Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

@social work 93, I'm basically in the same position as you. My lease (in Montreal) ends on May 1st but I have a work contract until August 30th so I could try to transfer my job and find an apt and sign a 1 year lease in the city that I get accepted (hopefully), or find a summer sublet in Montreal for the summer and continue my work contract here. Since I've been living with roommates for the last 4 years, I'm finally moving out with my partner so no roommates for me (besides him, haha). I am super excited about starting this next chapter and I'm really fortunate that he's able to move with me (he can also transfer his job). 

You're not alone in obsessing as to whether or not we will get in. That is all I can think about, especially since we will find out about Carleton extremely soon. I got an email response from admissions yesterday stating that they are finalizing their decisions this week (OH MY GOSH) and they want to have everything posted by the end of the month. I'm thinking we will know by next week.  

I literally think about whether or not I will get in EVERYDAY! I applied for the 2 year at U of T, York, Laurier, Carelton, and Windsor. 

I will likely be getting an apartment and moving out to be closer to which ever school I get into. 

Is anyone else going to be moving out and getting an apartment? If you do, do you plan on living along or with a roommate? 

On a different note, does anyone know how to add the "signature" where you can write what schools you have applied to at the bottom of your post? 

Thanks! 

For all the U of T applicants, I'm thinking this might affect us if they don't come to an agreement. 

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/02/12/u-of-t-non-tenured-staff-poised-for-strike-feb-27.html

What do you all think? 

I really hope this doesn't affect us but like blh22 mentioned, I think that most of the professors on the admissions committee are tenured or at least they are permanent which means I don't think this impacts them. It seems to be mostly about TA's and sessional profs. Fingers crossed I am already counting the days as it is so I hope that the decisions don't get delayed even further. 

@ soapaddict, what in particular are you wondering about York's 2 year? 

I really hope this doesn't affect us but like blh22 mentioned, I think that most of the professors on the admissions committee are tenured or at least they are permanent which means I don't think this impacts them. It seems to be mostly about TA's and sessional profs. Fingers crossed I am already counting the days as it is so I hope that the decisions don't get delayed even further. 

@ soapaddict, what in particular are you wondering about York's 2 year? 

I did not even think of that! And from what i am hearing around campus, it looks like a strike is likely (unless some magic happens between now and the 26th).  Maybe we can ask Angela.

@social work 93, I'm basically in the same position as you. My lease (in Montreal) ends on May 1st but I have a work contract until August 30th so I could try to transfer my job and find an apt and sign a 1 year lease in the city that I get accepted (hopefully), or find a summer sublet in Montreal for the summer and continue my work contract here. Since I've been living with roommates for the last 4 years, I'm finally moving out with my partner so no roommates for me (besides him, haha). I am super excited about starting this next chapter and I'm really fortunate that he's able to move with me (he can also transfer his job). 

You're not alone in obsessing as to whether or not we will get in. That is all I can think about, especially since we will find out about Carleton extremely soon. I got an email response from admissions yesterday stating that they are finalizing their decisions this week (OH MY GOSH) and they want to have everything posted by the end of the month. I'm thinking we will know by next week.  

THIS WEEK? ohhhh my goodness 

Thanks for your feedback and welcomes everyone! :)

Kourterr, congrats on being accepted! Did you receive your notification by email or mail? I wasn't expecting that they would be making offers so soon because of their late application deadline. 

Wishing all of you the best of luck.

For anyone applying for the advanced standing MSW, Ryerson seems to still be accepting applications! I literally applied two weeks ago. I intended on staying in Alberta and working for another year and a half.. but the hiring freeze is limiting opportunities here so I made a last minute decision to apply for my MSW!

Prairiegirl2015, I have that as well - it's been there forever. I feel like we will be overanalyzing this portal for the next few weeks. 

I've also been constantly re-reading my personal statements. I know there's nothing I can do about them now but somehow it usually gives me a boost of confidence. Anyone else re-reading their submitted documents? 

Hello all i.e. those who applied to Carleton, I just check my status and under supporting documents it stated admissions application, do any of you have that? I was suddenly excited !

Edited by purplegrey

Thanks for your feedback and welcomes everyone! :)

Kourterr, congrats on being accepted! Did you receive your notification by email or mail? I wasn't expecting that they would be making offers so soon because of their late application deadline. 

Wishing all of you the best of luck.

cheekss, thank you!!  I called them last week to find out what their process was since it's not very clear elsewhere. Basically they have a rolling admissions process, and they don't have a  set deadline that they have all the offers out by. I had my application in by very early December, and therefore it has made it through the lengthy process already. Oh, and I received my notification by email. Fingers are crossed for you!! 

Edited by kourterr

Right?!?! I KNOW!!! I've been freaking out all week! I have a paper + midterm on Monday and I can hardly concentrate. I just want to know so I can start planning. 

Good luck on all your work! I'm just trying to keep busy with work.  We just have to get through this long weekend!

Prairiegirl2015, I have that as well - it's been there forever. I feel like we will be overanalyzing this portal for the next few weeks. 

I've also been constantly re-reading my personal statements. I know there's nothing I can do about them now but somehow it usually gives me a boost of confidence. Anyone else re-reading their submitted documents? 

I have that too and was wondering if this was there the whole time....has anyone seen any other changes to their status? (mine still says review in progress by department)

Mine says the exact same thing: "Review in progress by department". But I second aleksp's comment, does anyone else who has applied to Carleton (1 year or 2 year program) have anything different? 

I have that too and was wondering if this was there the whole time....has anyone seen any other changes to their status? (mine still says review in progress by department)

I forget if someone has already posted this or if I already asked the question, but does anyone know when Lakehead H.B.S.W starts sending out offers of admission? I know Laurier and U of T are usually mid April but can't seem to locate info on Lakehead's site pointing to their timeline.

Thanks!

edit: Nevermind, I figured out how to search the whole thread and saw that someone replied mid-march! Sorry guys, good luck for those finding out soon!

Edited by rachelmsw

@b39 I was wondering about the workload at yorks social work post grad program, and how hard is it to get in

@b39

1) workload is extensive. They strongly advise NOT to have a job while in school.

2) it is very hard to get in- 20 spots for 740 applicants