For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

@pastel- instead of asking about stats, try asking some of the grad students about people making it through the program. Are students dropping out for personal reasons or departmental reasons? I found most people are very candid about discussing this. We've had a few leave grad school simply because it wasn't for them, but this invariably makes the stats look worse.

Thank you! I knew asking about stats would either be awkward or reflect shallowly on me, but asking about personal/departmental reasons for dropping out seems like a good way to get the answers I'm looking for.

I'm going to chime in only since I have a friend that gave me some advice when she applied.  (she is now a postdoc).  She got an interview to a top 20 school and she had a friend affiliated with the program.  She found out later she BARELY got an interview, but apparently knocked their socks off in the interview and was one of their top candidates.  I will say that there are already the rankings or the people they want right off the bat, but once you are in an interview you can either make or break your case.  the interview is about seeing if what you are on paper is what you are in person.  Then additionally if you are really awkward, inappropriate, or a bit off hinged.  If you have a bad personality no matter your stats you'll be out.  So yes most people go to the interview and stay where they are, but I bet maybe 25-30% could easily move.  Schools will have their favorites coming in but that doesn't mean you are sentenced to last if that is where you started.  everyone goes back to equal playing field once you get to the interview.  

Our program ranks students before hand (roughly), but in general these don't come into play for admissions decisions.

Also, once the formal interviews are done with the professors you can honestly breathe a sigh of relief. At that point it is still possible for you to do something that blacklists you, but it's going to be hard as you'll have to act very inappropriately. Remember, it's okay to drink, it's not okay to get shitfaced.

I just wanted to add that it is very possible for current students to have a huge say in the admissions process. Someone nails their faculty interviews but displays huge red flags during social events or talking with other students? Students will note this and it'll be relayed to admissions. Conversely, someone slightly flops their faculty interviews but can clearly talk about their research to current students, be a fun person, and generally impress everyone? Student support could push that person over.

In general though I'd say it is far more likely for scenario two to happen than for scenario one. We all realize that interviews can be stressful so if that stress manifests during the weekend, everyone understands.

Should I expect to be asked about which other programs I am interviewing at? My applications were somewhat diverse, and I'm concerned that discussing the fact that I'm applying for programs in, for example, biophysics as well as psychology might make people question my focus, even though there is a common research thread underlying...

Should I expect to be asked about which other programs I am interviewing at? My applications were somewhat diverse, and I'm concerned that discussing the fact that I'm applying for programs in, for example, biophysics as well as psychology might make people question my focus, even though there is a common research thread underlying...

Is it just the program titles that are diverse, or are the actual programs diverse in content?

If you're interviewing with biophysicists at Berkeley who are working on neuro-oriented topics, I don't think it should cause any problems to say that you're interviewing at neuro programs elsewhere. You may seem to them to be an applicant who looked specifically at the research being done within each program you applied to -- quite the opposite of giving the impression of being misguided.

Is the Stanford psychology program neuro-oriented? I can't envision it being heavy on biophysics, but I don't know anything about the program.

"When in doubt, leave it out". You could tell Stanford about everyone except Berkeley, and you could tell Berkeley about everyone except Stanford. Then you could avoid the biophysics-psychology "clash". Or, if you feel like you're given sufficient time to explain the "common research thread underlying", I think you should do that instead of omitting.

Is it just the program titles that are diverse, or are the actual programs diverse in content?

If you're interviewing with biophysicists at Berkeley who are working on neuro-oriented topics, I don't think it should cause any problems to say that you're interviewing at neuro programs elsewhere. You may seem to them to be an applicant who looked specifically at the research being done within each program you applied to -- quite the opposite of giving the impression of being misguided.

Is the Stanford psychology program neuro-oriented? I can't envision it being heavy on biophysics, but I don't know anything about the program.

"When in doubt, leave it out". You could tell Stanford about everyone except Berkeley, and you could tell Berkeley about everyone except Stanford. Then you could avoid the biophysics-psychology "clash". Or, if you feel like you're given sufficient time to explain the "common research thread underlying", I think you should do that instead of omitting.

Some of both, yeah, hopefully I'll have time to explain adequately if they ask. One of the professors I'm interested in at Berkeley is cross-listed biophysics/psych, so that should help, and yes, the people I'm interested in at Stanford do fairly neuro things. With luck I won't get asked this much anyway and won't have to worry.

Some of both, yeah, hopefully I'll have time to explain adequately if they ask. One of the professors I'm interested in at Berkeley is cross-listed biophysics/psych, so that should help, and yes, the people I'm interested in at Stanford do fairly neuro things. With luck I won't get asked this much anyway and won't have to worry.

If asked, you could always just name the schools and let the professor come to what conclusion they want about the exact programs. So, instead of saying that you're applying to Stanford psychology just say Stanford. If pressed, neuroscientists know they are interdisciplinary and that neuro work gets done in other departments. Over here the neuroscience students can certainly work for somebody housed in the biophysics or the psychology department, so going into one of those programs when you are interested in neuroscience shouldn't bring up any red flags.

