For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

I've completed my first interview (YAY!), but now have that nagging doubt about how the interview went. How can you even evaluate something like that? I mean, everyone was really nice, conversations never really stopped, and there weren't really any questions I couldn't answer, but still... I am sure others who have interviewed so far must be dealing with the same thing. How are you all dealing with it?

I had my first interview this past weekend as well! I just refresh these forums listlessly and get ridiculously anxious when I see my email tab change from "Inbox" to "Inbox (1)". But, no news yet...

I'm preparing for my next interview (I leave tomorrow), so that's keeping me distracted today.

Edited by pasteltomato

I had my first interview this past weekend as well! I just refresh these forums listlessly and get ridiculously anxious when I see my email tab change from "Inbox" to "Inbox (1)". But, no news yet...

I'm preparing for my next interview (I leave tomorrow), so that's keeping me distracted today.

I leave for my next one tomorrow, too! Trying to distract myself in the same ways you are, but it's definitely not helping!!  Good luck on your next interview.

Here's my question. Night out on the town with current students, heavily emphasized that it's optional.

It's not really optional is it? I'm worried if I don't go they'll think I'm antisocial or something.

Edit:

On Friday night, dinner with faculty and students. Then return to hotel and head out with current students at 10pm. The 10pm (I'm assuming bar) outing is the optional part.

Edited by BiochemMom

Here's my question. Night out on the town with current students, heavily emphasized that it's optional.

It's not really optional is it? I'm worried if I don't go they'll think I'm antisocial or something.

Edit:

On Friday night, dinner with faculty and students. Then return to hotel and head out with current students at 10pm. The 10pm (I'm assuming bar) outing is the optional part.

I wouldn't worry. They know a lot of people aren't into that. Shoot, I can hardly stay up past 10 pm. I don't think they will think twice about it. I'm sure you won't be the only one opting out. My second interview sounds identical - and they said several times, 'let us know if you don't want to participate." it's purely optional, for those who do want to go out and socialize.

Edit:

It really is optional. We stress this also. We don't want people to feel pressured into a situation you're uncomfortable with. I would say go for a least a bit if you can manage. It's a good opportunity to have casual conversations with students.

It really is optional. We stress this also. We don't want people to feel pressured into a situation you're uncomfortable with. I would say go for a least a bit if you can manage. It's a good opportunity to have casual conversations with students.

Edit:

My interview was in my hometown and I wasn't sure if I was going out. But we had dinner at the hotel with students and a few faculty then we had about an hour to go back to our rooms. I wasn't staying at the hotel so I ended up just going home, I had to let my dog out anyway. Plus I was born and raised in this town so I know all about what there is to do. I don't think it made a difference. I managed to meet and talk with pretty much everyone who was there, especially current students and a lot of the faculty.

Also I forgot to add this- when I interviewed at the school I wound up at I was only 20 so going out wasn't even an option for me. I didn't go and still got admitted. You still get to interact with students other times if drinking/bars aren't for you.

Okay, that sounds good. I frankly would like to go back to the hotel and Skype with my kid before she goes to bed instead of going out to a bar. :) I'm "work friends" with my current classmates in grad school (ms program) but I treat grad school like a job--I don't particularly like to hang out with my "coworkers" outside organized functions and "off the clock" (like we go out to lunch but evening time is family time and if my husband and I have friends over they're our friends with kids our child's age). I haven't gone out to a bar in almost ten years, haha

In desperate need of help. I have interviews at schools A,B and C. The problem is they are all on the same weekend (Thurs, , Fri. and Sat.)  I accepted the invite to school A because it came in first. School C was able to offer me an alternate date ( they don't offer this upfront so I have to assume this is good haha). The real problem is with school B. They are really wanting me to come down that weekend, so they are trying to get me in Wed. afternoon and leave Thursday morning. It would be a 3.5 hour trip to this school and then a 5.5 hour trip to the next school. Is this a good option? I'm concerned with blowing the second interview due to fatigue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

In desperate need of help. I have interviews at schools A,B and C. The problem is they are all on the same weekend (Thurs, , Fri. and Sat.)  I accepted the invite to school A because it came in first. School C was able to offer me an alternate date ( they don't offer this upfront so I have to assume this is good haha). The real problem is with school B. They are really wanting me to come down that weekend, so they are trying to get me in Wed. afternoon and leave Thursday morning. It would be a 3.5 hour trip to this school and then a 5.5 hour trip to the next school. Is this a good option? I'm concerned with blowing the second interview due to fatigue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Well, only you are able to know how you handle fatigue, but I think the 5.5 hour trip to school A (following your interview at B ) would be long enough for you to briefly prepare and maybe take a nap. Plus, it seems like the Thursday night of any interview weekend is very casual and you'd probably be able to get some good rest and preparation prior to Friday interviews. At both of the interview weekends I've been to so far, on Thursday night a number of the cross-country interviewees have gone to bed at 8 pm. I think you could reasonably attend all three interviews and be rested enough to perform well.

