For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

Edit: I think I can check into the hotel right when I get there....Maybe they just put 3:30 on the schedule as an estimate of when everyone would be arriving?

In my experience with hotels in general, check in is usually sometime in the afternoon (such as 3:00), but they are happy to let you into your room before that if it's already been cleaned and set up for you. So 3:30 might be the official check in time for the hotel. Even if the room isn't ready, hotels don't mind if you hang out in the common areas, so you could probably find a comfy chair to sit and read up on faculty. However, it also depends on how you are getting to the hotel. If they are reimbursing you for a cab, then you can head to the hotel whenever you want. However, if someone is picking you up, your arrival at the hotel will depend on when they come for you.

This is good to know, thank you!

Other question about rooming with another person (I am never out of questions...):

Did you ever have any troubles with your roommate? I'm imagining troubles of the sort of going to sleep at different times/waking up at different times (being noisy/being woken up by other person)/ other person uses all the shower's hot water/ etc?

I've never shared a room with someone I didn't know -- I never lived in a dorm on campus or anything like this.

I had roommates at only 2 of my interviews.  I had 0 problems with either of them.  they were fun and it was exciting to chat, learn about a possible new classmate!

For the most part you'll be close in your schedules, i.e. you'll be wanting to get up to get ready for interviews, stopping back before going out etc.  i would recommend just saying, hey do you mind if I am in bed by this time or if I wake up at this time to get ready?  My roomies were really accommodating and laid back.  Just set out something ahead of time if it is important to you.

You'll be in a hotel so you shouldnt have to worry about the amount of hot water.  

Ok so I just rechecked the schedule and my flight arrives around 10 am and I cannot check in to the hotel till 3:30  and events start at 5:30. This means I might have time to review before check in and possibly nap for an hour when I get to my room if needed. This makes things somewhat better.....

This interview is really short. Thursday evening and Friday all day and then I depart Saturday. Kind of wish they made it a day longer.

For now I can just review the faculty I chose and hope there is some overlap with the ones I interview with.

Edit: I think I can check into the hotel right when I get there....Maybe they just put 3:30 on the schedule as an estimate of when everyone would be arriving?

Does this happen to be for NYU? I was in this same situation last year. However, I remember our activities starting earlier than we could check in, so the first day kinda sucked for those flying in from the west coast (we had to get ready in the hotel lobby bathroom). But it looks like your situation isn't as bad. Good luck!

Does this happen to be for NYU? I was in this same situation last year. However, I remember our activities starting earlier than we could check in, so the first day kinda sucked for those flying in from the west coast (we had to get ready in the hotel lobby bathroom). But it looks like your situation isn't as bad. Good luck!

Yes it is for NYU. You interviewed with them last year? How was it?

Anyone else finishing up their first interview weekend? I would very much like to here others experiences. Here's a few thoughts regarding mine,

1) wow interview weekends are fun!

2) I'm really glad I didn't bring a suit. it's quite cold and I actually wore my coat during the interviews ha! I'm a guy, wore some nice leather shoes, khakis and a button shirt on the interview date. corduroys and sweaters on the day before and after interview.

3) one professor talked the entire half hour. another showed me RNA seq data from a recent experiment and asked me what protein interactions it might infer.

4) I think it's pretty clear who will be receiving acceptance invites and who will be waitlisted.. thats not to say the weekends aren't important though.

5) I've made new friends that I plan on staying in contact with (same interviews elsewhere).

6) enjoy yourself. you will be in an intellectually stimulating environment. you will see some incredible technology. you will hear research being done that will excite you!

Edited by yolk

4) I think it's pretty clear who will be receiving acceptance invites and who will be waitlisted.. thats not to say the weekends aren't important though.

I'm curious--how did you know who was receiving an acceptance or being waitlisted? (I'm more curious if this will be apparent to me at my interviews, haha)

3) one professor talked the entire half hour. another showed me RNA seq data from a recent experiment and asked me what protein interactions it might infer.

3) How did you feel answering the second professor's question? Did it start a conversation or did you just answer his/her question and then move on to talking about other stuff? I ask because this isn't the first time I've heard about being questioned during interviews but I've heard that generally questions aren't asked.

4) ??????? How was it clear?

Yes it is for NYU. You interviewed with them last year? How was it?

Yes, I did. I can't sleep on flights so I was sleep deprived, but other than that it was a pretty fun and relatively stress free interview. I would recommend comfortable shoes as you will be walking a lot (from hotel to the med center, med center to student housing, and from hotel to the dinner and bar)! My only complaint (other than the red eye) is that we didn't get a city tour or any free time to explore because the interview was so short. 

