Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

I know it's a little late in the game...but just a heads up for people who are interested in UT Austin's Spanish/Portuguese Ph.D. program. One of the professors I met today (Arias) said the department is looking for applicants in two primary and broad areas: indigenous and afro-american studies (particularly Mesoamerican) and immigration in the Iberian Peninsula. He said that these are the two streams of scholarship that the department has really been moving/focusing towards (and hence, building a more cultural studies program) rather than a more traditional literature based program.  

Edited by victorydance

A los que habíais entrado en Austin pero sin funding, ¿os ha llegado un email sobre el cambio de status en la aplicación? Me ha llegado otra carta de aceptación diferente de la oficina de estudios graduados, no tengo ni idea de si eso significa algo más...

Edited by SDB

You didn't check the website for a month!!??!! I was checking like every 10 minutes. Anyway, congratulations!

You didn't check the website for a month!!??!! I was checking like every 10 minutes. Anyway, congratulations!

I know. Really weird. They use the same application system (Apply Yourself) as 3 other schools that I applied to, which all sent me e-mails stating that a decision had been made, so I figured that it would be the same - they make a decision and I get a status update email. But apparently not! I got a "while you wait" email actually, the day before the decision was posted online so I was under the impression they weren't even close. The deadline was March 1st, after all! It was DEFINITELY unexpected! But thanks!!

I just called a couple of programs. They didn't mind at all. Of course, that was the only time I called in the last three months so I didn't feel like I was pestering them. I got into a couple more MA programs, one has good funding with TA.

Sadly, nothing new. I will email my other two universities to ask them about their decisions. Do you think is a good idea or maybe waiting a little longer is better?

I've been emailing the schools that I'm waitlisted at, asking them questions about the waitlist and such things. I don't think they mind you asking questions as long as you don't become a pest.

I applied to Tulane also...however, there is no answer (maybe I have been rejected?). I'm kind of worry, becaue I sent an email to Rutgers and Tulane (as I ask before) some days ago, but theres no reply...

Edited by Spoonman1089