Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

I found out I was not accepted to UC Davis yesterday. Anyone get in?

Still waiting to hear back from them. This sucks, I am very sorry to hear it! At least you aren't waiting anymore for a decision and it's less weighing on you. Everything happens for a reason. There are still a lot of schools that you have yet to hear from and I have very good feelings about those for you. 

Just got into UT Austin but no $$$ haha.

I don't know why they accept people without funding. That's crap. That's essentially a rejection because nobody has the funds to pay for a PhD on their own unless they're rich. Plus, you can't work full time and go to school full time so how are you supposed to pay? Did they specifically tell you that you're not getting any funding? Maybe you could work as an RA or something?

Hola gente, me presento: estoy aplicando para Fall 2015, PhD in Spanish. Tengo varias ofertas, entre ellas CUNY y NYU. En general, qué programa de doctorado os parece más fuerte?

NYU tiene una reputación muy buena. Pero las dos escuelas están en una ciudad muy cara. Donde más te han ofrecido un puesto?

Hola gente, me presento: estoy aplicando para Fall 2015, PhD in Spanish. Tengo varias ofertas, entre ellas CUNY y NYU. En general, qué programa de doctorado os parece más fuerte?

Both are great but you should consider cost and professor of interest as some of your biggest factors.

Who are you still waiting on?

NYU (which seems unlikely but still a possibility) and Tulane...I have an A average in my MA courses at a top 30 university in the world. But my GRE is terrible...I have a feeling that's what's holding me back. Grrrrr. C'mon Tulane give me some love. 

NYU (which seems unlikely but still a possibility) and Tulane...I have an A average in my MA courses at a top 30 university in the world. But my GRE is terrible...I have a feeling that's what's holding me back. Grrrrr. C'mon Tulane give me some love. 

I'm waiting on NYU too, but they interview everyone they're going to admit so I'm likely going to be rejected. Have you only had negative results so far? My GRE isn't great either...

Edited by BeatrizBear

I'm on my phone so I can just change the language on my phone's keyboard and the Spanish keyboard shows up. I have an Android phone so I can't say if it works on other systems. You can change the language on your computer's keyboard as well, although I don't know if it works for Macs in case you have one.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

This is what I did to my PC to get the Spanish keyboard. A little icon shows up in the taskbar that lets you switch between keyboards. Also, you can add stickers to your keyboard so you can remember which key does which when you're not using the English keyboard. You can also add languages to your browser so that it checks for spelling in other languages besides english.

Edited by BeatrizBear

Still waiting to hear back from them. This sucks, I am very sorry to hear it! At least you aren't waiting anymore for a decision and it's less weighing on you. Everything happens for a reason. There are still a lot of schools that you have yet to hear from and I have very good feelings about those for you. 

Thank you! I am trying to stay positive...I just need one yes!

This is what I did to my PC to get the Spanish keyboard. A little icon shows up in the taskbar that lets you switch between keyboards. Also, you can add stickers to your keyboard so you can remember which key does which when you're not using the English keyboard. You can also add languages to your browser so that it checks for spelling in other languages besides english.

Yeah, I knew about this...I'll have to memorize the keys so I know which ones are which. 

Thanks.

I think the whole status thing is kind of unreliable. I got accepted to the MA LAS program at UT Austin over two weeks ago and it still hasn't changed from "in review."

Thanks! I was asking because some people who got rejected  last week got an email to check the website. But I guess each case is different :)