Which Laptop Size Is the Best?

michigan girl

Which Laptop Size Is the Best?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Laptop Size Is the Best?

• 13.3"
    • 14.1"
    • 15.4"

For the heavily traveler, 13" is a no brainer. They are usually under 4lbs, unlike 14" and 15" laptops which are usually 5-6.5lbs. Keep in mind, with the battery, all of these weights will go up another 1.5lbs or so.

You didn't include netbooks so I'm going to write in 9-10". Mine is so small I don't even need a computer bag to carry it; it fits right in the top or in the front pocket of any bag I choose to carry that day. It does everything I need it to (which is run Word and get on the internet). And no, the keyboard is not difficult to type on. The only thing I miss is the number keypad, and that's missing on any of the options you present.

I second the netbook idea. I just purchased one and it was only $350 and does everything I want it to. It is so portable that it is literally life changing for a busy grad student ESPECIALLY one who commutes.

I voted for 13.3". The 13.3 options are generally more versatile than the smaller laptops in terms of performance and capabilities, but also have the other advantages listed by previous posters. I do not like working on a screen any smaller than 13.3", but obviously, your mileage may vary in that regard.

15.4" is a pretty good size, and my 15" laptop crosses the scales at at 5.5 pounds, but I'll admit that if I'm carrying more than a few books as well, I find myself wishing occasionally I could shave off an extra pound or two during the 20 minute walk to and from my car on campus.

I would also recommend that you consider not only screen size, but specific laptop models. I think that there are two important factors to consider in addition to screen size and performance. The first is the potential screen glare of the particular models that you are considering, and the second is the keyboard. You'll want to choose a laptop that has an acceptable level of screen glare (some screens reflect any amount of light with terrible efficiency and give me headaches -- again, your mileage will probably vary here), and you'll want to choose a laptop that has a keyboard that has the right touch and feel. You will be spending countless hours typing on your future laptop, so you'll want to make sure that the keyboard fits your hands well (most are more or less identical, but sometimes they have subtle differences), that the feel of the keys as you type is as favorable as possible, and also that the sound of the keys is not particularly egregious. These might seem like nit-picky things, but I think that they are worth considering since you are making an investment into what will probably be a very important part of your work. :)

I think it depends completely on what its going to be used for. If I were writing papers I'd want the smallest laptop I could get, but if I'm running a CAD or doing software development I would hate using anything less than 15.4". Since I'll often find myself doing the latter, I voted for 15.4 inch.

I took 14.1" because, for what I use a laptop, I need more power than a netbook, and it helps to have a shit-ton of excel cells visible, but I like it to be a tad bit more portable than a 15.4" notebook, so I go with the 14.1" option.

I'm writing this from a 12.1" screen I've been using exclusively for the last four months. It's my Dad's laptop since I only have a desktop and I wasn't bringing that halfway around the world. He got a small laptop so it would be "more portable." Yes, it's influenced my advice :)

I'm going with a 15.4" screen this fall, perhaps one of those 16" Toshibas. I need way more screen "real estate" than I have now, and my eyes need a break ;)

What's the difference in a pound and a few inches anyway when it comes to carrying it? How many times are you not going to take it with you or be annoyed at taking it with you where that little extra size makes the difference? I look at it this way: get the biggest laptop that is reasonably comfortable to carry to and from the classroom/office. If you need something smaller for portability reasons, you're not going to gain a lot of mobility by dropping a pound plus three inches off the screen size. If a 15.4 incher is too big, a twelver (and certainly a thirteener) is too big too. In that case, get a small, ultra-portable netbook for for ~$300 in addition to your primary laptop or even an iPhone and carry that around with you all the time. Luckily they're so cheap these days it's not necessarily an either-or proposition.

Just my 2c. Same logic applies to concealed-carry handguns BTW :D

I'm going with 15.4" for a couple reasons. I need a powerful laptop to run Matlab and other things, so no netbook. I originally wanted a 14" or smaller for portability, but realized I'll need enough screen space and resolution to fit multiple windows fairly constantly. I definitely don't want to go over 15.4" though, because portability is still nice to have!

• 3 weeks later...

Get the lightest thing you can get, seriously. I use to haul a 14" around campus and it got old fast...and it was a light 14 incher...under 5lbs. If you need more computer power for anything, I'd recommend a desktop in combination with that lightweight laptop.

I didn't even have to take mine to class. If that was mandatory, GOOD GRIEF...get a 10".

Although I did notice women didn't seem to mind baggage as much. The large jock guys would walk around with those nike string bags with maybe one spiral bound book inside. Then you'd see little miss 5 foot nothing with her Northface Megasack, reaching 2 feet out from her back, packed full with the zippers splitting at the tangs, while she's hunched over like a logger carrying everything she'll ever learn in college all at once.

i'd vote for the netbook too.. after weeks of reading reviews, articles, etc. i got an asus 1000he and so far am very happy with it. it weights i think 3.5 lbs, screen is easy to read, keyboard is like 92 percent full sized and its quick. but yeah, i think the netbooks are really ideal only for word and web.. if you are doing crazy engineering CAD stuff on it, its not for you..

the other benefit is that this particular one has a battery life of up to 9.5 hrs...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a new macbook pro 13" mainly for transporting to class in the fall. I'm coming from a massive 17" widescreen Dell laptop that entirely too huge and definitely not as easy to transport. The macbook pro only weighs about 4.5lbs and has a 6-7hour battery, so it doesn't add as much weight as other laptop batteries. It's definitely the best purchase i've made regarding computers. It's fantastic!

i'd vote for the netbook too.. after weeks of reading reviews, articles, etc. i got an asus 1000he and so far am very happy with it. it weights i think 3.5 lbs, screen is easy to read, keyboard is like 92 percent full sized and its quick. but yeah, i think the netbooks are really ideal only for word and web.. if you are doing crazy engineering CAD stuff on it, its not for you..

the other benefit is that this particular one has a battery life of up to 9.5 hrs...

Should've waited a few days and gotten the 1005HA-P. Same battery life but a bit lighter... 2.8 lbs without the power cord and 3.4 lbs with it. I got one and I love it.