Updating CV post-application

rosiesg2

My publication was just accepted (2nd Author) Yay!! On the applications I submitted mid-November the paper is listed as "submitted." So, two questions:

-Is it worth it to contact the schools I applied to and tell them about the new status of my publication?

-How do I go about contacting the departments to update my application?

Thank you for the help! 

Congrats on the publication!

People will disagree on this. I'm personally of the opinion that an application is a snapshot in time and that everybody would love to update their applications a month after the deadline if they could, so updating the official application is a pain in the ass and you shouldn't do it. So I think you should get them the news informally: Tell your letter writers that the paper was accepted so that if they receive a phone call, they can mention it. If you get a phone call from a POI, mention it. If you go for an interview, mention it.

This is really subjective and I hope others will weigh in. I think you should also ask your advisor.

I would definitely update adcoms about an accepted peer-reviewed publication. I think it's big enough news to merit an email and a request to update your CV. I'd think differently about an unrefereed publication or a conference presentation, but publications are a big deal. 

I would suggest contacting someone at the department (admin person, or anyone else who the department has specified as the contact person for admissions purposes) and ask to update your CV since you've just had a paper accepted for publication. Attach the CV to the email. 

Thank you both for your input! I can see the merit in both arguments… I'll have to ask my advisor to break the tie. But I definitely think I'll update my letter writers! I didn't know that they may get phone calls.  :blink:

I've heard of contacting the admissions to ask them to just attach a note saying it was accepted. But alternatively, you can not reach out and save this information to drop in your interviews :)

I didn't know that they may get phone calls.  :blink:

Sometimes, but probably more common if they already know each other. They want to fish for details that might not be in the letter ;)  

Related question - do people send updated transcripts? I'm about to get a 4.0 this semester with some important classes. Realizing this made me wonder!

I don't think it is a big deal whether you get 4.0 GPA during the application season (i.e., it will not have much impact on admission decision). If they need your updated transcript, they will ask you for it, and  if you get admitted, for sure you will have to report your final grades! Nevertheless, congrats!! and I am so sorry, I didn't mean to pull your reputation down.. I am new to the grad cafe and thought that was the button to reply to your post.

• 4 weeks later...

My publication was just accepted (2nd Author) Yay!! On the applications I submitted mid-November the paper is listed as "submitted." So, two questions:

-Is it worth it to contact the schools I applied to and tell them about the new status of my publication?

-How do I go about contacting the departments to update my application?

Thank you for the help! 

I had a similar situation. One of my first author papers was "provisionally accepted" and another 3rd author paper was accepted. I sent an updated CV to my POIs (only ones that I had some previous communication with) and asked them if it were possible to update my application. Maybe I should have sent it to the admin people, but I figured it mattered most to those I am interested in working with. On that note, I did get one positive email back, so maybe it is worth it!

I received an R&R for a first-author paper, and I contacted both the graduate admissions coordinator of each program and my POIs (I've had contact with them previously). Some graduate coordinators were able to update my file, some were not. Some POIs replied (nicely), some haven't replied. I asked my advisor, and he said it doesn't hurt. 

• 1 year later...

Along these same lines, should I update for a 3rd author poster just accepted at APA in Denver 2016?  One of the schools I'm applying to uses a ranking grid, and it says:

0.5 = one or more conference presentations (including regional conferences, hospital research days, provincial undergraduate thesis conference, excluding the honours thesis conference at UOttawa)

1.0 = one or more peer-reviewed conference presentations at scientific meeting(s)

My first two posters fall in the first category.  I need all the points I can get, but I wonder if this is worthy of update or just mentioning if I get an interview.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest joshw4288
On January 26, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Piagetsky said:

Along these same lines, should I update for a 3rd author poster just accepted at APA in Denver 2016?  One of the schools I'm applying to uses a ranking grid, and it says:

0.5 = one or more conference presentations (including regional conferences, hospital research days, provincial undergraduate thesis conference, excluding the honours thesis conference at UOttawa)

1.0 = one or more peer-reviewed conference presentations at scientific meeting(s)

My first two posters fall in the first category.  I need all the points I can get, but I wonder if this is worthy of update or just mentioning if I get an interview.

I would not update your application with this. A 3rd authored poster would not be useful as a CV booster as it suggests that you are not even the presenter. 

Just now, joshw4288 said:

I would not update your application with this. A 3rd authored poster would not be useful as a CV booster as it suggests that you are not even the presenter. 

Along this line, do people ever specify whether or not they were the presenter? I was the third author on a paper presentation, and I was one of two presenters at the actual conference. 

On 1/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, Piagetsky said:

I read the description of "0.5 = one or more ..." to mean that you will get 0.5 points for this category with 1, 2, or 3 conference presentations. So, I wouldn't update the application since it will make no difference. But perhaps I am misinterpreting what you wrote?

I read it as .05 for regional conferences, undergrad conferences, etc., versus 1.0 for national conferences, and the two posters in question were accepted at APA, as opposed to the first two being an undergrad and a regional conference.  Doesn't matter because I've heard nothing from the school in question anyway, so I guess it's moot.  Thanks, everyone :)  Don't know how I'd maintain what little sanity I have left at this point without TGC!

Edited by Piagetsky
added

Guest joshw4288
10 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

I was the main presenter on one of my third-author posters.  

Generally it is assumed that the first author on a presentation is the presenter as it is assumed that the first author on a publication is the primary writer of the publication. In your case, I would note that you were the presenter in some way--perhaps with a star and a footnote?