Harvard 2015 Psych Applicants

Freudian_Slip

Starting a new thread for anyone applying to Harvard.

It would especially be great if some of those who have been contacted and posted on the Results page could share any more details here.

Has anybody received an official invite for an on-campus interview or just informal interviews that were PI specific? I'd also be interested to know from anyone applying to the Social Psych program and heard something, who their PI is? You can PM me. Thanks!!

Curious about the Social Psych person who posted they got an interview on 1/10. Looks like it varied a lot last year with interviews sent out between mid Jan.-early Feb. I'll die if I don't hear anything (reject, interview, or otherwise) until Feb.

Anyone else here find it odd how Harvard PIs don't seem to know if they are allowed to take a student until around this time of year? It seems their faculty have a points or ranking system for taking grad students.

hi 

I applied to developmental psych and haven't heard anything. before I applied I asked the dept when applicants could expect to hear back about interviews, and was told that each faculty member goes through the applications at their own rate, so there is no knowing when you might hear back,

To: charleswu.01  

Hi, I applied for Spelke and Carey. I emailed both before I applied to ask if they were accepting grad students but neither replied.  Who did you apply to work with?                                Thanks!

applied to Cognition, Brain, and Behavior. One of the people that I dicussed in my personal statement isn't taking new students, the other might...not sure yet

Who was the one not taking students? Considering we were at the interview together last weekend, I'm pretty sure we applied to similar people everywhere else haha

Curious about the Social Psych person who posted they got an interview on 1/10. Looks like it varied a lot last year with interviews sent out between mid Jan.-early Feb. I'll die if I don't hear anything (reject, interview, or otherwise) until Feb.

Anyone else here find it odd how Harvard PIs don't seem to know if they are allowed to take a student until around this time of year? It seems their faculty have a points or ranking system for taking grad students.

I think it's because they don't know their department budget until this time of year. That was the case at one school I just visited.

Who was the one not taking students? Considering we were at the interview together last weekend, I'm pretty sure we applied to similar people everywhere else haha

You had an interview for Harvard or somewhere else?

Looks like somebody already got rejected from Social today..

You had an interview for Harvard or somewhere else?

Looks like somebody already got rejected from Social today..

It was for somewhere else. I wish it was for Harvard already, that's one of my heavy hitters.

I was the rejection - came from POI email after I contacted him, so I don't think anything official has gone out.

Ah, sorry! Well at least you had more guts than I did to contact your PI...I'm going to hold off for at least another 2 weeks and then if I don't hear anything I'm sending an email out to most of the schools. (Not waiting to March just because they only send out Rejects when they feel like it).

Much Anxious Very Waiting- can you PM me/post your PI since I'm Social as well?? Also, are you sure they were taking grad students? Thanks!!

I'm social and haven't heard anything yet.

Much Anxious emailed their PI for Social and posted the reject (see earlier in thread). Other than that it seems maybe 1-2 people in Social may have received phone/Skype unofficial interviews--per the results pages

Some people here and in previous years have suggested that PIs at Harvard sort of send out interview invites each at their own pace...and who knows whether all feel the need for unofficial phone/Skype interviews. Harvard is still on break until end of January so seems pretty unofficial and erratic at this point.

To boot, I'm not even sure if my PI is allowed to take people this year. Oh the ambiguity!