"major" conferences?

Hi all,

Quick question. I have been given this advice over and over again: conferences aren't nearly as important on a CV as publications, and really only "major" conferences count for anything at all. But which are the "major" conferences?

MLA, obviously. But what about SAMLA, RMMLA, etc? Are these still "major" or "just" "regional"?

I suppose the "big" one in a particular field carries more weight--for example ASLE for ecocritics.

Any thoughts? Which would you consider the "big ones?"

I've heard quite a few times that these large, regional conferences are not going to come off as important mostly because they can be large and impersonal. I say this having presented at the last RMMLA and will be attending SAMLA this weekend.

But, yes, it's often better to focus on conferences specific to your field ("Kalamazoo" for Medievalists, for example).

Field specific, MLA, even relevant symposium. Conferences supplement publications on the c.v. (we can't all publish an article a year, can we?) but what you present will ideally lead to a published article. Hence going to extremely broad conferences usually won't provide you with the particular feedback needed to develop the conference paper further.

There are many reasons to attend conferences. I've presented at small, frankly shitty, conferences because friends from my alma mater would also be presenting there; it was a super fun mini-reunion. I have presented at regional conferences to practice my presenting skills. I have presented at unknown but very applicable to my interests conferences to brainstorm ideas with other nerds who care deeply about my interests. I've applied to and been accepted at conferences that are taking place in cities I want to visit. I've presented at conferences because they are nearby and easy to get to. I've presented at major national conferences because they've given me an opportunity to network with the experts in my field and add a sexy spot to my CV. I've presented at smaller national conferences that speak to my interests and provide a community of scholarly support and a well-regarded line on my CV.

tl;dr version: there are a ton of legit reasons to present at a conference, and the appropriateness of the conference will depend on your reason! 

I like those mid-size conferences where you get a respectable CV line, and, more importantly, get a change to network with people in your field. It's also worth noting that many people use conference presentations to prepare work they plan to publish.

FWIW, and I'm a lowly first year MA, I'm applying to EVERYTHING I can possibly attend. I've got work I can present, or can develop some half-done ideas, and it's best to see where I can get in/get funding.

Also, as an aside, I've met a handful of people on this board through some mid-size national conferenes.

The regional MLAs are not that important, but it is better to have regional conferences than no conferences at all. And they do serve a practical function of allowing you to practice your paper-giving skills. But you should not spend a lot of money going to them.

As an undergrad or MA student, conferences are not important at all to have on your CV.

Meeeeeeeeee! Did you submit a proposal to Computers and Writing? Or do you plan to since the deadline was extended?

I did, but I'll likely be skipping this year since we are hosting HASTAC here the same week and I'm hoping to present for that too. I put in for RNF at CCCCs, and am hoping to get to Tampa.

I think the Watson Conference at Louisville is pretty good - if you're into that sorta thing. 

C&W is pretty good - if you're into that sort of thing.

Cs is good - period.

I want to give a caveat - but I'd end up going on and on about "it".

Bowties! Long time, no chat. DM me sometime so we can catch up.

Is it inappropriate if you get accepted to a conference, but decide to decline it because of travel and/or funding issues or for another offer that is more appealing? 

Is it inappropriate if you get accepted to a conference, but decide to decline it because of travel and/or funding issues or for another offer that is more appealing?

Not at all. Just do so with plenty of notice! And perhaps do not disclose the actual reason if you decline for a more appealing offer. ;)

I'm going to point out another advantage of smaller, regional conferences in your field - you get more opportunities to "shine" and talk to people one-on-one. It's good to give people as many opportunities to see you as possible because, when you go on the market, you never know who will be on the search committee.

As an added bonus, local, regional conferences are usually more affordable and less time-consuming. If you can swing it, it's worth it.