Thanks for the info Red_Two!

Since there is going to be a lot of walking involved in my interview....

Do you guys know of any girl shoes that are comfortable but also nice to wear at an interview?

When I think of comfortable, I do not think of formal or dressy shoes. Flats are not comfortable when walking a lot.

Edited by quietedge

Since there is going to be a lot of walking invloved in my interview....

Do you guys know of any girl shoes that are comfortable but also nice to wear at an interview?

When I think of comfortable, I do not think of formal or dressy shoes. Flats are not comfortable when walking a lot.

I bought boots by Naturalizer that are comfortable on the inside but look uncomfortable and dressy on the outside. Edited by pasteltomato

For the shoe question, I probably tried on every pair of black dress shoes at designer shoe warehouse.

And then finally went to jcpenny and found a pair of comfortable ankle boots that have a 1" heel that is very thick. Theyre not quite as dressy but boots are my thing. The brand is yuu and they have some other dressy shoes, and cost less than brands such as Clarks

I'm curious--how did you know who was receiving an acceptance or being waitlisted? (I'm more curious if this will be apparent to me at my interviews, haha)

I met a few others the first evening who have interviews lined up at top tens, and they all seemed to be under the impression that the decisions are largely made before the interviewers come. I was skeptical until I broke the numbers down and met some of the other interviewies. First the numbers. (50 interviewies)x(2 recruiting weekends)=100 total interviewies. The gateway program explicitly tells us (75% offered)x(100 interviewies)=75 offers extended and they can be sure that 30-35 will accept and decide to matriculate. So during my interview weekend there will be 12.5=13 total people who will be not getting accepted, and will likely be 'wait listed'. There were about six students I met whom I believe will be waitlisted. I have to be delicate here, but give you my honest feedback. Some weren't able to distill their research into a cohesive story/question/hypothesis. In fact most of their research experience was quite limited. They applied to a spread of other schools with no discernable pattern. Many hadn't received any other invites. Finally they talked non stop about the school and how they have been planning to come here for years. Please, please don't take what I said and let it fester you with anxiety. I think everyone was qualified, albeit at different calibers, in their own way. And again, I'm not the committee and I'm not a grad student. I could simply be flat out wrong. This is my first interview and I think every department is going to be different. The school I interviewed is a top 50 (don't feel comfortable naming it). I expect top 20 schools to be really different.

sorry for typos I'm really tired, but I hope this can be of some help.

3) How did you feel answering the second professor's question? Did it start a conversation or did you just answer his/her question and then move on to talking about other stuff? I ask because this isn't the first time I've heard about being questioned during interviews but I've heard that generally questions aren't asked.

4) ??????? How was it clear?

He didn't just pull out the data and ask me the question cold. He asked me about my research and I told him what I've done. He then started talking about his research and gently began asking me questions about some of the data on the page. It was very natural and I was kind of surprised I was able to give him answers lol! But I think it was the way he asked the questions very carefully and made me feel comfortable. Don't be afraid to take a few moments to furrow your brow and really think. If you don't know just say so (try not to get flustered and just mumble jargon). He was the only guy who asked me questions about data of the five interviews. There was one question I got asked over and over: "what are you interested in?". By the end of your first interview you'll have it down. Edited by yolk

Generally, should we also be concerned about dressing up for dinners? Or is the level of attire that is suitable for non-interview days also fine for dinner?

I'm wondering this too. I'll literally be rushing from my flight to just barely make it to the first dinner...I want to be wearing something at least somewhat comfortable on my 5.5 hour flight!

Generally, should we also be concerned about dressing up for dinners? Or is the level of attire that is suitable for non-interview days also fine for dinner?

My flight ran into my dinner, so I didn't get to go. Initially, I was told business casual, but with the weather and everything, they seemed to have changed their mind to casual. Not sure how the weather will be where you're at. But I don't see why you should dress in business attire for a dinner. I usually wear a simple dress or skirt with a sweater, which is what I would have been wearing if I went (with leggings and boots). A nice jean and top with a sweater should work as well. But honestly, I can't say. This may vary.

My flight ran into my dinner, so I didn't get to go. Initially, I was told business casual, but with the weather and everything, they seemed to have changed their mind to casual. Not sure how the weather will be where you're at. But I don't see why you should dress in business attire for a dinner. I usually wear a simple dress or skirt with a sweater, which is what I would have been wearing if I went (with leggings and boots). A nice jean and top with a sweater should work as well. But honestly, I can't say. This may vary.

