Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey :) If anyone is interested in making a Facebook group for Laurier (2year) let me know! I don't mind creating one but I just need to add 1 member while creating it in order for it to work. There are previous previous groups for 2012,13,14,15 and 16 but none for 2017 yet. 

I would be interested in that! I also tried to create one but needed to add members before I could successfully register it as a group. Maybe if we PM you our Facebook info?

Can anyone accepted into Laurier confirm if they've received a physical offer in the mail?

Thanks!

I haven't received anything in the mail, and I live in Kitchener so I should get it quickly...but the mail hasn't been delivered because of the holiday weekend, so maybe today?

I have received admission to York and Dalhousie for Fall 2014. Anyone hAve any advice?

I've heard Dal has a good program, and it's probably better for clinical/direct practice than York. I've heard from many people that York offers little in the way of clinical skills. But Dal is (I think?) entirely online which doesn't work for everyone. Did you get into the online MSW or the campus MSW? Dal is a nicer university than York by a long shot (in terms of the campus & location of campus in the city itself). York is in a bad area, people don't always feel safe on campus, it's far away from downtown, and students commute in and commute out. Halifax is a nice town. Dal has a thesis option.. York has a mandatory practice/research paper (50 pgs, small thesis).. which you could avoid (if you want) if you did the course-based option at Dal.

Depends what you want to do!

Edited by nutella14

I just received an email from Laurier.  I have been waitlisted for the 2-year program (April 7th 11:10am)!

Edited by mish2

Everyone who got into Laurier can I ask a question?? Roughly how many hours of experience in the social services field do you have?? I heard Laurier puts a lot of emphasis on that. I only have about 1000-1200 hours of experience and they say the competitive range is about 3500. I just wanted to know roughly what people have who did get accepted and if it is closer to 3500??

Thanks in advance:)

I have 4500 hours of experience and an 87 average in last completed academic year... I just got my REJECTION letter in the mail from Laurier.

Oh gosh now I'm very scared to check the mail.......

AMetallo, 

I applied with a 3.68 - 3.72 (in that range) out of 4.0, and I have 3609 hours of mixed paid and unpaid work. So I definitely fit closer to the 3500 range. 

Everyone who got into Laurier can I ask a question?? Roughly how many hours of experience in the social services field do you have?? I heard Laurier puts a lot of emphasis on that. I only have about 1000-1200 hours of experience and they say the competitive range is about 3500. I just wanted to know roughly what people have who did get accepted and if it is closer to 3500??

Edited by purplegrey

AMetallo, 

I applied with a 3.68 - 3.72 (in that range) out of 4.0, and I have 3609 hours of mixed paid and unpaid work. So I definitely fit closer to the 3500 range. 

Definitly have an amazing application than! What places have you worked if you don't mind me asking

AMetallo - For unpaid work I volunteered at a sexual assault centre for 3 years where I had different positions and took on different projects. I also volunteered for 3 organizations that dealt with empowering/gender identities and sexualities/advocacy work. I was also on a communications team for a feminist magazine. For paid work, I've been working at Citizenship and Immigration Canada for almost two years. I had a summer paid internship at the Office for Students with Disabilities, and the previous year I worked as a camp counsellor through the YMCA.

I think that about sums it for me, I hope this helps. Also if you have any further questions about work experience/personal statement, please feel free to PM me. I am definitely not an expert but I can try to help :) 

Definitly have an amazing application than! What places have you worked if you don't mind me asking

I got into Laurier. I had an 82 in my last year and 80 overall average. But i had over 10000 hours of experience paid and unpaid in the social service sector. I worked full time and volunteered throughout my whole undergrad and I've been out of school for 2 years. One more year of experience and you will definitely get accepted! Laurier appears to put more emphasis on experience than grades. Toronto is definitely more research grades than anything. Due to my 76 in my third year research methods course I was waitlisted last year and still have yet to hear this year :(

I have about 8000 hours of experience, I think? Mostly paid experience since graduating (it's been a few years for me, obviously!) My grades are ok but not stellar, I think my CGPA is 78 or 79.

I have 4500 hours of experience and an 87 average in last completed academic year... I just got my REJECTION letter in the mail from Laurier. 

I'm so sorry! I wonder how the schools make their decisions? That sounds really competitive to me!

Congrats on getting into UofT, though! :)

WOW really?:S that is so discouraging.

I got into Laurier. I had an 82 in my last year and 80 overall average. But i had over 10000 hours of experience paid and unpaid in the social service sector. I worked full time and volunteered throughout my whole undergrad and I've been out of school for 2 years. One more year of experience and you will definitely get accepted! Laurier appears to put more emphasis on experience than grades. Toronto is definitely more research grades than anything. Due to my 76 in my third year research methods course I was waitlisted last year and still have yet to hear this year :(

I didn't apply to Laurier, but I have worked in non-academic settings with Laurier profs in the past.  They're probably not on the admissions committee, so take this with a grain of salt, but:  I think Laurier is a very competitive program that produces amazing social workers.  The profs I knew from there talked about a lot of their class work involving a lot of self-reflective practices and evidence of real self-awareness. 

This sort of leads me to believe that the school itself might also care a lot about hearing those words from your references and seeing those practices in your personal statement.  Having someone from the school I applied to review my personal statement helped me, I think, if that's an option for you.  

AMetallo - For unpaid work I volunteered at a sexual assault centre for 3 years where I had different positions and took on different projects. I also volunteered for 3 organizations that dealt with empowering/gender identities and sexualities/advocacy work. I was also on a communications team for a feminist magazine. For paid work, I've been working at Citizenship and Immigration Canada for almost two years. I had a summer paid internship at the Office for Students with Disabilities, and the previous year I worked as a camp counsellor through the YMCA.

I think that about sums it for me, I hope this helps. Also if you have any further questions about work experience/personal statement, please feel free to PM me. I am definitely not an expert but I can try to help :)

It does help! Thanks so much!

I didn't apply to Laurier, but I have worked in non-academic settings with Laurier profs in the past.  They're probably not on the admissions committee, so take this with a grain of salt, but:  I think Laurier is a very competitive program that produces amazing social workers.  The profs I knew from there talked about a lot of their class work involving a lot of self-reflective practices and evidence of real self-awareness. 

This sort of leads me to believe that the school itself might also care a lot about hearing those words from your references and seeing those practices in your personal statement.  Having someone from the school I applied to review my personal statement helped me, I think, if that's an option for you.  

I have about 8000 hours of experience, I think? Mostly paid experience since graduating (it's been a few years for me, obviously!) My grades are ok but not stellar, I think my CGPA is 78 or 79.

THANKS everyone :).

I am going to attend the HBSW program at Lakehead so I'm hoping with the two placements we have to do it'll give me more experience as well as I will continue to volunteer at the two places I am volunteering at now!