DAAD

Horb

https://www.daad.org/gradstudy

Got to Terms of Award and look for the last bullet point there.

Ok thanks. That seems to be the North American site, maybe their scheduling is different to other regions. The Australian site only says "around March". By looking at the past years on GradCafe, it seems most people were getting their results late March. I hope it's not too far away...I'm now getting into the bad habit of checking the portal and this forum every day for the results.

Edited by lukebonanno

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered previously. Does anyone know if DAAD study grants compete with Fulbright German Research grants in terms of the timeline of decisions? Meaning, do the two programs compete to get their applications out before one another in order to entice successful applicants?

Does anyone have an idea how difficult is to get the Graduate Study Scholarship?  or what is the typical profile of succesful applicants?

Any feedback appreciated

As far as I know the DAAD does not publish official statistics as far as past acceptance rates or profiles of successful applicants.

If you look at DAAD threads on this forum from previous years, you can get a rough idea of the kind of applicants that were accepted/rejected. Some past applicants have discussed statistics that they've heard informally from the DAAD, but none of that is official:

From reading through past threads myself, it looks like there's no "standard" profile of a successful applicant. Obviously academic performance is an important factor, but I get the impression that beyond a certain threshold their decision comes down to qualitative factors like how convincing your motivation is to study in Germany (vs another country), your research topic / subject area, how well you speak German, etc.

I should start thinking about other things during my day.

Since January I've spent too much time in anticipation. Nicer to be surprised by an unexpected email, whenever it comes.

Back to normal life!

Lol Caelryck I know what you mean...been on this forum nonstop since i found it...gonna be so depressed if i dont get this scholarship as my current job is so not my passion. I would rather go explore Europe and be intellectually stimulated by University than sit at a desk doing a dreadfully boring job...too bad I cant afford doing this study journey without the scholarship

I hit a really good place in January and February where I just assumed that no one would hear back until April. Then I saw results from 2013 where a person applying for my grant found out in early March. It has been hell ever since. 

Horb, do you know if there's a spreadsheet for DAAD anywhere on these forums (like the ones we have for previous years' Fulbright results)?  I could sure use something new to obsess over...ha ha! :)

Horb, do you know if there's a spreadsheet for DAAD anywhere on these forums (like the ones we have for previous years' Fulbright results)?  I could sure use something new to obsess over...ha ha! :)

I'm not sure. I only found a few people who posted on the results page. I know there is a spreadsheet floating for Fulbrights. Perhaps we should make one for the DAAD? 

As soon as we get the results we're gonna look back on this waiting time and wonder why we weren't just a little more carefree. Whether we get accepted or not, the lead-up to either can be made tortuous by impatience. 

Horb I fell into that trap too haha. But I'm just gonna deliberately do other normal things now. Brokecollegegrad I know how you feel, I'm assistant teaching at schools in Germany (for English) and while that's fun, I really want to start working towards my real career.

Edited by Caelryck

Hey Caelryck,

At least you are over in Europe...that would be so interesting...I'm still over in New Hampshire, Murica....working in Finance....ugh so boring. My job is so dull and not mentally stimulating...any monkey could do it...I just took it because the job market was really tough when I graduated...and as for doing a Masters here in the U.S: 1)I find Europe much more interesting 2) I cant really afford to rack up anymore student loan on top of the one i already have from undergrad (Murican higher education system is broken, I mean 55,000 per year...how is that ok?)

Yeah I can understand that.

But the novelty of Europe wears off after a while. For me, after 8 months Germany felt no more interesting than home. That has a positive side too, but I'm with you on wanting to be intellectually challenged once again. 

Let's see what happens.

As soon as we get the results we're gonna look back on this waiting time and wonder why we weren't just a little more carefree. Whether we get accepted or not, the lead-up to either can be made tortuous by impatience. 

Horb I fell into that trap too haha. But I'm just gonna deliberately do other normal things now. Brokecollegegrad I know how you feel, I'm assistant teaching at schools in Germany (for English) and while that's fun, I really want to start working towards my real career.

Hey Caelryck! Are you currently on a Fulbright or something similar teaching in Germany? I have applied for the Fulbright ETA and also the Teaching Assistantship in Austria, but am wondering if there are other options to teach if I am not accepted to one of these two.

Also a general question -- what types of programs are people applying for funding for? I am wanting to look into DAAD funding after a year off (doing something fulbright related.. hopefully) but haven't done a lot of research for it yet. I just want to get a general idea so I can start to form my own (personally looking to get into education and community outreach... hoping to learn Turkish and work with migrant populations within Germany)

Hey Caelryck,

At least you are over in Europe...that would be so interesting...I'm still over in New Hampshire, Murica....working in Finance....ugh so boring. My job is so dull and not mentally stimulating...any monkey could do it...I just took it because the job market was really tough when I graduated...and as for doing a Masters here in the U.S: 1)I find Europe much more interesting 2) I cant really afford to rack up anymore student loan on top of the one i already have from undergrad (Murican higher education system is broken, I mean 55,000 per year...how is that ok?)

What field are you looking to get an MA in?

As you'll see if you poke around this website, many of the better MA programs in most fields are fully funded including living stipends in the US. If it's a dual MA/PhD program, pretty much any good program is funded through fellowships, TAships, or RAships in most fields (and most will allow you to drop out and take the MA if you decide against the PhD).

In many fields, the financial situation for MAs is actually better here than in Germany - if I had done my MA in Germany, I would have had free tuition but would have had to pay plane ticket, living expenses, etc. Teaching is hard to come by, and MA students are rarely funded. Instead I got free tuition, a stipend large enough to save a little, and funding for a summer in Germany! 

Edited by umamam

Hey Caelryck! Are you currently on a Fulbright or something similar teaching in Germany?

My stay and my job in Germany was self organised!

I moved to Bavaria in early 2014 to live with a family who are good friends of mine, on a 1 year 'work and travel' visa, and I was lucky to have the principal of a high school in my village (friend of a friend) offer me the assistant English teaching job. I'm on volunteer pay (500 euros/month) but it's enough for me and I love the job. I've since had my visa extended so I can study at Hertie in September, so I'll be in Germany for years to come!

Edited by Caelryck

I need to find out about the DAAD. I applied for summer jobs as a contingency plan, thinking that if I applied now I'd hear from them in two weeks or so for interviews (if I got to that stage). I'm hearing back already and don't want to make a decision until I know about the DAAD for sure.

Nice!  Thanks for checking into that, Horb!  Next week, please, next week.....

Same! I have two job interviews for summer positions so I'd really like to know next week so I can decide!