Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

Hello everyone! I recently found The Grad Cafe, but I wish I had found it earlier! I'm currently weighing my options between two different programs and was wondering what you all think.  The first program is a better fit for me curriculum-wise, has a strong group of professors in my area of interest, and the department seems to have a great community.  The second school has a more prestigious name, better funding/travel opportunities and has a great record with job placements, but seems to be lacking an environment where I can see myself happy, and the department is stronger in areas that are outside of my interests.  Which school would you all lean towards?

¡Buenos días a todos! Enhorabuena a los aceptados y suerte para los que aún esperan. Yo he sido admitida en UW-Madison como TA en el PhD de literatura española. ¿Alguien más se viene a Wisconsin? Espero estar eligiendo bien, aunque he de decir que me consuela pasearme por el foro y ver que no soy la única con dudas.

Good luck! 

Hey guys! Congratulations to all that have been accepted and good luck to the ones that are still waiting. I've been admited to the Spanish literature PhD at UW-Madison. Is someone else coming to the same university? I hope I've made the right choice, I have my doubts but it's somewhat comforting to see a lot of people expresing the same feeling here in the GradCafe.

Buena suerte!

;)

Edited by Macabea

Hello everyone! I recently found The Grad Cafe, but I wish I had found it earlier! I'm currently weighing my options between two different programs and was wondering what you all think. The first program is a better fit for me curriculum-wise, has a strong group of professors in my area of interest, and the department seems to have a great community. The second school has a more prestigious name, better funding/travel opportunities and has a great record with job placements, but seems to be lacking an environment where I can see myself happy, and the department is stronger in areas that are outside of my interests. Which school would you all lean towards?

If you can't see yourself at this school then don't go. A good fit is more important than rank. Also, you're going to be there for a few years. Going to a school where you won't be happy will keep you from finishing. On top of that, going to a school that isn't good for your interests might make it hard to do research.

Edited by BeatrizBear

¡Buenos días a todos! Enhorabuena a los aceptados y suerte para los que aún esperan. Yo he sido admitida en UW-Madison como TA en el PhD de literatura española. ¿Alguien más se viene a Wisconsin? Espero estar eligiendo bien, aunque he de decir que me consuela pasearme por el foro y ver que no soy la única con dudas.

Good luck! 

Hey guys! Congratulations to all that have been accepted and good luck to the ones that are still waiting. I've been admited to the Spanish literature PhD at UW-Madison. Is someone else coming to the same university? I hope I've made the right choice, I have my doubts but it's somewhat comforting to see a lot of people expresing the same feeling here in the GradCafe.

Buena suerte!

;)

Someone else posted about getting into that school in the thread, I think. But I don't think they decided where to go yet.

¡Felicidades a Macabea y SDB!  

Too bad scarvesandcardigans, I've got some denials too, if that makes you feel any better.

I went to a prospective students event and it was pretty impressive and exciting.

Too bad scarvesandcardigans, I've got some denials too, if that makes you feel any better.

I went to a prospective students event and it was pretty impressive and exciting.

It's not a good event unless there's free food.

Muchas gracias!

My neighbors suddenly started putting all their things into a giant moving truck at 10 PM today. It's freezing outside and it's the last day of February. It looks like they're fleeing into the night. Also, I'm very nosy.

Edited by BeatrizBear

Thanks. It was my first rejection from my top school so it was kind of a huge hit but I know we are all in the same boat with it sometimes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here, and am happy to see more admits coming in!

Thanks. It was my first rejection from my top school so it was kind of a huge hit but I know we are all in the same boat with it sometimes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here, and am happy to see more admits coming in!

This is the worst kind of rejection. D: We should write poetry and songs about this. Forget romance. This is where the pain is.