I'm wondering this too. I'll literally be rushing from my flight to just barely make it to the first dinner...I want to be wearing something at least somewhat comfortable on my 5.5 hour flight!

Thanks for the experiential input future.grad.student!

And yeah, isilya, I'm in the same boat. I have a nice sweater-dress, leggings, and boots that I was planning on wearing during my flight to stay warm and cozy (and wearing boots means not packing the boots!). Sounds like the first night is kind of informal anyway so we'll probably be okay. 

I agree with Yolk- I largely believe Dartmouth had a pretty good idea who they wanted prior to interview. The interview is an opportunity for someone like me, lower on the totem pole to wow them (I didnt...) or for a top choice to show they're insane/terrible/not capable.

Since there is going to be a lot of walking involved in my interview....

A nice pair of leather boots can look dressy without being uncomfortable.  I find most shoes relatively comfortable so I wore both short heels (~2-3 inch heels) and leather boots (for the snowier/colder interviews) and I always had a flat and then a good walking shoe (typically wore that for travel days but also could work for a tour on non-interview day.

I only made it a point to be a bit dressier if there were faculty.  So I wore less dressy on non-interview day if the dinner or event included professors or deans/chairs etc.  If it was just grad students (like tours, out to the bars etc) I wore jeans and thought nothing of it.  to be honest though i think even after the interview I would have been ok wearing jeans and not feeling too out of place.  Some places take you out to really nice dinners and then its more of a to look ok for the restaurant.  if you get an itinerary which states where you are going for a dinner then just do a quick google to see the feel of the place and dress accordingly.  Some places also will have a big dinner at a faculty's house and have it catered (or sometimes even cook--yes for like 50-60 places i  had a place where someone was married to some chef).  anyway then again I think you could even wear jeans.  Don't stress too much about what you are wearing as long as you feel comfortable in it.  You can rock it.

I would almost bet there won't be faculty at that dinner.  you can maybe get a pair of casual non-jeans and wear those?  Or just wear a nice top and jeans and then quick switch at the airport when you get in.  I always popped into the airport restroom when I got in to make sure I didn't have like pen on my face or something if a grad student was coming to pick me up.  One time I had a dinner the night I got in and with delays and traffic I was running late but it wasn't faculty attended so I got to my hotel and just changed because once I was late I figured it' be ok to be 10 minutes more. That dinner was in my hotel so I could just pop in when I was done and I was barely a few minutes late (everyone was still eating).  Don't stress about running late on travel days....many interviews had people getting in late or delayed until the following morning and it happens especially since interviews happen during january and february when a lot of snowy weather disrupts things.  So being late or being a no-show people figure it out that it was an issue and no one holds you for it.  I will say that one time I was flying out and the weather was bad from where I was coming so I sent a quick email to the admin to let them know that my flight was still on track but there was a possibility that I may have travel issues.  They really appreciated the heads up if you know bad weather is happening or your city is still recovering to at least make them aware it could happen.  

I agree with Yolk- I largely believe Dartmouth had a pretty good idea who they wanted prior to interview. The interview is an opportunity for someone like me, lower on the totem pole to wow them (I didnt...) or for a top choice to show they're insane/terrible/not capable.

I'm going to chime in only since I have a friend that gave me some advice when she applied.  (she is now a postdoc).  She got an interview to a top 20 school and she had a friend affiliated with the program.  She found out later she BARELY got an interview, but apparently knocked their socks off in the interview and was one of their top candidates.  I will say that there are already the rankings or the people they want right off the bat, but once you are in an interview you can either make or break your case.  the interview is about seeing if what you are on paper is what you are in person.  Then additionally if you are really awkward, inappropriate, or a bit off hinged.  If you have a bad personality no matter your stats you'll be out.  So yes most people go to the interview and stay where they are, but I bet maybe 25-30% could easily move.  Schools will have their favorites coming in but that doesn't mean you are sentenced to last if that is where you started.  everyone goes back to equal playing field once you get to the interview.  

Thanks (as always :P) for all the great advice, peachypie.

I have a long question about the controversial topic of rankings. I did not choose my programs based on rankings -- I just wanted neuroscience programs that emphasized molecular, rather than systems/cognitive/psych neuroscience, that had a number of faculty involved in research that I thought was cool. I am familiar with how my programs are ranked by the National Research Council (NRC).

