Where are you applying for 2015?

TruffleTime

Whelp, I didn't make the cut. Guess that's it for me. Good luck to the rest of you - and congrats!

Sorry to hear Laurenkef!  You should send me a message with your contact info in case there are any projects that I hear of.  I am all for networking. :) 

Ahh right! But I think the applicants for doctoral programs have not heard back. Congrats on getting in - Kentucky has a great department!

I am waiting too happyoutlier!  ugh, they are making me crazy as that is my top choice and I have been in contact with them for over a year.  My POI contacted me 3 weeks ago to see if I had been admitted because apparently no one outside the admit committee has been informed.  I contacted him 2 days ago to see if there is any news. He doesn't know anything still, but said at this point he thinks I may have not made the first round since I haven't heard anything....but no one but masters admits have heard anything!!  ugh, no one knows anything!  still crossing fingers.  I have 2 other admits and am itching to start planning a move, and get life in order, but I am holding out for word from UK.  I must admit that I am glad I am not the only one that is wondering whats up.

Also in regards to Kentucky - they put that call out for the New Mapping Collaboratory right at the app deadline.  My guess is that on the PhD side of things, they are going to try to fill spots there first.  So if you don't have a focus in critical mapping (which I do not - I love it, but its not my focus), I think the chances of acceptance are going to be slim.  I have briefly met two of the professors heading that project - super interesting guys, super interesting work, super intense.  I kind of wish I had qualified for the project.

Has anyone applying to the geography department at CU Boulder heard back yet?

Nope. Judging by when they notified applicants last year, I'm expecting to hear back sometime this upcoming week.

Hey Kentucky PhD applicants - I just spoke to the super nice admissions secretary, and she said she has not received ANY recommendations for PhDs from Geography yet...no decisions have been made either way.  Guess we keep holdin' on. 

Haha kudos to you ritapita for making that call. I've been meaning to do that... but its so much easier to wait and than to take the intiative to confirm one's fears!

G'luck to you all!

ALSO - Did anyone at all apply to Indiana Bloomington? That school is my top choice and its driving me insane!

For those of you who heard back from WVU, what was the sequence of your online status? I have gone from "submitted" - "out to department" - "reviewed"...but with no direct communication from the department. At this point, I am assuming a rejection, but would love a final word...

As of now, I am still waiting on a few programs:

Penn State - accepted with standard funding package

UVA (Const. Env) - accepted with good ta/fellowship package

Rutgers (Geog) - rejected

WVU - waiting decision

Temple - waiting decision

Va Tech (Planning) - waiting decision

UMary (Planning) - waiting decision

Has anyone made a final decision/acceptance?

By the way, how good is Kentucky in human geography?

Great. That is why they are my first choice.   They are very theory based too, which I love.  There is a good mix of faculty and research there, between the GIS/Geomorph folks, and the human/cultural and political ecology folks. 

Yes!  I went last year.  I have been in contact with them for well over a year (which is why I am so stressed out that I haven't heard anything yet!) It is a very lovely campus and I really really like Lexington.  The main building where most of the department is located is nothing special for sure.  In fact rather lackluster.  Its in some 8 story industrial type office building with horrible colors and dated looking everything..most likely early 80's is my guess. I must say I felt a bit blah when there, but the look of the faculty office building is not why we chose a school for sure.  However, everyone had nice welcoming offices and was really enthusiastic and great to talk to. I visited a few other places on campus...I really enjoyed it and could see myself actually wanting to spend time on campus.  That is not the case where I am now, in the southwest, with dirt colored everything, ugly architecture, and very few trees.  I hate being on campus where I am now. And before anyone says that the atmosphere of the campus doesn't matter, if the program is great, I beg to differ.  I want to feel like being on campus...it helps with morale and productivity.  And now that I have been somewhere for almost 4 years that I loathe stepping foot on, and I try to do as much work as possible at home, I know that I want to be at a campus that I can be engaged with. UK to me provides that. I had to make a very short visit so I didn't visit the GIS lab or a few other things I should have tried to squeeze in, but I wanted to spend my time with faculty as much as I could.