Where are you applying for 2015?

TruffleTime

In case someone is interested in GIS:

The West Virginia GIS Technical Center (http://www.wvgis.wvu.edu),  housed in the Department of Geology and Geography at West Virginia University, is seeking a graduate research assistant at the Masters or Ph.D. level in Geographic Information Science. At a minimum, applicants should have an undergraduate degree in Geography, Geology, Computer Science or related field or any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the qualification and ability to perform the duties of the position. Successful applicants are expected to work toward a higher degree in GIS Sciences.

Job Requirements: Work 20 hours/week and full-time employment during the summer; hours are flexible with class schedule. GRA’s include a tuition waver and stipends at the MA and PhD levels are competitive.

Start Date: Start date is typically August, but other project start dates may be available.

Application Due Date: Review of applicants by the Department and WV GIS Technical Center will begin upon submission.

Minimum Qualifications: 

Must meet the graduate student entrance qualifications of the Geology & Geography Department.

Ability to conduct research in Geographic Information Science and present findings.

Advanced working knowledge of spatial analysis and/or GIS databases.

Accepted into MA or Ph.D. program in the WVU Department of Geology and Geography. For application requirements, see http://geography.wvu.edu/graduate-studies.

Ideal Qualifications: 

GIS Research: Demonstrated ability to conduct GIS research on topics ranging from the physical aspects of a region to human activities within a given area. 

Programming Skills: Demonstrated knowledge of GIS programming languages, application development/implementation, mobile applications, and online mapping services. 

Minimal Supervision: Ability to work independently with minimal supervision

Multi-Tasking: Performs multiple tasks simultaneously in an efficient and effective manner

Communications Skills: Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with other staff members.

Application: 

Submit a formal application to WVU and the Geography Graduate Studies Coordinator. For instructions, seehttp://geography.wvu.edu/graduate-studies/apply.

In your Statement of Interest to the Graduate Studies Coordinator, express your desire to work at the WV GIS Technical Center.

In addition, interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to Kurt Donaldson Manager, WV GIS Technical Center, email: WVGISTechCenter@gmail.com. If possible, please provide links to previous research and contributions to successful GIS applications.

Hello everyone! I'm glad i found this blog :)  . Well, i have applied for 4 universities - SUNY buffalo, U of Kentucky, UC Boulder and Oregon State U. I got my first admit from SUNY Buffalo last week and waiting for the other 3 decisions. 

What are your opinions about the above programs particularly suny ? 

Edited by ilovemusic

I can actually post here now since I applied to 1 program, York in Toronto. Underscor, I know one of the U Minn admits, who's very smart and has a year or more's fieldwork experience abroad. I'll say more on  UM in a min.  I've mainly applied to sociology programs (8 I think in the US), plus a few schools in other fields in N America and UK. But at the last minute after years of mulling it over, I switched my York app to Geography, got the most helpful/thorough email re:admissions from the grad director I've ever gotten from any prof and now  just submitted my York app, which to me who's used to Dec/Jan deadlines, has an amazing late one still 10 days away! I am now regretting not applying to Minn, along at least w/Toronto and CUNY, all of which had people related to my interests. This is a really interesting field and seems to be doing things in critical human geog area that aren't being doing polisci or sociology, while antho's just a bit too cultural-centric for me. I'm a US-ian, but am hopeful about York, hope ya'll get in somewhere good.

minnesota just waitlisted me for anyone expecting to hear from them

Got an acceptance to Kansas State today.  Still waiting on 2 programs.  I specialize in rural cultural geographies, so it is a great choice for me, but I still can't wait to see if there will be other options. So nice to know I have at least one.  

How is everyone else doing?

Congrads Rita! I had a phone interview w/grad program director @ york u in toronto today. Says I'm a good fit, my research topic is "fascinating" and he could make me a funded offer, problem is foreigners like me still have to come up w/outside funding for the higher tuition we pay. So he's putting my file on hold b/c otherwise I'd have to make a decision  within 30 days. It appears I have maybe till April 1 to come up w/the money. This is bitter sweet, doesn't change anything yet, but this is first type of call like this I've ever had. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for funding to study abroad at this time of year?

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting, waiting, waiting, for University of Washington to send their letters. A former student told me not to expect it until the first week of March. Doesn't make me want it less!

I wish this forum were more active so I could bide my time by reveling in all of your successes and commiserating with your rejections. What's up? Where are people hearing from? Waiting for? 