If asked, you could always just name the schools and let the professor come to what conclusion they want about the exact programs. So, instead of saying that you're applying to Stanford psychology just say Stanford. If pressed, neuroscientists know they are interdisciplinary and that neuro work gets done in other departments. Over here the neuroscience students can certainly work for somebody housed in the biophysics or the psychology department, so going into one of those programs when you are interested in neuroscience shouldn't bring up any red flags.

That's a good idea, thanks!

I just got back from my first weekend and the faculty definitely asked where I had other interviews and the other students did as well. In my case, it seemed that the faculty wanted to know what my decision criteria was for selecting programs (ie would it be difficult to convince this student to move across the country for a program) I think it's safe to mention it to them if they ask but avoid it if they don't ask. 

I'm getting so nervous about these interviews. I leave for my first interview in 10 days. Here's a couple more questions for you seasoned interviewees:

-Can I take pictures during the campus tours/city tours/facilities/events/etc? Not only will these help jog my memory when I'm done with interviews, but I thought it would be fun to share with friends/family/LOR writers I am eternally grateful for.

-I am working in the lab full-time right now, and although my PI knows about and is supportive of me going to these interviews, I'm wondering what my work-interview balance will look like in the middle of interview season. I have interviews for 5 consecutive weekends and the 6th interview is 2 days after the one before it. Basically, I'll only be able to work Monday-Wednesday during the weeks I'm interviewing -- I go into lab whenever I want, so I was hoping to clock at least 20 hours during these 3-day weeks as I'm really trying to complete a couple projects. Did you experience burnout? Or is the interview circuit exciting the whole way through?

How are you guys addressing graduate coordinators in emails? With professors, I always go with either Dear Dr. X or Hi Dr. X, depending on what seems appropriate for the conversation. Even if they sign emails with their first name, I still stick with using Dr. X until I am told in person to switch.

It is more difficult with coordinators though since I want to be polite but Miss or Mr never sounds quite right. I have been going with Dear FirstName LastName or Hi FirstName LastName and then if they sign the next email with first name, I switch over to using that. Is that similar to what you guys are doing?

How are you guys addressing graduate coordinators in emails? With professors, I always go with either Dear Dr. X or Hi Dr. X, depending on what seems appropriate for the conversation. Even if they sign emails with their first name, I still stick with using Dr. X until I am told in person to switch.

It is more difficult with coordinators though since I want to be polite but Miss or Mr never sounds quite right. I have been going with Dear FirstName LastName or Hi FirstName LastName and then if they sign the next email with first name, I switch over to using that. Is that similar to what you guys are doing?

With professors, I go with "Hello Dr. X", or, if they have signed off using their first name only, I will say "Hello A". A couple of the profs who have written to me have been informal and more personal, and I have felt comfortable beginning those emails with "Hi A". If your content is professional and you don't start off your email with "hey" or skip the "hello part" entirely, I imagine their eyes don't linger too long on whether you chose Dear/Hello/HI/Salutations/etc.

With coordinators, I have used "Hello/Hi firstname". I use Hello in the first instance and Hi thereafter, if they write to me beginning with "Hi". All of the coordinators I've emailed with have been friendly, informal, and accommodating, and I have felt no weirdness using "Hi".  

I am also woking full time and four of my interviews are connected consecutively within two weeks and I will be out of my lab for half month. I talked to some postdocs in my lab so that they will help me take care cell cultures and fly stocks. During the interval of your interviews, you can go to lab do some regular work and catch up some late projects. However, you can also use these intervals to prepare your next interview such as reading some publications of professors you will interview with.

Interview is more important and hence you should consider it as your first priority.

I'm getting so nervous about these interviews. I leave for my first interview in 10 days. Here's a couple more questions for you seasoned interviewees:

-Can I take pictures during the campus tours/city tours/facilities/events/etc? Not only will these help jog my memory when I'm done with interviews, but I thought it would be fun to share with friends/family/LOR writers I am eternally grateful for.

-I am working in the lab full-time right now, and although my PI knows about and is supportive of me going to these interviews, I'm wondering what my work-interview balance will look like in the middle of interview season. I have interviews for 5 consecutive weekends and the 6th interview is 2 days after the one before it. Basically, I'll only be able to work Monday-Wednesday during the weeks I'm interviewing -- I go into lab whenever I want, so I was hoping to clock at least 20 hours during these 3-day weeks as I'm really trying to complete a couple projects. Did you experience burnout? Or is the interview circuit exciting the whole way through?

I agree with NSG above, I'm sure your PI has had many graduate school applicants in their lab before and knows you will be less available for the next few months. Interviewing should be your priority; I would just work regular 8 hour days in your lab mon-wed and try to relax in the evenings. 

I am pretty nervous as well, but I'm trying to look at the interviews as fun adventures. I get to visit new cities (fo' free!), taken out to meals, excursions, etc. No other job/position in the sciences will ever try to woo you this hard! I'm hoping after the first acceptance my nervousness will go away and I can just enjoy myself :)   

I have been looking at the tone of the email and how they sign it. If it's relaxed and casual (which they pretty much have all been) and they sign with just their first name, I address them as "Hi FirstName..." 

