For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

Perhaps I'm just getting excited, but I've submitted all of my applications and need something equally stressful to fill that void. I've started to think about interviews and although I have gotten some advice about what they are generally like, a few things remain foggy and abstract. If you've attended an interview (bonus points if it was at one of the schools in my sig, regardless of program), could you help me out with any of these?

• As most of these interviews span 2-4 days -- with only one day devoted to actual interviewing -- what do lady interviewees normally wear on the days spent hanging out with current grads/getting tours/etc?
  • Actually, what do they wear during the interviews? I am fashion-clueless. I don't know what business casual means. Where can I shop?
  • Related to the two above questions: as all interviews are held between January and March; what about winter weather?
  • Who picks you up from the airport?
  • When lodging is provided by the program, do I get my own room? Or will I be showering one closed bathroom door away from a total stranger?
  • I get migraines with aura (stress-triggered) and sometimes they cause me to lose consciousness/vomit/choose incorrect words (eg, one time in high school chemistry, I was called on and said oxygen was elephant-negative -- I meant electronegative -- I was ashamed). Do I need to inform programs of this? I don't want to be seen as a problematic applicant. 
  • I am quiet and I am scared of being judged for it. I realize that this isn't a question, but if you have anything you would like to say about it, please do.

I posted this in Biology specifically because different fields have different standards.

I'm sure I have other questions (and certainly will if I happen to hear back from any of my programs), but those listed above are what I could think of right now. Thanks!

Edited by pasteltomato

Answering based on my experiences last year.

• As most of these interviews span 2-4 days -- with only one day devoted to actual interviewing -- what do lady interviewees normally wear on the days spent hanging out with current grads/getting tours/etc?
For the interview I saw people dressed anywhere from business casual to people dressed in suits. For the days after the interview it's going to depend a little bit on what the university has planned, but still wear your nicer clothing. One of the programs showed us around town the Saturday after interviewing and wearing a suit would have been way too much.

• Actually, what do they wear during the interviews? I am fashion-clueless. I don't know what business casual means. Where can I shop?

This is an area where I'm far less knowledgeable. Probably a nice blouse and skirt or nice pants. There's gotta be some guides out there for what women wear. Otherwise, something I've heard is to wear clothing appropriate for going to church, but I don't know how helpful that is to you personally.

• Related to the two above questions: as all interviews are held between January and March; what about winter weather?

Well, it can cause some minor issues with flights, but cities in areas with cold winters have the infrastructure to adapt. I interviewed in Vermont and Minnesota in January and there were no issues. Just bring a warm coat.

I called a taxi. The university reimbursed me. They also reimbursed a couple of my meals.

• When lodging is provided by the program, do I get my own room? Or will I be showering one closed bathroom door away from a total stranger?

I shared a room. But I promise you, she's going to want her privacy in the shower just as much as you will.

• I get migraines with aura (stress-triggered) and sometimes they cause me to lose consciousness/vomit/choose incorrect words (eg, one time in high school chemistry, I was called on and said oxygen was elephant-negative -- I meant electronegative -- I was ashamed). Do I need to inform programs of this? I don't want to be seen as a problematic applicant. 

Give the admin assistant a head's up. They're extremely helpful and pleasant people and should be able to help if anything happens. Something like "elephant-negative" honestly isn't a major concern. But, if you were to lose consciousness they'd want to be able to act appropriately.

• I am quiet and I am scared of being judged for it. I realize that this isn't a question, but if you have anything you would like to say about it, please do.

I'm pretty sure the professors have interviewed quiet people in the past and I doubt it's an uncommon trait. The interviews I had were all one on one, so that might help. I also found the most successful ones were where we started to have a conversation, even if it wasn't strictly about my scientific abilities. Edited by Vene

I can't speak to the female-specific fashion questions because I'm a male and pretty fashion clueless myself. In general, interviews you don't wear a suit, but you wear something nice. I'm sure you'll get better advice from the women on this board than from me.

-Either a grad student will pick you up, or a shuttle will pick you up, or they'll ask you to get a taxi and reimburse you.

-I had 8 or 9 interviews and I was always put up in a hotel with another person. It's weird the first time, but literally every single one of my roommates was an extremely nice and generous person. Don't worry about your roommate, they'll be great, they're just like you.

-I wouldn't mention it unless it happens during an interview. Just say you get migraines and it makes you say funny things IF you say something funny. They won't hold that against you.

-A lot of people I met on the interviews were quiet. There's nothing wrong with that.

Vene, I'm going to steal your format cause it's wicked.

pasteltomato, on 18 Nov 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:snapback.png

Mostly jeans/sweaters/simple and clean shirt, flats or boots. Nothing fancy. Of course this may vary with location, some Ivys or other elite institutions may be more dressy? Hopefully someone can chime in on this.

