2015 MFA Applicants: Share your work and statement!

Xxanderr

Definitely need critiques! Since my undergrad/grad majors were both non-art ... Thanks a lot ! ! 

My portfolio in progress:    http://huili.portfoliobox.me/

I think you would benefit from a post baccalaureate more. Rather than a bachelors program, because you already have an academic background.

To be honest I think you would benefit more from a BFA in Fine arts, instead of a MFA. Your work  is missing a lot of basic understanding of composition, color and the human form--along with other things.

They teach theses fundamental things at the BFA level, not at the professional MFA level. Since you have a lot of schooling done already, you most likely want have to worry about your liberal studies, so you can focus on studio art classes. Try attending National Portfolio Day to receive further feedback. You can even try emailing your portfolio to admission officers, I did it once and got a portfolio review over the phone.

Lastly, why a MFA in art...?

kev

I actually really disagree with this statement. Whether or not you feel like these paintings fit into the scope of contemporary art is one thing, but I don't think there is an obvious lack of formal understanding. 

I actually really disagree with this statement. Whether or not you feel like these paintings fit into the scope of contemporary art is one thing, but I don't think there is an obvious lack of formal understanding. 

I agree w life00 - if you take a look at the 2013 images ( http://huili.portfoliobox.me/2013), there's clear skill/competency/aptitude in painting.  That said, there's such a dramatic shift in style and approach in the more recent work that I see how it could raise these questions.  I think it would be interesting to see how Hui might answer/resolve this question in the new work - is it evident, visually, that this aesthetic approach is intentional and useful in terms of the project you're exploring?

The portfolio review day could definitely be helpful though - I'd show them the full scope of your work, Hui, including the older stuff, to see what kind of readings / feedback you get.

yeah I agree with you all the way. Also there is no point of going back to Baccalaureate if you already have a masters.

The schools I am applying to and current status;

Indiana University - Bloomington - Interview 2/4

Ohio University - 

Northern Illinois University -  Rejected via email 2/19

Miami University (OH) - 

Illinois State University - 

University of Kentucky - 

Here is my website - http://www.cecilybrooke.com 

Feedback is appreciated! 

hey those are nice stadium paintings. Who are your favorite artists?

I look at Doig, Bacon, and Guston the most but I'm not sure I paint like any of them. Angela Dufrense and Spencer Finch have been maybe the most influential.

Hi all,

I've posted documentation from my newest performance on my site. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.ruthkburke.com/far.html

Hello thepictureisstill, I really enjoy that everything is natural..meaning you're not recreating it, you are using the true essence and in an ordinary way. Yet, the perspective of the still and your (I'm assuming) intentional placement of the viewer's attention make it unique, I think the choices in leaving the feet bare and the rest of the body in black gives us a better focus on the natural aspect and the connectivity between body, mineral, soil and eventually water. The colors play well together, nothing is competing with the focus of the iron oxide, and the iron oxide isn't stealing away the whole show/performance. It's nice and subtle, and to me, I interpret this piece about a cycling process, not necessarily the life cycle. It has aspects of a theme (to me) of things fleeting, or dwindling and then of reemergence due to how easily this can be or has been replicated just by its own natural tendencies. 

I look at Doig, Bacon, and Guston the most but I'm not sure I paint like any of them. Angela Dufrense and Spencer Finch have been maybe the most influential.

I can see the bacon and guston influence. Not too familiar  with Doig but ive seen some of  his work. Angela Dufrense and Spencer finch are new on my radar. 

I'd love any feedback/comments on my work as well, link below.

Tdevo412- I love the photography of the jello molds, reminds me of the fifties era.

Madison, you have a very good handle on colors and have a good level of basic skill. Your drawing skills are good , and you obviously have a grasp on composition.

My main constructive criticism from waht I see here is that you don't seem to have dedicated yourself to an idea. You are sort of dabbling in landscapes and portraits,but they all have distinct feels to them, instead of feeling cohesive. I am an undergraduate senior currently, and this is an issue I see with some  of my  fellow undergraduate students. They have trouble finding their 'concept' even though they have strong skills and a way that they handle their material. I suggest really searching for what you want to do and what you want to explore in your work. What is it about the art that draws you in? Is it the colors? The angles? Capturing an emotion?

Once you discover what's really the most important thing for you to say you will learn ways to say that more in depth, and I think you will see an explosion in your work's development. Remember, focus isn't being narrow. If you really limit your focus you have a lot more to explore than you will ever realize! You can say one thing more deeply because you'll be dedicated to that idea.

