Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

Hola amigos,

Os digo que voy a aceptar mi oferta del programa doctorado a Indiana.  ¡Mucha suerte a los que esperan!  Si vienes a Indiana también, ¡déjame saber y hablamos más!  Mi área principal es literatura española y estudios catalanes.

Hola amics,

Us dic que vaig a acceptar la meva oferta del programa doctorat a Indiana.  ¡Molta sort als que hi esperen!  Si véns a Indiana també, ¡fes-me saber y parlem més!  La meva àrea principal es literatura española i estudis catalans.

Fins aviat, y'all! :)

The coordinator told me that all acceptances to Pittsburgh were sent last week but that I'm "halfway between those accepted and those rejected" and that they will notify me in April. I guess that's waitlist? It doesn't sound like I'm high on the list.

The coordinator told me that all acceptances to Pittsburgh were sent last week but that I'm "halfway between those accepted and those rejected" and that they will notify me in April. I guess that's waitlist? It doesn't sound like I'm high on the list.

It's better than a "no" right? Buena Suerte.

Hola amigos,

Os digo que voy a aceptar mi oferta del programa doctorado a Indiana.  ¡Mucha suerte a los que esperan!  Si vienes a Indiana también, ¡déjame saber y hablamos más!  Mi área principal es literatura española y estudios catalanes.

Hola amics,

Us dic que vaig a acceptar la meva oferta del programa doctorat a Indiana.  ¡Molta sort als que hi esperen!  Si véns a Indiana també, ¡fes-me saber y parlem més!  La meva àrea principal es literatura española i estudis catalans.

Fins aviat, y'all! :)

Buena suerte!

Hello everybody, I have been posting some of my results in this page and this is the first time I am writing in the forum. I applied to several schools (8) and I have received very positive outcomes (accepted in 6), however as of now I have narrowed my options to Indiana and Wisconsin. I believe that both programs are strong and have a good reputation, there is faculty in both institutions I could work with, so my question is, from what you know or have heard which of these two programs is in better standing right now (my area in L.A Literature)?. This year Indiana seems to be very popular among applicants, last year Wisconsin was more present. I know that as an overall institution Wisconsin is ranked higher everywhere but I know that when it comes to PhD programs we have to focus on the program itself and not just the ranking of the institution. If you have any advice or have applied, plan to attend any of this two programs I would like to hear from you, any information or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Hello everybody, I have been posting some of my results in this page and this is the first time I am writing in the forum. I applied to several schools (8) and I have received very positive outcomes (accepted in 6), however as of now I have narrowed my options to Indiana and Wisconsin. I believe that both programs are strong and have a good reputation, there is faculty in both institutions I could work with, so my question is, from what you know or have heard which of these two programs is in better standing right now (my area in L.A Literature)?. This year Indiana seems to be very popular among applicants, last year Wisconsin was more present. I know that as an overall institution Wisconsin is ranked higher everywhere but I know that when it comes to PhD programs we have to focus on the program itself and not just the ranking of the institution. If you have any advice or have applied, plan to attend any of this two programs I would like to hear from you, any information or advice is greatly appreciated. 

I applied to Indiana as well and I am on the waitlist. I applied there because I was doing my thesis on Elena Garro and one of the professors at that school did some work on her plays, which I also did. Also, my adviser is an alum so I thought I might as well apply since my research interests fit well with some of the people there.

Where else did you get accepted into? Indiana isn't particularly known for Latin American literature (I don't think so, at least), but it does seem to have some cool people doing some interesting things in the field. I think it's popular because it has a rather large Hispanic linguistics program, which is rare since most universities seem to focus more on literature. The results page seems to be mostly linguistics rather than literature. Did you get invited to the open house? You should visit both schools and then you can ask more questions and get a feel for the schools.

Edited by BeatrizBear

First of all, ¡Felicidades! I agree with BBear. In my opinion you should visit all the schools, unless there are definite reasons to rule any out. You might discover many factors you didn't realize existed. Then you can make an informed decision. 

Edited by ***

I applied to Indiana as well and I am on the waitlist. I applied there because I was doing my thesis on Elena Garro and one of the professors at that school did some work on her plays, which I also did. Also, my adviser is an alum so I thought I might as well apply since my research interests fit well with some of the people there.

