience do you have?

Hey there!

I have been admitted into the one year program. I have volunteered in numerous student organizations, non-profits, and I work at a homeless shelter. I also am in a sorority and we do a lot of philanthropy work. I've volunteered my butt off since first year!

My overall gpa is 79.5% if that's helpful to you.

Best of luck!

So nice to hear that another person on here applied to Western! I haven't seen too many. Congratulations on getting accepted to Windsor! What is your preference?

Thank you :)

Western and Waterloo are tied for my preference, and Windsor comes after those two.

Did you apply to the one year or two year program at Western?

I've applied for the one year programs.

Hi everyone! I have been a bit of a lurker but have finally decided to join the coversation. Good luck to everyone waiting on acceptances!

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of funding oppurtunities are available? I have heard of TA/RA roles but can't seem to find this info anywhere. I have applied to the 2-year MSWs at York, Toronto and Laurier.

Also, if anyone could tell me how to make one of those signatures that shows where I've applied to/heard back from, etc. that would be great.

Thanks! :)

Welcome :) 

Hi everyone! I have been a bit of a lurker but have finally decided to join the coversation. Good luck to everyone waiting on acceptances!

I wondered if anyone knew what kind of funding oppurtunities are available? I have heard of TA/RA roles but can't seem to find this info anywhere. I have applied to the 2-year MSWs at York, Toronto and Laurier.

Also, if anyone could tell me how to make one of those signatures that shows where I've applied to/heard back from, etc. that would be great.

Thanks! :)

The wait is killing me!!!! Some days I think I'm OBVIOUSLY going to get in, I am amazing, how could they not want me?!

Some days I think actually I don't even want to do grad school, So screw them I am moving to Thailand and don't even care If they accept me or not.

Some days (today) I think I'm never going to get in and I am devestated because my life has no other direction.

It's torture! Hurry up April! :)

Bettyg - I feel exactly the same way!  I am going crazy with the waiting and keep going back and forth over whether I think I even have a chance.  Only a few more weeks for me to wait!

Bettyg that paragraph perfectly summarizes my daily thought process. Not sure where all of you are living, but this snowy, freezing cold weather is making it all that much harder to stay calm and patient waiting for April. The wait is literally excruciating :( 

Has anyone started thinking about their "plan-b"? I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what's next if this doesn't work out...

I am starting to feel the urge to check my phone every few seconds to see if I have an admission decision....

Does anyone else ever worry that schools know about this message board and admissions offices can read everything we are writing? So many people on here are so candid about their experiences and identifying information (at least, easily matched to your application), and it makes me so nervous!

Bettyg that paragraph perfectly summarizes my daily thought process. Not sure where all of you are living, but this snowy, freezing cold weather is making it all that much harder to stay calm and patient waiting for April. The wait is literally excruciating :(

Has anyone started thinking about their "plan-b"? I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what's next if this doesn't work out...

Me too, I am also thinking about what else I could do, should I do something else or try another year if this year doesn't work.... I don't have much volunteer experience, if I get more this year, maybe I can try next year. Good luck with your application!

I'm sure there's a possibility that some know about this board, but I don't think it would harm us in any way. They are probably chuckling at how much were stressing about this... 

I am starting to feel the urge to check my phone every few seconds to see if I have an admission decision....

Does anyone else ever worry that schools know about this message board and admissions offices can read everything we are writing? So many people on here are so candid about their experiences and identifying information (at least, easily matched to your application), and it makes me so nervous!

I completely agree with Bettyg...this wait is simply tough. I haven't even thought about my "plan B" yet. Had anyone applied to lakeheads HBSW program? I'm really hoping I get in there because I really feel I have no chance of getting in at Windsor for the 2 year msw because of my irrelevant volunteer experience. I have volunteered at an elementary school for 4 years now because I always thought I wanted to be a teacher...and then during the end of 3rd year I realized social work was something I was really interested in. Hopefully they can look past that !!!

Me too, I am also thinking about what else I could do, should I do something else or try another year if this year doesn't work.... I don't have much volunteer experience, if I get more this year, maybe I can try next year. Good luck with your application!

I did the same thing last year (I was applying straight out of undergrad) so I took this year to volunteer as much as I possibly could but I cannot afford to do that for another year so I'm looking into post-grad fast track college programs now. I've been looking for full-time work since December and it has only made me realize that I need an MSW for anything that would truly make me happy career wise so everything is riding on this in a way lol no pressure but I'm sure we can all relate. 

I did the same thing last year (I was applying straight out of undergrad) so I took this year to volunteer as much as I possibly could but I cannot afford to do that for another year so I'm looking into post-grad fast track college programs now. I've been looking for full-time work since December and it has only made me realize that I need an MSW for anything that would truly make me happy career wise so everything is riding on this in a way lol no pressure but I'm sure we can all relate. 

Good luck with your application this year!  :)

As many other people said, I feel exactly the same way! What a roller coaster we are on haha. I think the best thing to do is take it a day at a time. That's what I keep telling myself, anyways. To pass the time I've been going to the gym, crocheting, and heading home to Windsor. Little milestones help (i.e. valentine's day coming up, girl's night, my birthday, anniversary, etc). What is everyone else doing to pass them time? 