I hope you don't mind the criticism. Some people don't like constructive criticism at all (I have friends who want to knock my head off if I even mention something not positive). But since you asked, I wanted to be honest...and I think it's an important idea for any artist to learn.

The schools I am applying to and current status;

Indiana University - Bloomington - Interview 2/4

Ohio University - 

Northern Illinois University -  Rejected via email 2/19

Miami University (OH) - 

Illinois State University - 

University of Kentucky - 

Here is my website - http://www.cecilybrooke.com 

Feedback is appreciated! 

Hello, Cecily brooke,

I am drawn to your recent more watercolor looking pieces out of what I see from here. The compositions are more daring and interesting to me. There is a real depth and variation in the colors. It's impressive to me the progress that has been made when looking over your portfolio. There is a sophisticated handling of the medium that shows off how skilled you are with it. They are exciting and fresh, especially the first four. The other two feel like more of a beginning to me.

I say good job and continue to explore those pieces, but don't be afraid to take elements from what you learned previously and tie those in if you feel like it will contribute to your idea.

Madison, you have a very good handle on colors and have a good level of basic skill. Your drawing skills are good , and you obviously have a grasp on composition.

My main constructive criticism from waht I see here is that you don't seem to have dedicated yourself to an idea. You are sort of dabbling in landscapes and portraits,but they all have distinct feels to them, instead of feeling cohesive. I am an undergraduate senior currently, and this is an issue I see with some  of my  fellow undergraduate students. They have trouble finding their 'concept' even though they have strong skills and a way that they handle their material. I suggest really searching for what you want to do and what you want to explore in your work. What is it about the art that draws you in? Is it the colors? The angles? Capturing an emotion?

Once you discover what's really the most important thing for you to say you will learn ways to say that more in depth, and I think you will see an explosion in your work's development. Remember, focus isn't being narrow. If you really limit your focus you have a lot more to explore than you will ever realize! You can say one thing more deeply because you'll be dedicated to that idea.

I hope you don't mind the criticism. Some people don't like constructive criticism at all (I have friends who want to knock my head off if I even mention something not positive). But since you asked, I wanted to be honest...and I think it's an important idea for any artist to learn.

Thank you. I actually do have a twelve piece concentration surrounding music, but only three of these pieces are currently posted to my portfolio (the violin, cello, and flute piece.) I hope to add more in the future to this online portfolio, but just haven't quite had the chance yet! Thank you for your comments though, I greatly appreciate them!

I added four more pieces from my music concentration (the trumpet, guitar, headphones, and singing works). Hopefully they can be identified as a more cohesive exploration. I use all spray paint backgrounds for these pieces with music, words, or patterns hidden behind the spray paint. I'd truly appreciate your opinion on them if you think this will be enough as an exploration. As a concentration it got a five in AP Studio Art, but that was a while back. As I understand, most MFA proframs require 10-12 artworks with their application? I'm hoping those seven pieces surrounding music and the focus on musician relationships with instruments will suffice as an exploration? I'm afraid I'm not an undergraduate student in art, but I am still hoping to pursue it as an MFA in spite of my English BA degree... so any insider information is very helpful to me!

I added four more pieces from my music concentration (the trumpet, guitar, headphones, and singing works). Hopefully they can be identified as a more cohesive exploration. I use all spray paint backgrounds for these pieces with music, words, or patterns hidden behind the spray paint. I'd truly appreciate your opinion on them if you think this will be enough as an exploration. As a concentration it got a five in AP Studio Art, but that was a while back. As I understand, most MFA proframs require 10-12 artworks with their application? I'm hoping those seven pieces surrounding music and the focus on musician relationships with instruments will suffice as an exploration? I'm afraid I'm not an undergraduate student in art, but I am still hoping to pursue it as an MFA in spite of my English BA degree... so any insider information is very helpful to me!

I sent you a message but I sent it before I had read this. I also hadn't read about the details in your work. I wasn't sure how far you were into it or if it was just a 'new idea' that had only just occured to you. If you are 7 pieces in then that's pretty far into it I would say.

I think you're going to at least need 13 more . Most programs I applied to required 12-20 pieces. I think also by your 20th one you'd find yourself in a more firm place with them (trust me the further you are into it the better it will be).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all!! Been seeing some great work!

I've got a tumblr for now.. Hoping to have my official website up before application season next year :)

Anyone else who works on large substrates finding it hard to get enough work together?! Seriously, 20 pieces sounds like a lot and it usually takes me 1-2 months for each piece.. Haha