Hey all! I check this forum a lot, but haven't posted my anxieties. I've heard back from Arizona, waiting on Oregon State and some planning programs. Looking into funding stuff now too.

to ilovemusic- I went to suny for undergrad and absolutely love it. I went to a liberal arts suny, but buffalo is great for research (my brother is there now). not so great for weather, I don't know if that's a big factor for you (might be a shock coming from India). Message me if you have any questions about suny in general!

Ellis - did you get accepted to ASU?  I am there now so if you need any info, let me know.  

I know that Kentucky has been closed since last week due to weather so anything that would have come out this week will most likely be a week or so more.  Driving me crazy.

Has anyone gone to Kansas State?  I need some insight.

Yes, lets keep this board more active!  

What are you all hoping to pursue in grad school?

I wrote my SOP about conducting research at the intersection of agriculture and social justice with a relational poverty approach, focusing on zones of cross-class encounter. It seems to fit really well with three or four profs in the UW department so I hope they will find me compelling. I have lots of other interests, but I had to narrow it down for the essay. I'm most excited to be able to throw ideas around with other students and faculty to refine my interests before settling on a project.

Lauren - where all did you apply besides UW?  

My research will shift slightly based upon where I go, and therefore my statement did as well, but the statement in my SOP that I REALLY want to focus on was this: "... further develop work considering the cultural implications of policy actions surrounding natural resource acquisition, eminent domain, and market economies in remote agrarian communities. I expect to draw upon such theoretical concepts as post-Foucauldian biopolitcs, neo-colonialism, and the phenomenology of dwelling. Underlying themes of human-animal relationships, indigeneity, race, and gender are equally important in contextualizing such work...." etc etc.

Just UW for me this year. My husband is still in grad school so we can't move yet and, given that I love living in Seattle and think UW would be a great fit, I decided to go for it. Looks like you've already got 2/3 acceptances - what are you leaning towards?

Sounds like we had similar foci. Did you note any POIs in your app?

Ritapita- It was University of Arizona, and I did get accepted! I'm hoping to focus on water resource management & resilience planning, so I'm really excited about working with some of the professors there. Trying to play it cool and wait to here from other places though.

Is Kansas State the one in Manhattan? I've been out of undergrad for a few years, but I think one of my geography classmates went there and was happy with it.

Ritapita- It was University of Arizona, and I did get accepted! I'm hoping to focus on water resource management & resilience planning, so I'm really excited about working with some of the professors there. Trying to play it cool and wait to here from other places though.

Is Kansas State the one in Manhattan? I've been out of undergrad for a few years, but I think one of my geography classmates went there and was happy with it.

Arizona is a great place for water resources!  Congrats!

I've been accepted to Illinois (with funding) and Ohio State (no word on funding yet).

Still waiting to hear back from Boulder, U Washington, and UNC-CH.

Still not sure which one is my top choice...

Just UW for me this year. My husband is still in grad school so we can't move yet and, given that I love living in Seattle and think UW would be a great fit, I decided to go for it. Looks like you've already got 2/3 acceptances - what are you leaning towards?

Sounds like we had similar foci. Did you note any POIs in your app?

I was a planner in Olympia.  I miss it up there.  Good luck with UW, keep us posted.  I agree that we seem to have overlap for sure.  I applied to 2 Geography programs  - U Kentucky and Kansas State, as well as the CSUS program at Michigan State.  I am implied and pending funding at Michigan, and in with funding (9 mo stipend via TA and tuition waiver for 3yrs) at Kansas. No notice either way at Kentucky.  I was super clear about POIs in each of my apps.  Because I am so specific in my work and few programs can support it, I only applied to 3.  Now I wish I had pushed my boundaries a bit more and applied to a couple more, but I am still satisfied with what I submitted to.

Ahh, I lived in Tucson for a few years and did some grad non degree work there. Great place for water resources and I almost did the arid soils program there a few years ago.  Nice campus, good cost of living.  Hope you like summer, because you will have it at least 6months a year.

Yeah, KSU is in Manhattan.  Not sure how I feel about the town.

I've been accepted to Illinois (with funding) and Ohio State (no word on funding yet).

Still waiting to hear back from Boulder, U Washington, and UNC-CH.

Still not sure which one is my top choice...

If you have any questions re: OSU, feel free to PM me!

@blueridge - When I was accepted to Rutgers I didn't get any notification. It was posted on the application website only. Maybe rejections work the same way?