(If curious, you can find these NRC rankings here: http://http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124747/(raw numbers only) OR here: http://www.phds.org/rankings/neuroscience (more user-friendly; gives explanations and additional survey info for individual programs -- not just neuro)). 

I have become concerned with the "Students" ranking of two schools that I am interviewing at; although strong in every other component of evaluation, these schools scored poorly relative to the others (in the bottom 15 of all schools evaluated) in the "Students" category. Further investigation on the phds.org site has shown me that these schools offer all and almost all (17/18), respectively, of the resources linked by the survey to student success. The other programs, which had higher "Students" rankings, did NOT have as many resources offered to students (range 14-17). This leads me to wonder whether students must have reported other data, which I have not yet found, that would merit low scores in the "Students" category for the two schools that I am currently investigating. 

I know this ranking stuff is hooey, and the NRC stats are nearly 5 years old, but it's getting to me.  

So here's a few REAL questions that I would appreciate thoughts on/ an answer to:

1) Are current students ACTUALLY forthcoming about how much they like their program? In other words, when I ask them this at interviews, is EVERYONE going to smile big and nod and assure me that they wouldn't have had it any other way?

2) Is it ever appropriate to ask about a questionable statistic? A stat that I have not mentioned, but is also of concern, is that phds.org shows that only 33% of grad students graduate in 6 years at these two institutions, while the average time to completion is 5.8 and 6 years. Surely this means that either the stats are incorrect OR enough students drop out that these stats are actually correct (OR some students graduate extremely early while a larger number take longer than 6 years, pulling the average down to ~6 years while satisfying the 33% stat). Although it would be nice to have this resolved, I am apprehensive about mentioning a stat directly during an interview.

3) What are some other reasons that you can think of that may contribute to a low "Students" ranking? Keep in mind that "Diversity" is a separate category.    

Sorry for the long post! This has been bugging me for a week and I hadn't taken the time to ask you wonderful people for your thoughts.

1) Are current students ACTUALLY forthcoming about how much they like their program? In other words, when I ask them this at interviews, is EVERYONE going to smile big and nod and assure me that they wouldn't have had it any other way?

Well, when asked about the program I was honest about it. I'll admit that there may be some implicit pressure to talk the university up, but as long as we don't get the reputation of that guy who scares away the recruits we don't really have anything to lose by telling somebody to run. Also, it really is easy to tell the difference between somebody who is putting on a song and dance versus somebody who genuinely likes what they do. That's doubly true when we're drinking and we are going to be doing just that.

Do ask us about what it is like to live in the area. We can tell you if you're going to have to expect to live in campus housing, if you're going to need a roommate, or if you can actually pay bills on your own. We can also tell you what sort of time commitment you're going to be expected to make. FYI, if current grad students can't tell you where there are fun things to do you're looking at a program where you're expected to spend nights and weekends in the lab.

2) Is it ever appropriate to ask about a questionable statistic? A stat that I have not mentioned, but is also of concern, is that phds.org shows that only 33% of grad students graduate in 6 years at these two institutions, while the average time to completion is 5.8 and 6 years. Surely this means that either the stats are incorrect OR enough students drop out that these stats are actually correct (OR some students graduate extremely early while a larger number take longer than 6 years, pulling the average down to ~6 years while satisfying the 33% stat). Although it would be nice to have this resolved, I am apprehensive about mentioning a stat directly during an interview.

That's a really tricky one as nobody you'll be talking to will know the stats off the top of their head. I think it can be appropriate to talk a professor during an interview what they expect in terms of time to graduation in their lab. I also think it can be appropriate to ask current students about their impression of time to degree. But, either way you'll really just get general impressions more than anything concrete. Just, don't quote the site's statistics and make it an accusing tone, more ask it as an inquiry as such a thing is important for a recruit to know.

Also, once the formal interviews are done with the professors you can honestly breathe a sigh of relief. At that point it is still possible for you to do something that blacklists you, but it's going to be hard as you'll have to act very inappropriately. Remember, it's okay to drink, it's not okay to get shitfaced.

Something to keep in mind is that every school or department is going to carry its own faults/drama/issues. There's no such thing as a perfect problem free program. Try to decide what is most important to you and focus on that.

@pastel- instead of asking about stats, try asking some of the grad students about people making it through the program. Are students dropping out for personal reasons or departmental reasons? I found most people are very candid about discussing this. We've had a few leave grad school simply because it wasn't for them, but this invariably makes the stats look worse.