Women's Studies - Fall 2015

Guillaume

Also haha bad news is, I got my UCSB rejection today. But good news is, five minutes later I got an email saying my university has cancelled my morning classes because of potential ice--which means I don't have to teach tomorrow. So, since I was expecting the UCSB rejection anyway, I guess I sort of broke even on the email news today....

Also haha bad news is, I got my UCSB rejection today. But good news is, five minutes later I got an email saying my university has cancelled my morning classes because of potential ice--which means I don't have to teach tomorrow. So, since I was expecting the UCSB rejection anyway, I guess I sort of broke even on the email news today....

I'm sorry to hear that Janaca :-(

What do you make of a university spelling your name wrong (multiple times) in an acceptance email? 

Ouch... 

I think it's probably worth remembering that it was likely typed up by a secretary and not the faculty you'd be working closely with. 

Which Michigan sent my info to current students/faculty, they spelled my last name wrong (common last name) and gave me the wrong degree (which I am getting FROM Michigan lol). It's annoying, but I didn't think more of it. 

I admit that that would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth :/ 

Earlier this week I was admitted into my program for the fall of 2014. :-) They could have admitted me for the fall of 1914 and I would have been just as ecstatic. :-) Let's hope an equally positive funding decision follows.

Congrats Guillaume! Maybe they loved your dossier so much they wished you were there now! 

Ouch... 

I think it's probably worth remembering that it was likely typed up by a secretary and not the faculty you'd be working closely with. 

Which Michigan sent my info to current students/faculty, they spelled my last name wrong (common last name) and gave me the wrong degree (which I am getting FROM Michigan lol). It's annoying, but I didn't think more of it. 

I admit that that would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth :/ 

Oh wow! It really isn't uncommon for people to get my name wrong even if they are just repeating it after I had just said it. 

And I must admit it did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But at this point the school would have to give me a full tuition grant and a stipend for me to think about choosing it over Brandeis. (Which worries me, because Boston/Waltham is expensive but I feel like I can't really pass up the opportunities Brandeis offers or their name on me CV.)

Has anyone heard anything from UT Austin about their Master's program? From searching through the forum's on past years, it seems that they have done interviews in mid-February in the past. 

Nothing yet. I looked at their acceptances from last year and it said only 4 people applied and they admitted 0. I hope they make decisions soon! 

Congrats Guillaume! Maybe they loved your dossier so much they wished you were there now! 

Thanks Amity, although I confident this is not the case. Congrats on your acceptances as well. You certainly have some enviable choices *coughs* "Brandeis" *drools*

Thanks Amity, although I confident this is not the case. Congrats on your acceptances as well. You certainly have some enviable choices *coughs* "Brandeis" *drools*

Thanks Guillaume!

I have to admit the name alone--Brandeis--is probably swaying my decision at this point. I go on my campus visit in a little over a week and my imposter syndrome is already causing some anxiety. 

I am sure it will go well. I just hope I can continue to impress them. 

Has anyone heard from UW Madison? I checked my app status last night and it said there was no application on record, despite the fact that I have obsessively checked my status a couple of time each week since I first submitted it and the status continually saying: Pending. Thoughts? I emailed the Office of Graduate admissions but I am sure they are really busy and might not get back quickly. Thoughts? 

Hey ya'll

Any advice for visiting campuses? This is more for those currently in MA programs who've had to  go through the process.

Any questions you wished you would have asked?

Also interested in what to pack? Is casual good or should I like throw in a blazer?

The school I'm going to see just said something about umbrellas and layers.

Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guillaume!

I have to admit the name alone--Brandeis--is probably swaying my decision at this point. I go on my campus visit in a little over a week and my imposter syndrome is already causing some anxiety. 

I am sure it will go well. I just hope I can continue to impress them. 

:-) I can certainly understand that. If you don't mind me asking, what have you gotten in the way of funding? I have a friend who applied there in another discipline (philosophy) and they were a bit stingy with his funding. I did my undergraduate at an Ivy and refuse to take out any additional loans for my education. However, if I didn't have a significant undergraduate debt load, I would definitely consider taking out loans for the likes of Brandeis or Tufts.

As for imposter syndrome...everyone gets it. You are impressive and for anyone else to believe that, you have to believe it!

Has anyone heard from UW Madison? I checked my app status last night and it said there was no application on record, despite the fact that I have obsessively checked my status a couple of time each week since I first submitted it and the status continually saying: Pending. Thoughts? I emailed the Office of Graduate admissions but I am sure they are really busy and might not get back quickly. Thoughts? 

I'll send you a PM about this.

Has anyone heard anything from UT Austin about their Master's program? From searching through the forum's on past years, it seems that they have done interviews in mid-February in the past. 

I called UT (and UW Madison) today. Both programs said it could be as early as this week or up to a few weeks before they make decisions.