For ladies I saw slacks, blouse, blazers for the most part. Some wore knee-length skirts/dresses in the warmer locations, combined with leggings+boots in the cold ones.

Like Vene said, travel can be affected but otherwise it's fine. I was also in Minnesota and Iowa so while it was DAMN COLD, bring a heavy coat and you'll be a-OK.

Either a student or a prearranged shuttle. One place made me get a taxi and reimbursed me months later, but they were cheap in other ways too, so there ya go.

Roommate, although Iowa didn't have one! Mine were all fine; we might not have been BFFs but they were respectful.

Maybe just a medical heads-up? I doubt they'd hold it against you.

Well, scientists aren't known for being the most outgoing people, so you won't be alone. I saw variations based on school; i.e. Miami had a lot of bros (no surprise...), while Iowa and MN were more "aw shucks" humble people.

I'm in the same boat as you, so I can't really comment on the interview experience, but I also have migraines with aura (mostly extreme vertigo, but once I lost a large portion of my vision while I was alone on a bus). Thankfully mine are mostly hormone related, and being on the pill has helped reduce their frequency. If there is a risk of you losing consciousness, then I think it's more of a safety issue and you should definitely inform the people scheduling the interview just in case you're unable to communicate later what's going on (or have an emergency contact person who would know what is happening). I'm obviously not an MD, but are you on any medication for it? I take sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine starting. If you take something similar maybe taking a dose the morning of the interview date might help. They're not really preventative, but if you're already stressed the migraine may be starting then anyways. Again I would definitely talk about this with a doctor just so you have a plan.

For my interview day (lady), I wore a suit (pants, blouse, blazer, reasonable heels).  For the days when we were out and about I wore nice pants (dressy or casual but not jeans) and a sweater or another blouse.  Again sensible and low heels or flats.  For anything in the "evening" that wasn't attended by faculty or if it was a day social activity just with grad students I wore nice jeans, sweater/blouse, and boots.  I always had one much more dressy outfit and then 2 that were semi-dressy that can go either way (business casual) and then some truly casual for travel days or grad student only events.

I felt it is always safe to be more over dressed than under dressed.  Business casual ranges from anything but jeans for pants/skirt (not anything too high) and then tops include: blouses, nice sweaters, oxford "button down" shirts, etc.  Business casual for shoes is not tennis shoes, but anything that is reasonable...short heels or flats, dressier boots.  I made it so that all my outfits would go with a black, blue or tan shoes.  Everything was neutral except for one item.  I didn't do anything flashy, just standard like what you would expect for a job interview.  Even though grad students and faculty will be wearing jeans, it does not mean you should wear them.

Winter weather happens, just make sure to bring items like hats and mittens for the colder places.  It could be snowing and you may be outside for a quick tour (although places are usually aware that its not fun to walk outside in the cold).  Also a lot of times you walked to different parts of campus for each interview so bring shoes that are comfortable to walk in but durable in the cold.  One of my interviews was in a very cold and snowy place and I ended up bringing some boots to swap into for the trek across campus and then quick slipped on my heels before my interview.  My buddy who was walking me around not only totally understood (even though he was a guy, but also was impressed I had planned ahead).

Airport can range from taking a cab where you will get reimbursed.  The university organizing a pickup or shuttle from the airport OR having a grad student retrieve you.  Each will make it clear the best way to do this and what information you will need to get there.

Some places gave me my own room, others I shared.  It can be a positive to have someone around so look at is as a positive, who knows they could be your classmate so they may not be a stranger for long!  Everyone has to manage this and its not as big of a deal as it feels like.  Obviously girls will be roomed with other girls and such for the boys.  I would say 50% of the time I got my own room and 50% of the time I shared.  Not a huge deal really.

If something like that happens where you say something incorrect, apologize and explain you are nervous.  I wouldn't get into your stresses causing you issues because...well grad school is one big stressful moment.  So you have to learn how to manage it or at least figure out ways to cope with it.  Don't show them you are going to have difficulty being normal and a good student in stress.

I am not quiet or very shy but I do understand that people feel that way.  Most of the people I interviewed with were quieter, there were always a handful that were bold.  Sometimes I think people end up talking to me because I will talk to anyone, so maybe find someone that you feel comfortable with and get chatting with them.  A llot of times they can make it easier for you to talk in small groups.  I would encourage you to try to move past your shyness since I've been told by socially awkward grad students that they appreciate someone who talks since its a lot less awkward for them.  Try to push yourself a bit out of your comfort zone if you can.  Faculty don't expect you to be super boisterous but maybe try to loosen up with one or two students or some of your fellow interviewers.  A lot of times the social students are the ones that grad students like, and they get a say in the matter too.  So try to make the effort and if the grad students suggest going out to dinner or grabbing a drink, go with them.  This is an easy way to get brownie points than the people who decide to go back to a hotel.  The only exception being if you are studying for an exam and you are currently still an UG. 

