Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Business hours are now on - let the stressful day begin. I want to hear from Carleton so badly today! Who is else is freaking out with me today? 

Laurier sends emails? I thought it was snail mail like UofT. 

I got the email from Laurier this morning. I have been accepted!

Hoping many of you got the same email.. especially you smpalesh!

Hi everyone!

I agree with ImpatientlyWaiting; my partner received the exact same offer of admission to U of T 2 WEEKS after a friend of his in the same city did (not MSW, a different grad program, but still relevant) so let's not lose hope yet!

I applied to 7 programs this year because I was determined to get in somewhere; last year I applied to only two (and fairly last minute), and was rejected from both, so my confidence was somewhat shaken, but this year has gone much better! So far, I've been accepted to UBC's advanced MSW, UWaterloo (although they didn't send anything out, I had to check my status through Quest) and just got my email from Wilfid Laurier this morning.

Good luck to all the other WLU applicants, hope you hear some good news soon!  :D

Has anyone else been swinging back and forth dramatically between thinking "there's no way I will ever get in" to "I think I have a decent shot!"???

.... the back and forth is exhausting! One minute I think I'm a lost cause and the next day I feel like I might have a shot. It's so hard to know. I feel fairly confident that I won't get into York, just because it's so competitive, but am still hoping out hope for U of T.
It's so hard to know what they'll value most. I have a 3.7 (out of 4.3 -- A-) in my last year and a decent amount of experience, but it's mostly social services administration, research, or helping roles with youth/young adults (mentoring, peer support, etc. -- but not pure counselling).
Sometimes in my head I feel like everyone else who has applied has much more "intense" (for lack of a better word) experiences. Direct service provision in the community with populations with trauma, addictions, abuse, etc.

It's so hard to know and be guessing :(

I'm hoping we'll hear back from York (2 year) at the end of March. 5 weeks! And possibly 5-6 weeks for U of T.

I've really taken comfort in the posts by some people who have applied several times. Thanks to everyone who has shared their stories in that respect. It seems like everyone has said they learned a lot from their first application and were able to get useful feedback to improve their experiences and application. It's my first time applying so maybe it will take 2 or 3 rounds. Who knows!

Hang in there everyone!!

Thank you! 

smpalesh - my fingers are crossed for you as well! 

Congrats to everyone who has been getting acceptances today!!

purplegrey and smpalesh -- my fingers are crossed for you for Carleton and Laurier today!! Hope you hear soon :)

nutella 14 - I agree completely. I'm sure as you can tell from my previous posts, sometimes I'm super confident and other times I feel like there is no chance I'll get in. Although I absolutely love my personal statement for Carleton I'm afraid that's not what they are looking for. I focused primarily on the development of sexual assault policies for university and college campus across Canada and the hopes of ending the perpetuation of rape culture and instead creating a consent culture on campuses as well. Gah, I'm so conflicted. 

I applied with a 3.68/4.0 and on the McGill grading website it says that a 3.3 is B+ and 3.7 is an A- so I'm not sure what I qualify as but still. I completed 4,360 hours of what I believe relevant volunteer/paid work experience. So much self doubt :( 

So you're certainly not alone in feeling like you're on top of the world one minute and self-doubting the other. 

edit: spelling mistakes. 

Edited by purplegrey

nutella 14 - I agree completely. I'm sure as you can tell from my previous posts, sometimes I'm super confident and other times I feel like there is no chance I'll get in. Although I absolutely love my personal statement for Carleton I'm afraid that's not what they are looking for. I focused primarily on the development of sexual assault policies for university and college campus across Canada and the hopes of ending the perpetuation of rape culture and instead creating a consent culture on campuses as well. Gah, I'm so conflicted.

I applied with a 3.68/4.0 and on the McGill grading website it says that a 3.3 is B+ and 3.7 is an A- so I'm not sure what I qualify as but still. I completed 4,360 hours of what I believe relevant volunteer/paid work experience. So much self doubt :(

So you're certainly not alone in feeling like you're on top of the world one minute and self-doubting the other.

I feel this way too!! At times, I feel like I should absolutely get accepted... And then I'm preparing myself for rejection... It's so hard to gauge properly because you don't know what exactly the competition is... And what matters most ... Statement... Grades.... Experience... References... Research interests ..?!? Lol too many factors ... I just can't wait to be relieved or put out of my misery! Lol dramatic but ... Seriously!!!

I got the email from Laurier this morning. I have been accepted!

Hoping many of you got the same email.. especially you smpalesh!

Congrats! :)

Will you be choosing Laurier over Waterloo?

I'm so happy to see people on here getting accepted; it gives me hope!

I am excited for all those laurier emails this morning! Hope to hear from York and Ryerson soon. I think York mails out letters, i wish they'd do it by email just like the other universities.....

Last year, York emailed their acceptances and wait lists! They snail mailed out rejections, though.

Congrats! :)

Will you be choosing Laurier over Waterloo?

I'm so happy to see people on here getting accepted; it gives me hope!

Thanks so much!

Yes, I will be choosing Laurier over Waterloo! I'm just not that into the idea of an online program. 

Still waiting to hear from 2 more though, and not sure which school I would choose between them. They all have pros and cons for me. 

