Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

Congratulations!! Out of curiosity, how much time passed between your interview and hearing back?? Thanks!

Thanks! I interviewed this last weekend (Friday 1/23 and Saturday 1/24) and heard this afternoon :) The director of the program called me and said I'd receive my official acceptance tomorrow

Edited by GABA-daba-doo

Does anyone know if UCLA is still sending interview invites out? Thanks!!

I just met a guy (I'm at an interview right now) who is going to a UCLA neuro interview next weekend. I don't know if it's the only weekend, though.

I just met a guy (I'm at an interview right now) who is going to a UCLA neuro interview next weekend. I don't know if it's the only weekend, though.

Thanks for the info! :) Yeah I know they have at least 2 weekends, hopefully I will hear but am not sure. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks for the info! :) Yeah I know they have at least 2 weekends, hopefully I will hear but am not sure. Good luck with your interview!

There's one next weekend, and then the third weekend of February. They sent out interview invites a while back (maybe a month ago?). They were asking everyone to book their tickets/request interviews by last week. 

First acceptance: UPenn! Like the above poster, interviewed this past weekend, heard today from the adcom chair who said I'd get an official letter soon. So excited!

Congrats! 

Got an unofficial acceptance form my POI (he said "as he understands," not in a matter of factly way and it was after I contacted him first) but haven't heard from department and its been over 3 weeks. They said we'd hear back from then in 2-3 weeks. :/

Edited by ineedanak

Got an unofficial acceptance form my POI (he said "as he understands," not in a matter of factly way and it was after I contacted him first) but haven't heard from department and its been over 3 weeks. They said we'd hear back from then in 2-3 weeks. :/

I would like to think that a faculty wouldn't say something untrue to get someone's hopes up, so perhaps the committee is just being a bit slow about churning out the official acceptances.

Does anyone know, in general, what the turnaround time is for an acceptance/rejection following an interview? The waiting game has multiple stages, each more anxiety-laden than the previous.

@pastel, is your program on the rolling admissions system, or was this the only/one of few weekends? If the former, you may not hear back for a while (this is what I was told at UNC). If the latter, all the non-rolling programs I spoke with said that they convene after all the applicants depart and they give offers within a week or so for the first picks, and then down the line. I have a feeling you're not going to be a second pick, though. I'm surprised they didn't disclose their turn-around time to you at the interview weekend.

Edited by blinchik

@pastel, is your program on the rolling admissions system, or was this the only/one of few weekends? If the former, you may not hear back for a while (this is what I was told at UNC). If the latter, all the non-rolling programs I spoke with said that they convene after all the applicants depart and they give offers within a week or so for the first picks, and then down the line. I have a feeling you're not going to be a second pick, though. I'm surprised they didn't disclose their turn-around time to you at the interview weekend.

This was the only interview weekend. They didn't talk about turnaround time, but I did ask my last interviewer when decisions would likely be made, and he said he had no idea and wasn't part of the process. It was confusing because my earlier interviewers had warned me specifically that "your last interview today is your most important one". I don't know what to think -- I thought the process would be more transparent.

Got my official acceptance today with a fellowship nomination! To note: this came 1 week after I heard about my unofficial acceptance (which was initiated by me not the POI) and it came 1 week and 3 days after the adcom met to make decisions.

Also came on a Sunday morning.

Edited by ineedanak

@pastel, I think you would be completely justified in contacting the program coordinator and asking about the turn around time in that case. Generally, programs will meet within a week or two, but the program you interviewed at could be an exception.

Has anyone applied to the Duke Systems and Integrative Neuroscience (SINS) program, and heard back one way or another?

I do know that CNAP has already sent out invites, but I was hoping by some grace of the gods that my application would have been referred to that program. I would email the grad coordinator, that's how I received my rejection notice. 

OK, thanks. I actually did ask the coordinator about a month ago and she told me invitations would be sent about 2 weeks before the Feb. 27th interview date for SINS, but that seems awfully late. 

Good luck to you~

Hey guys! Been reading this forum nonstop since January and decided to finally post something :) Somebody posted that Pitt (cnup) would start reviewing international applications last week, any news yet? Still haven't heard a peep and getting anxious, do you know if everyone will be notified? 

Hey guys! Been reading this forum nonstop since January and decided to finally post something :) Somebody posted that Pitt (cnup) would start reviewing international applications last week, any news yet? Still haven't heard a peep and getting anxious, do you know if everyone will be notified? 

Do international applicants have Skype interviews, or do you have a faculty sponsoring your travel to campus?

I know the in-person interview weekends are Jan 29-31, Feb 5-7, and Feb 12-14, but I suppose that isn't helpful if your interviews are over Skype/phone.

Do international applicants have Skype interviews, or do you have a faculty sponsoring your travel to campus?

I know the in-person interview weekends are Jan 29-31, Feb 5-7, and Feb 12-14, but I suppose that isn't helpful if your interviews are over Skype/phone.

That's great to know, thanks! I'm fairly sure it would be via Skype, since the flights are quite expensive from here. Have you been to the in-person interview already? If so can I ask how was it? Did you like the campus and the general atmosphere? 

That's great to know, thanks! I'm fairly sure it would be via Skype, since the flights are quite expensive from here. Have you been to the in-person interview already? If so can I ask how was it? Did you like the campus and the general atmosphere? 

I haven't been to the interview yet -- but I met someone at a different interview, who did her undergrad at Pitt, and she really likes the campus and program. That's all I know, though. I'm excited to visit and I can let you know how it is when I do go, if you'd like. Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

I haven't been to the interview yet -- but I met someone at a different interview, who did her undergrad at Pitt, and she really likes the campus and program. That's all I know, though. I'm excited to visit and I can let you know how it is when I do go, if you'd like. Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Based on google images, the city and uni look great :)  Thanks, that be would awesome! And good luck with the interview, fingers crossed