Edited by pasteltomato

When are the interveiws at schools A? Thursday or Friday? They are probably Friday as everyone will be arriving Thursday. Go to sleep as early as you can (obvious advice). You won't be the only one in this situation. Just make sure you know your research inside and out for the interviews and you will be fine.

When are the interveiws at schools A? Thursday or Friday? They are probably Friday as everyone will be arriving Thursday. Go to sleep as early as you can (obvious advice). You won't be the only one in this situation. Just make sure you know your research inside and out for the interviews and you will be fine.

Interviews start friday at school A, but there is a dinner w/ grad students Thursday night. I know my research pretty well haha been doing it full time for 3 years so that won't be an issue. 

If worst comes to worst, you can beg off Thursday's dinner due to exhaustion and I'm positive the grad students will understand! From my experience, they're really understanding of how tiring this whole process is and def want you to do well on your interviews. The only downside to missing a grad student dinner would be the missed opportunity to get their perspective on things but you'll have other opportunities for that most likely.

Edited by stygldbby

Interviews start friday at school A, but there is a dinner w/ grad students Thursday night. I know my research pretty well haha been doing it full time for 3 years so that won't be an issue. 

Then you should be fine. Honestly some people might not even make it till late thursday night depending on where they are coming from.

Not a question, but something that I just discovered that may be of use in interviews:

If you have a student host, get to know this person.

These people volunteer to be hosts, they know a lot about the pros and cons of the program, and the hosts I've had have been really cool. It's a perk if they are part of/will be meeting with the admissions committee. You never know what kind of surprises this person might drop in your inbox before anything official rolls out ;)

Some questions for the seasoned interviewees who accepted an offer and are now enrolled in a program:

-At any point, will I need to complete a FAFSA for funding purposes? I feel like I've heard of this before and I just want some clarification.

-How does one maintain energy and enthusiasm for interviews? I really only want to go to one more of these, but I'm actually going to four. Like MAN I just want a Friday morning that doesn't involve getting on a shuttle at 8 am.

-If I arrive in my new city/town of residence a month before the first term begins, would you think that it would likely be acceptable for me to begin my first rotation early (I don't need early pay, just something to do)?

-Is the first rotation really the hardest (because of the adjustment, etc)? Should I save the rotations I'm most interested in for later in the first year?

Edited by pasteltomato

Some questions for the seasoned interviewees who accepted an offer and are now enrolled in a program:

-At any point, will I need to complete a FAFSA for funding purposes? I feel like I've heard of this before and I just want some clarification.

-How does one maintain energy and enthusiasm for interviews? I really only want to go to one more of these, but I'm actually going to four. Like MAN I just want a Friday morning that doesn't involve getting on a shuttle at 8 am.

-If I arrive in my new city/town of residence a month before the first term begins, would you think that it would likely be acceptable for me to begin my first rotation early (I don't need early pay, just something to do)?

-Is the first rotation really the hardest (because of the adjustment, etc)? Should I save the rotations I'm most interested in for later in the first year?

I can't answer the first two but I can answer the last two.

Starting rotations early depends on the program you choose. Some programs will allow you to start early some won't. You will have to email the director of whatever program you choose to attend to figure that out. At my institution you can start early, but your stipend kicks in over the summer vs the fall. Say you get 30K that has to last from July 2015 to september 2016. Obviously you have to get the OK from the professor whose lab you want to rotate in. The PI's usually don't have a problem, rotons are free labor.

The first rotation is no different than the others. I guess it depends on how large of an adjustment grad school will be for you. If you've been out of school for a long time and are starting at a program that's on the quarter system, it might be a tougher adjustment. You should be fine regardless. I personally would start rotating in the labs I'm most interested in. If the PI is really popular and has multiple 1st years rotating through it you want to make a great impression early.

I didn't fill one out.

Try to think of it as a free trip to talk with interesting faculty, tour a campus, and be wined and dined.

That may be program specific, so I'd ask current grad students first.

You know, I didn't put any thought into it. For me, the toughest adjustment was because I had been away from school for a couple years and because I was TAing right away. The rotation was almost a comfort because it was the closest in feel to what I had previously been doing. It did take me maybe a week or two to really get back into the academic world, but it was a successful rotation overall.

No FAFSA.  All your funding will come from your school based on the programs and schools you've applied to.

-i get it but just try to relax and enjoy it as much as you can.  if you really like talking about research and your background as well as hearing about new ideas then this shouldnt be a drag it should still be exciting.  welcome to what the next few years will always be like may as well get used to asking questions and engaging.  consider it an opportunity to network and meet new people.