I think you can take pictures?  I wouldn't necessarily be doing it when you are like on your way to/from interviews (you don't get a lot of time so stopping to take pictures when you are on a schedule may be a bit annoying to the student leading you around).  Definitely on campus tours or more relaxed situations go for it, I'm sure people understand and like to see the excitement you have for the school.

I had a lot of interviews as well and after awhile you get tired of traveling and coming back and getting ready  to leave within a few days, but it still was fun and my work was very supportive of my being gone.  I would guess that once you interview a few places and once you get an acceptance from your top choice, you will feel a little less "gusto" for the interviews, but I still learned a lot and approached each one with an open mind just in case, some places can really surprise you along the way.  My work understood that is how it works and generally I got a lot done in those three days of full time work and I just made up for it as I felt necessary.  You'll get tired week in and week out of doing interviews but in reality it isn't that exhausting its just the process of being gone pretty much every weekend for a month or two and not getting a chance to see friends etc or just like catch up on grocery shopping/errands.  You kind of live in/out of your suitcase for that time and I never bothered to get much in my apartment for food since I was spending 50% of my time gone. 

I love travel so it was fun but I got sick of eating so much!  

Always address as Dr. so and so until you have built a relationship with them.  Typically none of the PIs I know go by that, usually they want you to go by the first name only, but out of respect before I know that I always address them as Dr. so and so.  IF they sign their name as first name or whatever then I typically switch to that if I am communicating back and forth with them.  For any communication from interviews though, everyone was Dr. unless they were a grad student or admin. I met the coordinators and grad students and if they talk, referred to as by their first name I would address any thank yous to "mr/ms xyz" or "dear xyz".  I don't really know any coordinators that go by mr/ms. xyz all of them go by first name that I can recall from interviews, and in my current program.

I have an interview coming up this weekend and had a quick question about what to say in terms of giving a short spiel about my research (for explanation in passing, etc.).  I'm not currently working in a lab- should I focus on my undergrad microbiology research (as the program I'm interviewing at is  Micro program) or my most recent research experience?

I have an interview coming up this weekend and had a quick question about what to say in terms of giving a short spiel about my research (for explanation in passing, etc.).  I'm not currently working in a lab- should I focus on my undergrad microbiology research (as the program I'm interviewing at is  Micro program) or my most recent research experience?

I would focus on whatever is more relevant to your future research goals. If both are, then maybe give a very short summary of each and explain how they come to together to define your future goals.

I think you should have time to discuss both as well as what you're currently doing, even if it's not research. I remember having a nice conversation with a professor about good manufacturing practices as I was working QA at the time.

i mean if that is the only experience you have then you can talk about that.  you may have to explain why you arent doing research at the moment though.  

I just got my interview schedule for my first interview (6 days from now at Vanderbilt).

It appears I'm only meeting with TWO professors for interviews. On the schedule, there are four 40-minute slots, but only two of them have the name of an interviewer next to them. The other two are blank and follow the scheduled slots, like this:

10-10:40am: Dr. X

11-11:40am:

Lunch

2-2:40: Dr. Y

3-3:40:

Am I meeting with these two profs for two time-slots (1hr40) each? Or am I doing nothing in between interviews? Isn't two interviews a really low number of interviews? I don't understand.

I just got my interview schedule for my first interview (6 days from now at Vanderbilt).

It appears I'm only meeting with TWO professors for interviews. On the schedule, there are four 40-minute slots, but only two of them have the name of an interviewer next to them. The other two are blank and follow the scheduled slots, like this:

10-10:40am: Dr. X

11-11:40am:

Lunch

2-2:40: Dr. Y

3-3:40:

Am I meeting with these two profs for two time-slots (1hr40) each? Or am I doing nothing in between interviews? Isn't two interviews a really low number of interviews? I don't understand.

Sounds like they aren't sure who is going to be interviewing those other two times but they wanted to get you a schedule soon, which is nice.  Some of mine i got like two days beforehand.  I'd prep for those two.  things come up so you have to be flexible a bit with interviews i had at least 2 or 3 of my interviews where one of the faculty I was scheduled to meet with I couldn't do to like weather issues, one even had an emergency pipe burst that morning.  

An hour and 40 minutes is a loooooong interview, I'd feel bad for any recruits that would have two of those.  

Sounds like they aren't sure who is going to be interviewing those other two times but they wanted to get you a schedule soon, which is nice.  Some of mine i got like two days beforehand.  I'd prep for those two.  things come up so you have to be flexible a bit with interviews i had at least 2 or 3 of my interviews where one of the faculty I was scheduled to meet with I couldn't do to like weather issues, one even had an emergency pipe burst that morning.  

An hour and 40 minutes is a loooooong interview, I'd feel bad for any recruits that would have two of those.  

The email attached to this schedule said that a final schedule would be given to me during orientation (which is from 9-10am...right before my first interview). I guess I won't get to prep as much for the other interviews. Maybe one (or both) of the blank spots is with a member of the admissions committee, since these are the only 4 time slots on the entire schedule. I did ask to meet with Dr. X, but I hadn't even heard of Dr. Y before he appeared on my schedule.