Best of luck, please feel free to PM me any additional questions you may have.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice -- sorry my reply is a bit delayed.

One other question that occurred to me: When schools begin sending interview invites, how soon are you expected to respond? What if two schools have interviews the same weekend and I were to accept my safety's invite first (because it arrived first)?

I looked at all of the schools that I applied to and it seems that in past years, invitations have been made between Dec 12-30. If I'm allowed a week to respond, then I could likely circumvent double-booking issues -- but I don't even know if I'm allowed a week to reply.

I had that same problem and I would just send them an email saying something along the lines of, "Is there a deadline for accepting your interview offer?" I think it's very smart to wait as long as you can, rather than accept and then change your mind later. It's just courtesy really, no one's going to hold it against you if you cancel before they make travel plans.

One other question that occurred to me: When schools begin sending interview invites, how soon are you expected to respond? What if two schools have interviews the same weekend and I were to accept my safety's invite first (because it arrived first)?

I looked at all of the schools that I applied to and it seems that in past years, invitations have been made between Dec 12-30. If I'm allowed a week to respond, then I could likely circumvent double-booking issues -- but I don't even know if I'm allowed a week to reply.

Generally you have to accept the interview within a few days.  There will deifnitely be scheduling conflicts, but all of my schools were very accommodating and most had 2 or three weekends from which to choose.

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to cancel an interview if there's a conflict, although I'd first inquire about rescheduling. It might not make the school too terribly thrilled, but such is life.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend seeing which programs have their interview dates posted/looking at the interview dates your programs offered last year and figuring out the interview schedule that contains the fewest conflicts. That way, you can commit right away to those interviews that you know won't conflict and stall if you are waiting to hear from programs that do conflict. Also, if an invitation to interview says something along the lines of "You are invited to interview on this day in this month," do not assume that this is the only interview weekend available. This was said to me a couple of times last season, and, if I had not already known about other interview weekends offered by the programs, I would not have been able to attend all of the interviews that I did. If you have a conflict or potential conflict, you should always ask if there is a second or alternative interview weekend available.

They want you to respond ASAP for obvious reasons (they need to put together flights and accommodations for you) however most will tell you the absolute last day that you can give them a yes or no.  A lot of schools advertise when they have their invite/recruiting weekends so you will know if there are any potential conflicts.  I had certain schools that were more interested in than others, so those ones would get the Yes and the others I would schedule a second date.  Some schools give you only one weekend and if you have a conflict then you can ask for a second one, others will tell you that you can choose between weekends (it depends on the size of the program).  You will want to be at the first/primary visit for your top ranked schools.

If you are holding out hope for a specific school and the deadline to notify another school of your decision to interview is nearing, I would reach out to that program and ask when invites will be sent out or when potential visits will occur.  They also understand that you have more than just one school.... 

DO NOT MAKE a reservation to interview with the idea that you can just cancel.  A school in this scenario will sometimes put a "cancellation policy" that if you opt to not come after saying yes, you will be charged for the flight etc.  Also it means they may lose a potential applicant's ability to interview since you took a spot.  This is considered poor form to cancel on one school for another, just as it would be to cancel a date with someone since someone hotter came along. 

Before committing to an interview I would suggest figuring out which schools are the more important schools you want to make sure you can make.  Then do research online to see if they post 1.  when they notify for interviews and/or 2. when the typical recruitment weekend is.  If you have an offer come in from a school and they are below a school on your interest list and you have no idea when your more desired school is doing the visit, then it is acceptable to reach out to an admin or dgs to see when the interview weekend is and possibly ask if invites have already been sent out.  This would go along the lines of "Dear so and so, I am still quite interested in your program and have received offers to interview at another school.  However, prior to committing to an interview at another program I wanted to make sure I may still be available in the event that your program extends an invitation for me.  Could you let me know when you hope to hold your recruiting weekend, and if you have an idea of when these invites will be sent out?"  Something like that.  Again I'd only send this if you are nearing the deadline for another school and you have a hopeful one that you would prioritize over others.  Many schools are willing to work with you if you have committed to another school.  So...don't be worried if you say yes, just explain the situation and see what can be done.  It is always best to interview during the official recruitment weekend, but it is not 100% needed and it doesn't mean you will have less of a chance of getting in.

As you go through your interview and application season remember to be tactful and polite to those organizing this and remember your fellow applicants who may really want an invite somewhere too.  Try to be aware that others are also vying for a spot so don't sit on something you aren't serious about.  I will also say for accepting I tried to accept within a week of completing all my interviews.  I knew there would be those on wait lists and the sooner I said "no" the sooner they could make an offer to someone else.  So try to be kind to all of the other applicants and programs as you go through this exciting but nerve-wracking process!