-that is HIGHLY dependent on the school maybe something to ask or take not of during your visits.  My program allowed summer rotations beginning July 1st, and you get paid starting then.  No school is going to easily get you to come in to start a rotation without you being a PhD student and on payroll.  I'm sure you could move a month early and start reading for your classes and meeting with PIs, but unless the school offers a summer start, no dice.  Some schools I interviewed at started in July with class, again all specific to the school/program.  I'd honestly take the time off if you can and you don't need to work during that time.  get to your new city AT LEAST a month beforehand and start settling in, getting your furniture, getting your internet etc setup and get your stuff.  Everyone started studying before classes start, and once it starts you won't get a chance as much to explore your new city quite as easily.  relax, you have the next few years to sell your time to the lab.

- I have no idea if the first rotation is the hardest?  I went with my top choice and I loved it and it depends on your program.  Some programs have you do a mandatory number of rotations in your first year, others don't have a minimum.  I'd say start with the one you are most interested in.  it does suck to stop your research and go to the next one BUT if you figure out the one you want to start and it works out well then the rest of your rotations aren't as stressful.  I had people in my program who rotated with someone and found out later that person wasnt going to have the funding.  whelp, thats one rotation wasted.  People right now are freaking out because they still haven't found a home or they aren't sure the PI will take them, or there is a lot of competition for the popular PIs...don't put yourself at hte back of the line for no reason.

Hey peachypie, I get what you're saying about interview weekends being a cool opportunity to talk about science. I guess I should have mentioned that my first 4 interviews are at places I am considering very seriously, while my last 2 interviews are at places that contacted me early in the waiting game -- and while I'm interested in those programs as well, now that I have a couple admits, my desire to take time away from my life and lab has diminished. I'm trying to finish my current project or at least get to a decent stopping point before I depart, and being away 4/7 days of the week, for 6 consecutive weeks, is making that difficult. I will still attend all of my interviews, but it's tiresome. I acknowledge that there isn't a real solution to this.

I would like to ask about moving, though. Does anyone have any opinions of when the best time to move is? I think it's probably easier to find an apartment in May than in June or July, but that also means living for a couple months without pay prior to starting school. When should I start looking on craigslist/trulia/zillow if I wanted to move in May/June? Any other moving tips you might have?

Hey peachypie, I get what you're saying about interview weekends being a cool opportunity to talk about science. I guess I should have mentioned that my first 4 interviews are at places I am considering very seriously, while my last 2 interviews are at places that contacted me early in the waiting game -- and while I'm interested in those programs as well, now that I have a couple admits, my desire to take time away from my life and lab has diminished. I'm trying to finish my current project or at least get to a decent stopping point before I depart, and being away 4/7 days of the week, for 6 consecutive weeks, is making that difficult. I will still attend all of my interviews, but it's tiresome. I acknowledge that there isn't a real solution to this.

I would like to ask about moving, though. Does anyone have any opinions of when the best time to move is? I think it's probably easier to find an apartment in May than in June or July, but that also means living for a couple months without pay prior to starting school. When should I start looking on craigslist/trulia/zillow if I wanted to move in May/June? Any other moving tips you might have?

I wound recommend moving as early as your finances / personal life allow. I worked a part time job before I moved, and most of the leases in my town start the first week of August, so I moved in then. It gave me a couple of weeks to get settled before orientation started. My sister stayed with me for a few days and then my boyfriend joined me.I had never lived in an apartment before so we had a lot of things to arrange. Also ask your program when you'll be getting paid so you can plan ahead. Those initial shopping trips for groceries, cleaning supplies, and household items were more expensive than I had anticipated.

I took a trip at the end of May to look at apartments and sign my lease. If you're able to look at places in person, I highly recommend doing this. I had to wait until after I graduated to go down, but I would say as soon as you commit to the program, look at going to find a place ASAP. My program also gave us a list of all of the other first year students- a great resource for finding roommates. If my boyfriend hadn't of been able to live with me, I would've reached out to them. Roommates make things cheaper, and living with other first years in your program already gives you a baseline of similarity. (And you have someone to navigate campus with!)

This may vary a lot from place to place. If you feel comfortable contacting somebody who already attends the program where you're planning to go, you should get in touch with them and ask questions about the where and the when of finding housing. For example, I'm in Bloomington, Indiana, where it's nearly impossible to find a lease that starts some time other than mid-August. (Although subletting is obviously an option. Likely a hassle, but still an option.) February and March are the prime time to find apartments here, and by May the options are more limited. However, other places might be more flexible. So depending on where you're moving, you actually might want to start looking into things now.