Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

For those of you in Ontario applying to advanced standing MSW programs, have you tried to enter the job market with a BSW? I graduated with my BSW in May 2014 and found it really difficult to find a job in the GTA/Kitchener/Guelph/Waterloo/etc area. I ended up moving to Alberta for a six month contract in July 2014. My contract recently ended and I chose not to renew (rural Alberta honestly is just not for me...). As of now I'm trying to decide if I should just move back to Ontario whether or not I get into an MSW program and try to find work.. or if I should try to land a job in Calgary or Edmonton as those cities at least seem less competitive than the GTA.  I would love to hear people's experiences of trying to find work in the GTA! :)

I have.   I think it depends on what you mean by GTA and what your experience and desired area of work is.  Short answer: it has been unsuccessful for me so far.  There are so many people here, even Toronto CAS requires an MSW.  Because they can, I think.  Also anyone can ask for a BSW and get hundreds of applicants with an MSW anyway.   If your experience was great, it would help, but honestly I think that you'd need experience with diverse populations that perhaps doesn't happen in rural Alberta.

Your mileage may vary, and it is much easier to find a job in Ontario with a BSW the further out of Toronto you are, but my small group of acquaintances with BSWs don't have jobs in social work at this time.

Edited by wxyyyz

I applied to the health and mental health stream... to be honest I didn't even look at the children and families stream, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have considered it.  Sounds like there are so many great placement agencies in Toronto! :)

My cousin did the MSW program at U of T and there are lots of great clinical opportunities. She has been a family therapist for 5+ years since completing the program. What stream did you apply to? I know that U of T has a wide range of hospital placements, they also have connections with family therapy agencies such as Hincks-Dellcrest, Reach Out Centre for Kids, Oolagen Community Services, etc. From what I've been told the health and mental health stream is a better bet if you're hoping to do hospital social work, but the children and families stream has a lot more courses related to therapeutic intervention (e.g. learning how to conduct narrative therapy, solution-focused therapy, etc).

Same here jjmr89, now I am also reconsidering. On one hand, I have a specific focus in mind that is policy and research based in the field of health and mental health which requires a solid foundation of  policies, current issues, the history etc... On the other hand, I would also like to ensure I have the opportunity to obtain skills related to therapeutic intervention..  I think I just need to remind myself these decisions can be made later IF I am accepted haha

is the children and families stream more related to CAS? what clinical options are available with a MSW?

It is however there is lots you can do with it. You can do counselling for children too. You can work in a youth mental health department. There are lots of opprotunities for that I believe. 

Hey everyone

I lurked through past forums to find a definite date when U of T sends out 2 year acceptances. I don't know if it's been posted here before so here's what I found:

Last year U of T mailed out acceptance packages for the 2 year program on April 7th. Some people posted earlier that week (around April 4th) saying their ROSI had changed to say they were accepted.
In 2013 it seems like packages were received by mail on April 15th.. not sure if/when ROSI showed changes.

So I'm going to try not to think about it until April 1st. Probably won't work...!!

Also I emailed Angela (at U of T) to ask when 2-year candidates need to accept their offer. She said you need to put down a $150 deposit by June 1st to secure your spot in the 2-year program. So if you're on the waitlist, this is probably why people aren't accepted off the waitlist until late May and then into the summer. The waitlist sounds excruciating  :unsure:

Hang in there everyone!!

Eep! I found "the big envelope" from U of T in my mailbox yesterday! I'm beyond thrilled and still sort of not believing it! Anyone else get in yet!? My status hasn't changed online yet BTW. 

Congratulations!!! So exciting :) good for you

Are you pranking us? U of T results don't come in until March.

Advanced standing students find out before 2 year (which is in early April) although I almost had a mini heart attack before I realized it was for advanced standing lol :P

Edited by b39

Another timeline update (again, not sure if it's been posted)... last year, people started receiving acceptance emails for York's 2 year program at the very end of March (around ~March 29-31st). It seems like they also sent out waitlist emails on the same date saying "you've been recommended for admission but we don't have a spot for you at this time" etc.

Even those it's only about a week difference from U of T it seems so much closer. Just a little over a month! Not holding out too much hope for York as it's so competitive, but I'd like to know either way at this point.

Advanced standing students find out before 2 year (which is in early April) although I almost had a mini heart attack before I realized it was for advanced standing lol :P

I am advanced standing so my heart attack hasn't stopped yet! I ran to check my mailbox and nothing there...

