Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Even weirder than declining... I just withdrew my application from Florida. I assume since I hadn't heard anything it was a rejection anyway... but I didn't want to be holding a spot on a wait-list or something.

Just wait until the official NYU rejections come out!

holy moly, IQ84! You were right! 

Also, I found out yesterday that I'm in at U of Alberta Comp Lit! I interviewed a week ago and was on the edge of my seat! Super excited—I love their program! After 2.5 rounds of applications, it feels so good... 

holy moly, IQ84! You were right! 

Also, I found out yesterday that I'm in at U of Alberta Comp Lit! I interviewed a week ago and was on the edge of my seat! Super excited—I love their program! After 2.5 rounds of applications, it feels so good... 

Not sure what it is about that place that always inspires those responses... it's amusing! (I say this being one of the NYU rejectees, by the way.)

AND CONGRATS! I remember you being very nervous for the interview and that it was one of your top choices. A great way to start (or end) your Friday :)

Edited by 1Q84

Even weirder than declining... I just withdrew my application from Florida. I assume since I hadn't heard anything it was a rejection anyway... but I didn't want to be holding a spot on a wait-list or something.

I'm not even confident that Florida even got my application. Apart from the auto-you-paid-money email, I've heard...nothing. I emailed the graduate coordinator. 

Still nothing. 

Did anyone respond to you withdrawing your application? 

Congratulations to all that have received acceptance e-mails/phone calls. Exciting times!

I'm a Canadian that is still waiting on UBC... did any of you that applied receive an acceptance or waitlist e-mail? There is only one acceptance for PhD up on the results search so I don't want to assume I'm rejected quite yet. Thank you!

I haven't heard anything from Florida yet, but I don't think anyone has. (you do mean U of Florida, right?)

Accepted to Kentucky MA :) I think this is the fourth school in a row I applied to the PhD, and got accepted instead to the MA. But still very grateful for all the opportunities that have come so far...Hope everyone else is experiencing some joy and success throughout this whole crazy process! :)

Accepted to Kentucky MA :) I think this is the fourth school in a row I applied to the PhD, and got accepted instead to the MA. But still very grateful for all the opportunities that have come so far...Hope everyone else is experiencing some joy and success throughout this whole crazy process! :)

Congrats, yet again! And, hey! you got an interview with ND, so...though not direct-to-PhD track ok most of these, that's got to boodt your ego! ;-) I do not think, in the slightest, this is a negative thing at all!

Thank you Angela_Kaye13! I realize I am fortunate to get the opportunities I have had so far and by no means am I wallowing in despair about any of the offers. But thanks for the encouragement and kind words. :)

I got my MA at KU and went to undergrad at U.SC. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have them. :) 

Congrats to all the recent admits! I've been traveling the past couple days, but it's great to come back to do much good news!

Uhhh ditto what Staggerlee said. I emailed them yesterday and apparently I'm "very high on the waitlist" whatever that means. They also asked for a list of schools I've been accepted to, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

Also, I just got accepted to the University of Oregon's PhD program. Tempting, since one of my best friends lives in Eugene, but I doubt I'll accept.

I think Chapel Hill asking is a very good thing, especially since you have so many great offers! my fingers are crossed for Chapel Hill for you (having just come back from visiting MSU without funding info, I am in a very similar, very stressful situation).

Re: Oregon, outside of the huge, well-deserved congratulations on Oregon especially because I've done so much looking into the program. Did you already formally turn them down? I had some incredibly positive exchanges with the DGS before applying, so that rejection is going to sting more than most. I'm very much hoping I'm on an informal waitlist of sorts, so I pretty much worship anyone acceptees turning them down early. ;)

A similar awe if morris for withdrawing an app! The Florida applicants thank you, especially given decisions haven't gone out!

Speaking of declining offers, could anyone share how they phrase an email to decline? I was very much hoping I had heard about funding from MSU at this point and could decline all other offers, but even if they can't fund me there I will have at least a couple declinations to make (a good situation for sure, but one that will take a little longer given that my current acceptances are all about on par with each other).

Thank you Angela_Kaye13! I realize I am fortunate to get the opportunities I have had so far and by no means am I wallowing in despair about any of the offers. But thanks for the encouragement and kind words. :)

^^ Anytime. I just get SO excited for all these great opportunities I hear coming everyone's respective ways. I hope I didn't sound like I was chastising you. I just did think maybe you were a little saddened.^^

Also! Forgive my egregious typos! Dear LORD, smart-phone!! Catch some mistakes!!! {embarrassed face}

Congrats to all the recent admits! I've been traveling the past couple days, but it's great to come back to do much good news!

I think Chapel Hill asking is a very good thing, especially since you have so many great offers! my fingers are crossed for Chapel Hill for you (having just come back from visiting MSU without funding info, I am in a very similar, very stressful situation).

Re: Oregon, outside of the huge, well-deserved congratulations on Oregon especially because I've done so much looking into the program. Did you already formally turn them down? I had some incredibly positive exchanges with the DGS before applying, so that rejection is going to sting more than most. I'm very much hoping I'm on an informal waitlist of sorts, so I pretty much worship anyone acceptees turning them down early. ;)

Thanks for the kind words! I actually turned Oregon down today. The program sounds great, though, and I think there's still hope. I'm also not sure she's finished notifying students. I will be hoping so hard for you to get in! I'm 19th C American, lots of Asian American stuff and place and space studies, so I think they might be accepting another. Also, allplaideverything got accepted to Oregon and might know more than I do. 

Edited by CarolineKS

Thanks, Caroline! Allplaid was kind enough to provide some more intel as well. ;)

BTW, you are awesome for turning down these offers so quickly! It's too bad I'm 20/21 c American lit/pop culture, but I'm sure you're helping someone a lot! :)

Congrats Kingfishers! Oregon has such a good program.

I withdrew the Florida app because I decided I really wanna do grad work close to friends and family. Right now its all about my options in the northeast. Basically, didn't wanna tie up an offer or a wait list spot unnecessarily. 

Edited by morristr

Congratulations, kingfishers! I would be seriously considering if admitted, but it looks like Oregon is officially going into the implied rejection column for me. You have some great options to weigh, though! Congrats!

And thanks for withdrawing, morris! We're not in the sane area, but the early Americanists I'm sure are all pleased to hear there's one less talented applicant in the pool!