Current Comm/Media Studies Doctoral Students

Hi there! In my experience, the best information I've been given has come from students already attending my goal schools. As such, I figured it'd be a good idea to ask any current Comm/Media Studies students to post below if they're willing and able to answer questions and give advice to prospective students. 

You can post which institution you attend, if you're comfortable with that level of disclosure, or you can just specify the type of work you're doing. That should be helpful since I believe most of us are applying to a number of schools, based on research fit. 

Or, if you're a prospective student interested in speaking to current students, post which schools you are considering and current students can choose to contact you privately. 

I am considering the following schools:

- UWisconsin-Madison

- USC

- UT Austin (RTF)

- UMich

- Northwestern

- Brown

- UC Irvine

- UOregon

- UWashington

- UCSB

- UUtah.

I'd like to preemptively thank any current students who are willing to participate. I hope this will help the prospective students who are gearing up for the Fall 2015 cycle. 

Thanks!

- Les

Edited by lesleyautumn

Feel free to reach out if you want to talk McGill or NYU. I don't know if rehearsing our research interests will be all that helpful though- COMS is such an interdisciplinary field and within all the departments I've looked into diversity is the norm. Eh, but what it's worth, I work on the media history of computer technology over the past 60 years, focusing on how computer failure is anticipated and metabolized (poorly).

I'm at Ohio State. 

I'd also be willing to talk to anyone that is conflicted/undecided/unclear about methods. When I started the grad school app process, I really didn't know if I wanted to be a film studies scholar or a social scientist. I applied to programs that were firmly within the critical/cultural tradition, ones known for mixed methodologies, as well as ones that were firmly within the social scientific tradition. OSU is perhaps the most strongly empirical and quantitative department in the field. If you're as unsure as I was, feel free to reach out and I might be able to help guide you or at least help you think things out as I had to.

I'm at USC. Ask away! You can also message me if you want. 

You can also check out the stuff I've written elsewhere:

and 

I also found this post on here particularly helpful (even though it's not comm): 

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you who have participated so far. I know I appreciate it!

Is there anyone who is currently studying at UWisc-Madison?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...