So, after reading some of the acceptances yesterday, I had a little breakdown and cry (funny because I thought I was okay and was having a cheerful conversation and randomly started crying to a shocked partner). 

Thanks @ impatientlywaiting for really calming me down! 

BUT I am SO SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY for all of you who are getting accepted!!!! <3 

A few questions:

1) For all of you who got into UofT, are you still finishing BSW or are you done?

2) Does anyone know when York sends out acceptance for 1st year?

Thanks,
S

Does anyone know what UofT is doing in terms of acceptance letters? Perhaps they are staggering the letters this year as opposed to sending them all out on the same date? This would make sense (to me at least) because this way there could be more frequent updates for people who they wait-list. I know I previously read from mid-February to mid-April, however when I last spoke with Angela about my application she said that I should know anywhere from the next couple of weeks (which was a couple of weeks ago) to mid-March, but she did not mention April. I'm starting to wonder if they already have it predetermined whose letters will be going out on which dates, and why.

I am wondering the same thing, it seems to be a very different system from previous years. I'm not even getting hopes up for a response from York because I know their decisions are mailed out at random times. Last year I got it near the end of April and other years I've read of people getting them all the way through May. UofT is usually very consistent and timely with decisions.

I'm really, really hoping that the decisions start coming early this year for the 2 year program I want to "rip off the band aid" whatever the response may be. The wait is excruciating! 5 more days until March : ) 

@Selis, I havent heard from U of T or York either...although as time goes on, i am loosing more hope I got in. I am still optimistic until the letter comes in! and maybe you got on the waitlist....Wait until the end of March before concluding anything...good luck to you in waiting :) 

@Selis, I havent heard from U of T or York either...although as time goes on, i am loosing more hope I got in. I am still optimistic until the letter comes in! and maybe you got on the waitlist....Wait until the end of March before concluding anything...good luck to you in waiting  :)

I just spoke with Angela (UofT) and asked if all admission decisions for the advanced standing MSW had been made yet, to which she replied "absolutely not." She also said that they have been closed for the past week due to flooding, and hoping to make all decisions by mid-March. 

As I said earlier, there are many logical explanations why some might have heard earlier than others. No news is not a form of rejection, wait-listing, etc; it is simply no news. Let's all take deep breaths (or do whatever it is that you do   :rolleyes:) and continue to stay positive.

Edited by ImpatientlyWaiting

Damn. I think you have a really good chance of getting in. I feel really nervous now - you have extremely better credentials than I do. I wouldn't worry too much! Carleton can be pretty picky though, I do know that but you seem to have a lot of hours of experience, which is what they look for. Good luck!

Business hours are now on - let the stressful day begin. I want to hear from Carleton so badly today! Who is else is freaking out with me today? 

Laurier sends emails? I thought it was snail mail like UofT. 

me too im compulsively checking my emails and carelton central 

cheekss and Socialworkerr - Congrats to both of you.  I was not accepted to Laurier and I am heartbroken right now.  Now I just have to wait for the rejection letter.  I am completely devastated.  I really thought I had a good chance and I don't understand why they keep rejecting me.  I kind of wish I did not have this board bc I could still be pretending I have hope.  But knowing you two got acceptances this morning means I am rejected as they send them all at the same time. 

@Selis, I havent heard from U of T or York either...although as time goes on, i am loosing more hope I got in. I am still optimistic until the letter comes in! and maybe you got on the waitlist....Wait until the end of March before concluding anything...good luck to you in waiting :)

No, don't lose hope. It ain't over till you get a small letter!

On other note, I figured I would make my signature a little bit more cheery! LOL!!

cheekss and Socialworkerr - Congrats to both of you. I was not accepted to Laurier and I am heartbroken right now. Now I just have to wait for the rejection letter. I am completely devastated. I really thought I had a good chance and I don't understand why they keep rejecting me. I kind of wish I did not have this board bc I could still be pretending I have hope. But knowing you two got acceptances this morning means I am rejected as they send them all at the same time.

Do not internalize this to be about the self. The program accepts 25-30 out of ..what, 160-180? I am sure you are wait listed. You know better than anyone that life happens and you can't commit to grad school... Things can change in an instant. Edited by Socialworkerr

cheekss and Socialworkerr - Congrats to both of you.  I was not accepted to Laurier and I am heartbroken right now.  Now I just have to wait for the rejection letter.  I am completely devastated.  I really thought I had a good chance and I don't understand why they keep rejecting me.  I kind of wish I did not have this board bc I could still be pretending I have hope.  But knowing you two got acceptances this morning means I am rejected as they send them all at the same time. 

I'm so sorry smpalesh.. :(

If I would switch with you for UofT I definitely would! This is my third time applying to Laurier.. I spent 3 years applying to 2 year MSW programs and being rejected, so I understand how painful their rejection is. I eventually did the HSBW instead. 

do you think you could be on the waitlist? If not, I assume you will still still be attending the program at UofT?

No, don't lose hope. It ain't over till you get a small letter!

On other note, I figured I would make my signature a little bit more cheery! LOL!!

@selis love the signature emoji's, I definitely chuckled