I'd say 4-5 hours would be a flight.  I think within two hours they would expect you to drive.  I think once you get above that you could discuss the option of flying or driving whichever you prefer.  I know some people who drove 4-5 hours for an interview, but I believe they had the option to fly.  For some coming from a place that doesn't have a major airport but isn't that far it would make sense to drive since the process of a connecting flight may take longer. 

I'd say 4-5 hours would be a flight.  I think within two hours they would expect you to drive.  I think once you get above that you could discuss the option of flying or driving whichever you prefer.  I know some people who drove 4-5 hours for an interview, but I believe they had the option to fly.  For some coming from a place that doesn't have a major airport but isn't that far it would make sense to drive since the process of a connecting flight may take longer. 

I know I'm getting into the knitty gritty now, but if I choose to drive have you heard of programs providing rental cars?

I know I'm getting into the knitty gritty now, but if I choose to drive have you heard of programs providing rental cars?

They will generally reimburse up to a dollar level for travel related expenses, which would include your car rental bill.

They will generally reimburse up to a dollar level for travel related expenses, which would include your car rental bill.

That's a bit of relief. I wouldn't be flying in or out of a major airport so it doesn't make much since for me to fly anywhere. I'm leasing my car and would rather not drive it unless I have to. 

I haven't heard anything about a rental car, but they typically reimburse you the government per mile reimbursement or simply gas.  If you get a rental car you may end up spending more than if you were to fly if you are going to be gone for a few days and putting a couple hundred miles of driving in.  Again as mentioned above, there is a reasonable limit they will reimburse.  Even for flights I have heard that they in some cases (even big, well known schools) will not pay more than X dollars for your flight. 

Just a reminder that it isn't all free, in some cases if you end up incurring more charges than they see reasonable they will only reimburse you to a point. 

If you get interviews at all those places are you going to drive to all of them?  If that is the case you may want to see if you can use your car.  Usually interviews are Thursday-Saturday/Sunday.

I haven't heard anything about a rental car, but they typically reimburse you the government per mile reimbursement or simply gas.  If you get a rental car you may end up spending more than if you were to fly if you are going to be gone for a few days and putting a couple hundred miles of driving in.  Again as mentioned above, there is a reasonable limit they will reimburse.  Even for flights I have heard that they in some cases (even big, well known schools) will not pay more than X dollars for your flight.

Anecdotally, after making flight arrangements with the travel agent the university provided the program put a hold on that plan as they weren't too thrilled by the cost. It actually ended up being approved though because it was the only flight. I was also way too far away for any other method of travel to be reasonable.

So I basically asked this same question earlier but now it's real and I need some advice: just got an interview invite (today) for Iowa, January 29-31.

My top choice school has sent out invites around December 18/19 the past few years but also has interviews around the same time. Can I wait to respond to Iowa?

I'm really excited about getting an invite and I really want to respond, but I don't want to inconvenience them by potentially having to cancel or reschedule. 

I'd like to add in a question of my own, if you don't mind. 

I received my first interview invitation, and it's a Thursday-Sunday, and I know some do Friday-Sunday. I've seen some people say that they can be Saturday or Sunday to Wednesday as well. 

Does anyone have a sense of which of these is the most common? Or how common they are relative to each other? Do schools every change from year to year (i.e. if they did a Thurs-Sun last year, is it a safe bet that they won't switch to a Sun-Wed this year?).

Thank you!

I'd like to add in a question of my own, if you don't mind. 

I received my first interview invitation, and it's a Thursday-Sunday, and I know some do Friday-Sunday. I've seen some people say that they can be Saturday or Sunday to Wednesday as well. 

Does anyone have a sense of which of these is the most common? Or how common they are relative to each other? Do schools every change from year to year (i.e. if they did a Thurs-Sun last year, is it a safe bet that they won't switch to a Sun-Wed this year?).

Thank you!

Oh, I never meant this topic to be "pastel's questions only"  :P . I thought it would be more beneficial for everybody if we had a topic focused on interviews, especially because we're surrounded by the wisdom and expertise of several members who interviewed last year. 

As to your question, I can't see the advantage of a program purposefully alternating between Thurs-Sun and Sun-Wed. I imagine it's just whatever works best for the committee (price of flights/availability of hotel rooms/etc considerations).

Edited by pasteltomato

Oh, I never meant this topic to be "pastel's questions only"  :P . I thought it would be more beneficial for everybody if we had a topic focused on interviews, especially because we're surrounded by the wisdom and expertise of several members who interviewed last year. 

Definitely, I'm so grateful you made this thread! It has already answered a bunch of my questions. I just feel weird posting because I'm so new here, hah. 

And thanks! (for the insight on the interview days question)

Edited by ghostoverground