I got a private message from a guy asking me a question a few days ago and he said he ha also been accepted to UofT.  I'm not sure why they would be going out a month early.  Have people tried logging into ROSI with the student ID # that you were given when you applied?  I found out I was accepted that way before I got the package in the mail.

Angela Umbrello is very helpful and usually responds to emails very quickly.  Someone could email her and ask if the acceptances are coming out early this year?

Maybe it is because of the potential for the strike? I can imagine it would really back them up.

Thanks for offering this smpalesh. Now I can believe it. I was wait listed last year, maybe I am wait listed again.

Thanks for offering that

I got a private message from a guy asking me a question a few days ago and he said he ha also been accepted to UofT.  I'm not sure why they would be going out a month early.  Have people tried logging into ROSI with the student ID # that you were given when you applied?  I found out I was accepted that way before I got the package in the mail.

Angela Umbrello is very helpful and usually responds to emails very quickly.  Someone could email her and ask if the acceptances are coming out early this year?

Oh man, now I'm having a heart attack too! No changes online and no letter in the mail for me yet. I actually emailed Angela yesterday because I have been accepted to the program at University of Waterloo but it is definitely my last choice. The email I got back today from her was super generic and didn't really answer my question at all. It just said that offers go out mid-February to mid-April. Try to remain calm everyone.. we all know that Canada Post is pretty messed up and even if offers are in the mail, yours may come late! :)

Oh man, now I'm having a heart attack too! No changes online and no letter in the mail for me yet. I actually emailed Angela yesterday because I have been accepted to the program at University of Waterloo but it is definitely my last choice. The email I got back today from her was super generic and didn't really answer my question at all. It just said that offers go out mid-February to mid-April. Try to remain calm everyone.. we all know that Canada Post is pretty messed up and even if offers are in the mail, yours may come late! :)

U of T has never really sent out admissions in mid- February before...

It doesn't mean we aren't wait listed. My ROSI account last year never said anything about being wait listed until I got a letter. Unfortunately I never got off the waitlist.

Okay I am sitting in class having a heart attack!!! (okay not actually but WHAT)!!!!! How are people receiving acceptances from UofT right now? This cannot be happening, I am not mentally prepared for this. Ahhhhhhh! I know it's only for the 1 year but that means the 2 years aren't far behind! Are we seriously getting these a month early?!

smpalesh - Thank you! I'm really excited. It's only my second time going out of the country for a 'tropical vacation'. Doing bristol boards are super fun though! I'm sure it's passing the time and probably overwhelming if they are coming to you last minute. I know I always did that as a kid, haha. 

purplegrey - Have a great time in Cancun!  Hopefully when you get back you will have some awesome news!  I wish I could go away somewhere.  The only thing "distracting" me from waiting for an answer is my kids science fair tomorrow.  I spent the entire night with a stick of glue helping putting together two display boards (the fun of having two kids a grade apart in school - double all the assignments!) :rolleyes:  So much fun! :P

jjmr89 - A lot of the placement opportunities are available for a number of different streams.  There are definitely TONS of options so I'm sure if you get in you will find something you love.  I am hoping to get a placement totally outside of my previous field of work to diversify my resume.  I've been working in the field of sexual assault/domestic violence for the last 6 years so I am wanting to be really open to placement opportunities and just find something where I can do a lot of learning.

hello everyone,

I just received my acceptance to the ! year advanced standing to the University of Calgary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am so thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Until we hear confirmation from a number of people I am still a bit skeptical that UofT is sending out the acceptances this early.  It is possible, it could be related to the potential strike.  Hopefully everyone will hear something soon.

@smpalesh, I applied to a number of universities in Ontario but, this might make more sense financially. Since I have a friend out there and accommodation and all is taken care of. So basically, financially this would be the smarter choice. I have to let them know by March 4. Hopefully I hear from other universities by then. But I am happy regardless. I am content going with this! 

I am starting to think that rumor about U of T acceptances might be true?

Good luck everyone!

I really hope people aren't lying about this... that's not funny and totally immature if so. 

Until we hear confirmation from a number of people I am still a bit skeptical that UofT is sending out the acceptances this early.  It is possible, it could be related to the potential strike.  Hopefully everyone will hear something soon.