The wait is killing me!!!! Some days I think I'm OBVIOUSLY going to get in, I am amazing, how could they not want me?!

Some days I think actually I don't even want to do grad school, So screw them I am moving to Thailand and don't even care If they accept me or not.

Some days (today) I think I'm never going to get in and I am devestated because my life has no other direction.

I can completely identify with you. This is my second year applying for the 2 Year MSW track. I think my lack of experience really hurt me last year, so this year I did my best to beef up my volunteer experience and was fortunate enough to get a part-time job running an educational program at a counselling centre. Hopefully it helps this time around. Good luck! 

I've been trying to do the same - going to the gym, completing some homework/papers (although I have zero motivation since I know I'm graduating), planning a summer trip, anniversary/valentines day/my birthday. I'm thinking of maybe doing something different next weekend like indoor rock climbing or something. I think that would be fun and take my mind off of all this stress. I'm finding the weekends more bearable than the week though since I know we won't ever receive news from the schools on the weekends. 

I've been trying to limit myself on checking the university portals twice a day but so far it hasn't help. Does anyone have any ideas/tips on how to not obsessively check them? I know Laurier doesn't have one which is nice but most schools do. 

As many other people said, I feel exactly the same way! What a roller coaster we are on haha. I think the best thing to do is take it a day at a time. That's what I keep telling myself, anyways. To pass the time I've been going to the gym, crocheting, and heading home to Windsor. Little milestones help (i.e. valentine's day coming up, girl's night, my birthday, anniversary, etc). What is everyone else doing to pass them time? 

I totally hear you ! I'm applying to the 2-year MSW programs so I have a long wait too...and have only a semblance of a plan B. I applied last year and made it onto U of T's Waitlist but never got off. I'm hoping with extra experience I've acquired in the past year and half I'll have a better chance. I think I'm more nervous this year than last year !! :S Sometimes I look back and think, I definitely feel more confident about being able to go to grad school, and then other times I'm like pleasee let me in lol.

I'm so happy you all relate! it's good to know I'm not the only crazy one on this forum ;)

I'm currently on a work visa in London england that expires at the end of June. So my plan b is completely up in the air. I could explore with my employer about staying on and having them sponsor me, but I work for the government so I'm not sure if that's even allowed/they have a budget for it. I'm ever so slightly home sick, so I could move back to Toronto and get some more canadian work experience. But to be honest I'm not sure I'm done with my adventures abroad so I'm considering getting a work visa to another commonwealth country. I've also thought about working in France to learn French, or teaching English somewhere in Asia. Who knows! It's just stressful knowing I have no idea where in the world I will be in 6 months.

To pass the time I'm trying to enjoy my last few months in London. I have a few trips coming up... Paris, Greece, Edinburgh so far. So trying to put it out of my mind as much as possible! :)

On the website I found that there are generally 150-200 applicants give or take. Everything happens for a reason, so like you said "what will be, will be." Where would you be moving from? I'm currently in Montreal so Ottawa makes sense for me because it's not far to move and the cost of living is relatively the same, whereas I don't think I can afford to live in Toronto. It's so expensive! 

That makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who did one essay! 

Yeah, I'm currently finishing my undergrad at McGill University - women's studies major, with a double minor in education and sociology. How about you? 

I read on the past forum that if it changes to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" it's like oh my, they are reviewing it - on the edge of your seat panic. and then once it says, "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved" that's YAY!, or the one we hope to not get "Decision made: Declined Admission". They are all on the website, just type in carleton admissions status. 

That is what I read too!!! I think by the end of next week I will start looking at carleton central more nervously because by then its plausible that some responses may be out.  I tried reading through the forum from last year to see approximately when people started to hear back.  

Yeah I did the same and it seemed to be anywhere between February 17th - 21st ish. Nonetheless, it's less than 18 days!! 

That is what I read too!!! I think by the end of next week I will start looking at carleton central more nervously because by then its plausible that some responses may be out.  I tried reading through the forum from last year to see approximately when people started to hear back.  

It feels like time is slowing down and speeding up all at the same time.  When I think about hearing from Laurier it feels like months away, even though it's only a couple weeks.  But I have 3 kids (14, 12, and 9...yes I started young lol, I'm only 34) and I am so busy with their stuff that time is actually moving faster.  I had to take a year off school/work due to health issues so I am just home with the kids for now (still not well health-wise - hoping for the best!).  The older two have science fair projects due next week (which we haven't started yet! Eep!), and essays and all the other homework.  The middle one is wanting my help practicing for a musical she's auditioning for and she's also a competitive gymnast so we are busy with that.  The little one...well, she's 9 and just wants attention period lol.  So that is my answer for everyone!  If you want time to go faster borrow a few kids for a couple of months :P

Edited by smpalesh

Hi everybody! Just wanting to add myself to this thread.

Applied to Classics PhD for Fall 2015 admission.

Rejected by Dalhousie (email from grad coordinator) on Jan 22,

accepted by Calgary on Jan 28 (email from grad coordinator).

Still waiting:

Alberta

McMaster

Toronto

UBC

UWO

Edited by salvoquat