Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hello Everyone, 

I was the person who has been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, just wanted to see good vibes to all of you. This is my second time applying to Phd programs, after being shut out last year. 

Best of luck to you all! 

Congrats!  

Hello Everyone,

I was the person who has been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, just wanted to see good vibes to all of you. This is my second time applying to Phd programs, after being shut out last year.

Best of luck to you all!

Congrats!

So, to pass the time before I can check my email again  ;), I thought I'd ask you all a question (feel free to ask your own questions, as someone else mentioned wanting to keep the thread going as we all stress out). 

Do you have a top-choice program? Have you ranked all the schools to which you applied or do you think you would you be equally happy at any of them?

So, to pass the time before I can check my email again  ;), I thought I'd ask you all a question (feel free to ask your own questions, as someone else mentioned wanting to keep the thread going as we all stress out). 

Do you have a top-choice program? Have you ranked all the schools to which you applied or do you think you would you be equally happy at any of them?

I visited the USC campus this weekend and have to say that it is definitely in the running for number 1.  Their brand new building is incredible.  

Honestly, I'd love to end up in NYC, only because I want to live with my best friend and Columbia, obviously, but I'm also super excited to hear back from Stanford and/or Brown :) but really, the priority for me is to live with my soul mate(s?) lol

I visited the USC campus this weekend and have to say that it is definitely in the running for number 1.  Their brand new building is incredible.  

Oh, nice! The DGS seemed really proud of/impressed with it as well. Glad to hear! Did you speak with any faculty or students while you were there?

I visited the University of Oregon campus over the break; it was really nice. Eugene is a nice town.

I have a top choice school and, were I to be accepted, would definitely attend. Barring that school, I think I would be equally happy at any of the other schools. However, like bgt28 mentioned, there are two that have the added bonus of family and/or friends nearby. 

Edited by autumn

Yay for keeping the thread going! 

I do have a top choice program (based on fit and my interaction thus far with faculty), but it's really close with my second choice. My second choice would mean living fairly near my partner and not too much disruption to our relationship, and for that it ends up being kind of my top choice. 

I really go back and forth on this.

Sometimes I'm convinced that one program is the best fit, but then I remember another aspect that one of the other programs has that I love.

Also, with a whole family to consider (partner employment, schools for the kids, affordability of housing and cost of living, etc.) that really makes it hard to say one place is the "best" or my "top choice."

In that way, all three are basically my top choice.... which is one reason I narrowed my list down so far! I would be thrilled to go to any one of these schools. That said, there are places that are better for my family (and better for some members of my family but not others).

And, once offers come in (hopefully plural!) the funding package will kind of ultimately determine which program is my top choice...

If I were alone and had no one to consider but myself, it'd be a whole different ball game.

And, once offers come in (hopefully plural!) the funding package will kind of ultimately determine which program is my top choice...

True. I am actually really concerned about the financial aspect of it. I wish comm had one of those stipend lists like philosophy or English, etc. Everyone hopes for guaranteed funding for 5 years but the dollar amount of that funding... who knows.

Many of my programs are SO different, plus like jujubea said a lot of other factors entirely outside the program are at play (family, lifestyle, everything really). Five+ years is a long time to live anywhere, so ... I have no idea. All of my programs are my top picks for one reason or another. 

True. I am actually really concerned about the financial aspect of it. I wish comm had one of those stipend lists like philosophy or English, etc. Everyone hopes for guaranteed funding for 5 years but the dollar amount of that funding... who knows.

That's where asking students in programs helps. I can talk about the funding my department offers because it's across the board and for 4 years (which is when most students finish here). I'm sure there are others who can talk about the funding where they are at.

I'll have a job by January 15th, hopefully, but I just graduated UG in December, so just the job until I hear back. If at the end of the cycle I've not been admitted anywhere I'll move to NYC and work with LGBTQ-oriented scholars, artists, and activists and strengthen my resolve for the following cycle(s).

If this cycle doesn't work out, I may be moving states to be closer to family. I adjunct and do graphic/web design on the side so I would continue to work and look for opportunities to improve my application. I'd apply again next year but after that, I'm not sure I'd be willing to go through a third round. 

I graduated in May so I've just been working full time, working on the side, teaching, researching, applying, etc. 

I left my last job (overseas) in order to pursue graduate studies in the U.S. and be with my family.

If I don't get in anywhere this round, we're going to move anyhow to one of the programs' cities, to get the kids out of the really crappy school system we have where we are.

I freelance right now, and I'd continue that, and take a couple relevant classes for my intended major(s). I might also start (re)learning Spanish, and keep up my existing other foreign language skills. I would look into a short-term immersion program, also, if I could afford it (or get scholarships for it). Besides taking relevant classes to beef up my background, I'd also beef up my GRE scores, and redo my admissions essays. I might also look into publishing some original research, or revamping some older research for publication.

If after two rounds I didn't get in, I'd probably return to the traditional workforce, and reapply after a couple more years (though I'd rather be under 40 before I finish my PhD....). On the plus side if that were to happen, my geographic limits would be lifted by that time, and I could apply anywhere I (and spouse) wanted.

I'm late to the discussion but my top program, has always been my top program but the more I think about it. Funding will play a big part into where I end up next year. Regardless of my options I have at the end of application season, its nice to know you have somewhere to go.

All the programs I applied to has faculty members I can work with and support my research, but my top choice has an added component that is just icing on the cake.

I just was offered admission to the University of Maryland's PhD program in communication with a full Assistantship. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. Waiting for all the others is much easier now knowing I'm going somewhere no matter what.

Congrats! That's so exciting. I'm glad for you. Did you get assigned to your POI of choice or is that decided later?