Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

So just got a rejection from USC Annenberg. So I guess everyone should be hearing soon about the decisions. :)

Rejection from USC Annenberg as well. Best of luck to everyone who applied!

Sad to hear guys. I've also applied to USC, nervously refreshing my inbox now!

Also anyone claiming the Iowa interview?

Hi everyone!

I just found out about this site, and I wish I would have known about it sooner! My focus is in Org Comm and I applied to three schools for a Ph.D. I'm waiting on one last letter but so far the results are as follows:

Purdue: accepted w/funding (tied for my top choice!!)

UT: declined (last choice, so it's ok!)

Good luck to everyone :D

Aww, joining the club of USC rejections. I had little to no hope of being accepted to this school so I'm not surprised. Due to the early deadline, my app was definitely not as strong as it was for the later deadlines.

Best of luck to those of you who have not heard or who have been accepted!

hey everyone, mostly a lurker here but getting too stressed not to jump in. I come from a fine art background so my PhD quest has been rather loopy and non-linear... I only applied to two programs (largely cuz I'm looking to move back to NYC to be with family!) and one is NYU's Media, Culture & Communication - I see it so rarely in people's sigs, anyone else going out for that one? Anyone know if they interview? Results survey suggests I should hold my horses til mid-Feb, but, what can I say....... :blink:

I have not received any notice whatsoever from usc. Refreshing my email constantly ... You guys received emails to check the website?

Yep! The letter was actually dated 1/23 so, if you're worried, maybe just check the status through their website. If there's no letter, I imagine that means you made it to the next round? Maybe? 

I hope so, anyway!

I have not received any notice whatsoever from usc. Refreshing my email constantly ... You guys received emails to check the website?

I've checked the website a couple of times throughout the weekend and haven't seen anything.  I also haven't heard anything from Wisconsin, which makes me think they might just not have sent out the earliest rejections yet.  Oh, well.  

On the more humorous side of life...I bought 1500 beanie babies this past week and it looks like I'm going to turn them for a 500% profit.  (I'm a part-time picker.)

$_1.JPG

^I haven't heard from Wisconsin either, nor have I heard from UT-Austin and I don't know if no news is good news or cause for panic at this point! Nothing can be done besides constantly refreshing my email though. 

Good luck on the beanie baby profit! :)

And I'm sorry to hear about the USC rejections, hope you guys get some good news from other universities soon.

Yep! The letter was actually dated 1/23 so, if you're worried, maybe just check the status through their website. If there's no letter, I imagine that means you made it to the next round? Maybe? 

I hope so, anyway!

No letter on my page. Same as it's always been: "Application status: Submitted." Tentatively hoping that means I made it to the next round?!

Good thoughts to us all. This is beginning to get really thrilling/mortifying, as the responses are picking up steam. 

Pedanticist -- that's HILARIOUS. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

No letter on my page. Same as it's always been: "Application status: Submitted." Tentatively hoping that means I made it to the next round?!

Good thoughts to us all. This is beginning to get really thrilling/mortifying, as the responses are picking up steam. 

Pedanticist -- that's HILARIOUS. 

Are you checking the USConnect or the application page? 

My app page still says "submitted" but the USConnect is where the letters are sent. 

usconnect.usc.edu

I've checked the website a couple of times throughout the weekend and haven't seen anything.  I also haven't heard anything from Wisconsin, which makes me think they might just not have sent out the earliest rejections yet.  Oh, well.  

On the more humorous side of life...I bought 1500 beanie babies this past week and it looks like I'm going to turn them for a 500% profit.  (I'm a part-time picker.)

$_1.JPG

Wow. That picture is amazing and terrifying. So many doll eyes... lol

Are you checking the USConnect or the application page? 

My app page still says "submitted" but the USConnect is where the letters are sent. 

usconnect.usc.edu

Holy cow THANK YOU for pointing that out. I was indeed still checking the application page. 

Still, no decision yet. I felt like I was going to throw up when I pushed the "application decision" button, especially the bit about "USC is pleased to offer you ... the ability to view messages about the status of your application!":

"One or more of your applications is currently under review, so a decision has not yet been posted. Please check back periodically for an update."

Edited by grad_wannabe

"One or more of your applications is currently under review, so a decision has not yet been posted. Please check back periodically for an update."

Yeah, but the first line starts "We are pleased to..." and then finishes send out messages about decisions.  What a horrible first line to put on there!  

Yeah, but the first line starts "We are pleased to..." and then finishes send out messages about decisions.  What a horrible first line to put on there!  

YES exactly! I thought I was going to pass out when I started reading that sentence. My hands were shaking. 

Hello Y'all,

Best of luck or this time of emails and answers!

For those who have questions about UT Austin, Department of Comm Studies, please do not hesitate to contact me! I'll be glad to try to answer any question you may have!

Ugh ok I can't take the constant email checking. Time for a distraction!

What is your favorite in-field book? 

What is your favorite pleasure reading book?

What's your current favorite TV show (if you watch TV)?