Where else did you get accepted into? Indiana isn't particularly known for Latin American literature (I don't think so, at least), but it does seem to have some cool people doing some interesting things in the field. I think it's popular because it has a rather large Hispanic linguistics program, which is rare since most universities seem to focus more on literature. The results page seems to be mostly linguistics rather than literature. Did you get invited to the open house? You should visit both schools and then you can ask more questions and get a feel for the schools.

Beatriz at Indiana there are 6 professors working on L.A Lit (the same number at Wisconsin) I think there is no perfect school. I know that for L.A Lit Pittsburgh is probably one of the best options, I also applied there but I am on the waitlist and I know for a fact that it is almost impossible to get off that waitlist. At Indiana I know that the Linguistics program is one of the best in the country, but overall I believe that program is also strong in Literature. At the end in the job market it all depends on what you do as a student, what you publish, your teaching experience, etc. I just wanted to ask around to hear other opinions and experiences. I know that wherever I decide to go I will have an enriching experience. I will try visit both school, although it is not really within my budget.  

Beatriz at Indiana there are 6 professors working on L.A Lit (the same number at Wisconsin) I think there is no perfect school. I know that for L.A Lit Pittsburgh is probably one of the best options, I also applied there but I am on the waitlist and I know for a fact that it is almost impossible to get off that waitlist. At Indiana I know that the Linguistics program is one of the best in the country, but overall I believe that program is also strong in Literature. At the end in the job market it all depends on what you do as a student, what you publish, your teaching experience, etc. I just wanted to ask around to hear other opinions and experiences. I know that wherever I decide to go I will have an enriching experience. I will try visit both school, although it is not really within my budget.  

If you get invited to the open house, typically the school gives you some money to come visit or they pay for the entire trip. When I was applying one of my advisers listed Berkeley, UT Austin, Princeton, and Pittsburgh for Latin America. Look at the research interests for each professor carefully. Even though you say they're all studying Latin American literature, that's a very broad spectrum. Some professors only study specific regions or time periods, so make sure that the professors study the same things that you're interested in.

When did you find out that you were on the wait list at Pittsburgh? I am too, but I had to email the director to find out. They haven't been communicating with me a lot. =/ 

Ah! I didn't mention it before, but my research interests are: Border Studies, Us Latino literature with a focus on women writers, 20th and 21st century Spanish American Literature with a focus on women writers, and immigration in the United States.

Edited by BeatrizBear

If you get invited to the open house, typically the school gives you some money to come visit or they pay for the entire trip. When I was applying one of my advisers listed Berkeley, UT Austin, Princeton, and Pittsburgh for Latin America. Look at the research interests for each professor carefully. Even though you say they're all studying Latin American literature, that's a very broad spectrum. Some professors only study specific regions or time periods, so make sure that the professors study the same things that you're interested in.

When did you find out that you were on the wait list at Pittsburgh? I am too, but I had to email the director to find out. They haven't been communicating with me a lot. =/ 

Ah! I didn't mention it before, but my research interests are: Border Studies, Us Latino literature with a focus on women writers, 20th and 21st century Spanish American Literature with a focus on women writers, and immigration in the United States.

I just found out about Pittsburgh yesterday, and I also found out because I had been sending messages asking about the status of my application. I visited Indiana last year for a conference and I really liked it, I have not visited Wisconsin and yes I know we have to look into specific research interest, fortunately at both school there are professors who have done important work in my area of interest. It is also important however to have the opportunity to take different courses in varios areas and see what courses have been offered in previous years. At Indiana they have offered several courses in 20th and 21st L.A narrative which is also my interest. At Wisconsin they have offered more courses focused on peninsular Lit. but they also offer courses in LA. Literature. Going back to Pittsburgh I think it is very hard to get off the waitlist their acceptance rate is very low and almost everyone who receives and offer accepts, but we will have to wait. 

I'm sure whether you pick Indiana or Wisconsin you'll do well. Pick the one that you like best. Be sure to ask the coordinator about money to visit so that you don't end up shouldering a huge financial burden before you even start! Did you get funding at both schools?

Edited by BeatrizBear

I'm sure whether you pick Indiana or Wisconsin you'll do well. Pick the one that you like best. Be sure to ask the coordinator about money to visit so that you don't end up shouldering a huge financial burden before you even start! Did you get funding at both schools?

Yes I was offered funding at both schools: tuition remission and a TA position for 5 years.

Thanks to everyone and, also, congratulations to all the admits. There's been some really impressive ones on this thread! It ain't over till it's over